Doing anything soon to be illegal in the UK

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 2:26 pm

According to the Guardian, it's soon to be codified in law that magistrates can invent new laws.

Quote:
The bill would permit injunctions against anyone of 10 or older who "has engaged or threatens to engage in conduct capable of causing nuisance or annoyance to any person". It would replace asbos with ipnas (injunctions to prevent nuisance and annoyance), which would not only forbid certain forms of behaviour, but also force the recipient to discharge positive obligations. In other words, they can impose a kind of community service order on people who have committed no crime, which could, the law proposes, remain in force for the rest of their lives.

The bill also introduces public space protection orders, which can prevent either everybody or particular kinds of people from doing certain things in certain places. It creates new dispersal powers, which can be used by the police to exclude people from an area (there is no size limit), whether or not they have done anything wrong.

While, as a result of a successful legal challenge, asbos can be granted only if a court is satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that antisocial behaviour took place, ipnas can be granted on the balance of probabilities. Breaching them will not be classed as a criminal offence, but can still carry a custodial sentence: without committing a crime, you can be imprisoned for up to two years. Children, who cannot currently be detained for contempt of court, will be subject to an inspiring new range of punishments for breaking an ipna, including three months in a young offenders' centre.

If the issue can't be resolved through political means - if the bill passes and is not repealed - then I suppose we shall have to take action which sidesteps it. Say, the development of technically privatised public space, collectively owned by a multitude of shareholders throughout the community but open to anyone.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 4:34 pm

Once you allow the government to disarm you, it's just a matter of time before they remove all your other rights and freedoms, too, because they know you cannot resist them, stop them or depose them.

When they have all the power and you have none, you are no longer their equal, therefore not a citizen, but a submissive subject.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 5:17 pm

The real question here is how soon will the Battersea Power Station be converted into the Ministry of Love/ MINILOV ?

Sherlock03
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 5:21 pm

Coming to a U.K near you.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbWbwD2nQvg[/youtube]

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 7:32 pm

Quote:
The bill would permit injunctions against anyone of 10 or older who "has engaged or threatens to engage in conduct capable of causing nuisance or annoyance to any person".

Gee, that's kind of broad. With that they could burn someones ass for just about anything. :roll:

I guess that's just life in a nanny state......

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 12:05 pm

So if your breathing is annoying to another person.......

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 1:32 pm

Raptor wrote:

It has nothing to do with it.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 2:06 pm

Tollorin wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Does too. Give a government too much power (a necessity for any nanny state) and sooner or later you have abuse of power, which this clearly is.
It really depend on what you're willing to trade.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
- Benjamin Franklin

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 3:30 pm

Raptor wrote:
Tollorin wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Does too. Give a government too much power (a necessity for any nanny state) and sooner or later you have abuse of power, which this clearly is.
It really depend on what you're willing to trade.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
- Benjamin Franklin

Don't confound economic power and the kind of power that got a police state. Québec would be what you call "a nanny state", yet such a law would unthinkable here. There is also many example of ultra capitalist country that were police state. (Like Chile under Pinochet.)

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 4:24 pm

Many voted for the Liberal Democrats believing them to be the civil liberties party... Cameron is the worst. It's almost reaching the point where failure to assassinate him would cause more harm than good!

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 4:42 pm

Wow, I've managed to create a link straight to PPR via NCE...

I move that we have a new forum, for political news and current religious events. Call it Flame News.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 5:49 pm

... and certain U.K. citizens like to criticize the American legal system ...

:lol: :roll:

Harrison54
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jan 2014, 6:11 pm

The bill was thrown out on the grounds it was too broad ranging and could be used to interfere with human rights.

Someone had some sense then :)

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 6:36 pm

that is not going to end well.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

08 Jan 2014, 7:12 pm

This is an idiotic bill and goes too far.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

MoonGateClimber
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jan 2014, 6:59 am

I wonder if the British read Ayn Rand.

Quote:
The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.