Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 1:05 am

KagamineLen wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
because of his disgracefully obsequious behavior towards the Korean madman and for the sheer unadulterated nerve he showed in insulting Kenneth Bae's family.

And if it were not for his outrageous hair and his piercings, he would have never been a marginal celebrity to begin with. He is truly desperate for any kind of spotlight. He is whoring for attention. And people are paying him. He most likely is vey much aware of what a freakshow this situation is. I am quite certain he is banking on that.

as joseph n. welch said to senator McCarthy, somebody should say to rodman, "at long last, have you no sense of decency, sir?"

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 1:16 am

Circus sideshows are not supposed to have decency.

And that is exactly the role hat Rodman is playing. He is a circus sideshow freak.

I do not know whether he should be chastised for his lack of shame, or pitied for the pathetic ways he is degrading himself just so people like you and I can talk about him.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 1:19 am

KagamineLen wrote:
Circus sideshows are not supposed to have decency.

And that is exactly the role hat Rodman is playing. He is a circus sideshow freak.

I do not know whether he should be chastised for his lack of shame, or pitied for the pathetic ways he is degrading himself just so people like you and I can talk about him.

the thing which originally stuck in my craw as well as the raison d'etre of this thread is the fact that he slandered/injured Kenneth Bae and mr. Bae's family, people who have done mr. rodman no wrong whatsoever. I never cared for bullies, especially butt-kissing ones.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 2:34 am

I watched the interview, and couldn't see anything wrong with what Rodman did.

I remember when Jackie Chan was asked about China's human rights record. Obviously he didn't say anything detrimental about the chinese government, but I remember wondering if that journalist was trying to get Jackie to say something which would get him killed. It was certainly a mean spirited question considering Jackie lives in China.

I feel the same way about what this Rodman situation. When the journalist asked Rodman that question, he set him up. There was nothing he could have done. If he said what he said, he faces attack from the USA press, and if he says something against Korea then he could very well end up in prison. I understand why anyone would get pissed off when visiting a country which persecutes speech, if they're asked to condemn that administration publicly on that nations soil. Rodman was probably thinking, "What would happen to me if I was dumb enough to answer this question in the wrong way?"

I also agree with what Rodman seemed to be saying. Before getting up in arms about an american citizen getting arrested, it might have been pertinent to establish what it was he actually did.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 2:46 am

^^^
I seriously doubt that was a possibility, as Rodman is Kim's best buddy. In fact, I think Rodman probably could have helped Bae by speaking to Kim if he actually wanted to.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 2:50 am

the devil himself has his defenders. this has always been the case and always will be the case until the end of time.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 2:54 am

auntblabby wrote:
the devil himself has his defenders. this has always been the case and always will be the case until the end of time.

I think people are judging Rodman too harshly. If I'm in the Soviet Union, I'm Stalins best friend, unless and until I can get out of the country. There are people who do speak out no matter what, and I applaud them if they achieve something, but those people usually end up getting killed.

Remember when Mohammad Ali went to Iraq and freed hostages? I'm not saying that Rodman is doing the same thing, but you never know.

One more thing. If NK is a completely closed society, then how do we know if any of the horrific stories that are said about it are true?

Last edited by Stannis on 20 Jan 2014, 7:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 3:00 am

Stannis wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I think people are judging Rodman too harshly. If I'm in the Soviet Union, I'm Stalins best friend, unless and until I can get out of the country. There are people who do speak out no matter what, and I applaud them, but those people usually end up getting killed.

It has to be recalled that Rodman went to North Korea by his own volition - no one held a gun to his head. Kim is actually a big basket ball fan, and is tickled pink that a famous American player like Rodman would be his buddy.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 5:17 pm

people have escaped from NK and survived to tell the tale.