Hand out a card explaining autism? What should it say?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BigSister
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jan 2014, 8:17 am

So I heard about a mother who, whenever people were staring at her autistic child, passed out a card explaining he had autism with information on what autism was and links the person could go to to learn more about it.

I thought that was a brilliant idea, a great way to turn what would normally be a 'let's all gawk at the autie' experience into an actual educational experience for said gawkers. I'm going to be nannying another child on the spectrum soon, who does melt down in public decently often, and I'd like to make some of those cards myself.

That said, I'm not sure what the cards should say. I don't want the bystander to leave with the impression that autism is a completely negative thing or anything like that - I'm looking to create understanding/acceptance as opposed to sympathy. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance! :)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 9:47 am

I like this idea. I am sure my mom would have done it if she had thought of it.
I remember I used to have t-shirt that said, "I'm autistic, what's your excuse?"
Like what's the excuse for your rude staring behavior?

Runedk
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jan 2014, 10:41 am

I find the description on wikipedia good enough. You can find some inspiration there when writing the text. I would like to share with you the following text from a danish brochure on Aspergers Syndrome. AS is of course also autism, but autism is not necessarily AS, so this text is just for us aspies.

Quote:
Asperger Syndrome is a neurological, invisible disability which some wrongly describe as a mental illness. Lorna Wing has lined out the difficulties of Autism in a triad, where the basics are difficulties in: social interaction, communication and thinking/imagination.

This does not mean that persons with AS cannot commit to relationships, communicate or imagine what other people think, but the seen indicators can be:
limited abilities in social interaction
limited or intense interests
verbal difficulties (including use and understanding of bodylanguage)
compulsive or unique routines
motor and perceptive difficulties
problems with the executive functions, which means problems with sense of time and planning.
Seen from the perspective of an aspie, it is a way of seeing the world which is more concrete, structural and more dependant on awareness than that of most people. Persons with AS must constantly work to understand their surroundings with their brain. This understanding does not come by itself; it is not intuitive.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jan 2014, 10:52 am

You might want to look at

http://www.buttonsandmore.com/

That's where I bought the button I wear on my baseball cap "I'm not ignoring you; I have autism"

The owner is the father of an autistic child. He calls himself "Richard, Sarah's Dad". He's got cards as well as buttons and all sorts of things.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jan 2014, 10:52 am

That's where I bought the button I wear on my baseball cap "I'm not ignoring you; I have autism"

The owner is the father of an autistic child. He calls himself "Richard, Sarah's Dad". He's got cards as well as buttons and all sorts of things.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jan 2014, 10:53 am

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 11:07 am

These cards [pack of 50] are available in the UK from the National Autistic Society. The item description may have the wording you require if you are unable to source a local solution.

ITEM DESCRIPTION

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 2:22 pm

How about . .

Quote:
People on the autism spectrum have sensory issues, just like people in general.

People on the autism spectrum sometimes experience meltdowns, just like people in general.

Now this is making a political statement.  And hopefully, the person reading the card can figure out the next steps.  A person on the spectrum might have different sensory issues or meltdown differently from the average person, and that's okay.  A person on the spectrum might even meltdown more often than the average person, and that's okay, too.  The person should not be discredited as a human being because of this.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 3:13 pm

This idea seems far too presumptuous.

People who stare at a child aren't necessarily staring because the child is displaying autistic behaviors. Also, one ought not assume that these starers aren't already knowlegdable about autism.

Also, there is an excellent point hidden in the idea about adding to the cards the fact that some of the behaviors that may be considered specifically autistic are actually things that non-autistic people also do: if you are passing out autism-specific cards to explain behavior that exists outside of autism, you are actually working against the effort to make it understood that non-autistic people do the same things by explicitly connecting those things to autism.

You could also be seen as implicitly promoting the idea that autism is some weird, gawk-worthy thing by trying to explain it, especially with a delivery as bizarre as handing out unsolicited informational cards to strangers. I mean, on one hand we're discussing sending the message that autism is not as big a deal as these staring people presumably make it out to be, but on the other hand, we're talking about taking actions that can easily be inferred to imply that it is a big deal. These seem like incompatible goals.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 3:33 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
How about . .
Quote:

People on the autism spectrum sometimes experience meltdowns, just like people in general.

Now this is making a political statement.  And hopefully, the person reading the card can figure out the next steps.  A person on the spectrum might have different sensory issues or meltdown differently from the average person, and that's okay.  A person on the spectrum might even meltdown more often than the average person, and that's okay, too.  The person should not be discredited as a human being because of this.

Mm, I'm not sure, saying, "Just like people in general" devalues the autistic experience. We don't have sensory issues just like people in general, because if we did they wouldn't be called sensory issues, and we wouldn't have meltdowns over them. As for most people, they stop having meltdowns or temper tantrums by the age of four or five... seeing an eight, nine, ten-year-old, adult act that way is going to be very strange to people in general. Perhaps a better approach would be to leave the "people on the autism spectrum have sensory issues/meltdowns" then explain what they are and why they happen, giving people a better understanding of the differences between our experiences and theirs.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 5:40 pm

BigSister wrote:
So I heard about a mother who, whenever people were staring at her autistic child, passed out a card explaining he had autism with information on what autism was and links the person could go to to learn more about it.

I thought that was a brilliant idea, a great way to turn what would normally be a 'let's all gawk at the autie' experience into an actual educational experience for said gawkers. I'm going to be nannying another child on the spectrum soon, who does melt down in public decently often, and I'd like to make some of those cards myself.

That said, I'm not sure what the cards should say. I don't want the bystander to leave with the impression that autism is a completely negative thing or anything like that - I'm looking to create understanding/acceptance as opposed to sympathy. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance! :)

I think it should be pointed out that only intelligent people would bother taking the time to learn anything, and those intelligent people wouldn't "gawk" at anyone because of some kind of difference, especially when, to them, it looks like a simple tantrum. The judgmental will still be judgmental, even after having something explained to them in detail and even as though they were 5 years old (which most of them tend to act like anyway).

If you want to hand out cards explaining Autism, the best thing to do is to debunk a small myth relating to the episode itself, and provide links to factual information. If you were to do that, you'd probably be fine. Though I wouldn't expect anything to change on the whole, and I certainly wouldn't expect people to take it seriously enough to change themselves or others.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 7:47 pm

How about . .
Quote:

That quote makes me feel antzy. It's trying to say "We're all on the same page isn't that wonderful?"

Uh, no, we're not all on the same page. The sensory issues of the autistic are NOT just like those of "people in general", not the meltdowns.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

BigSister
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jan 2014, 8:18 pm

I saw someone who compared autism to being left handed before and I think that was an apt comparison (and am asking them if I can borrow their metaphor). Because the world is made for people who are right handed. If you're left handed in many cultures, people will try to change you and force you to use your right hand even though you're not good with it. But left handed people aren't inherently any lesser than right handed people - it's just that society isn't made for them. Some things they can do better than right handed people, like being left handed is an advantage in a lot of sports. Other things they have to use 'special accomodations' like finding a left handed pair of scissors; without those accomodations, they'd struggle. And some things they just plain will really struggle with, like trying to eat at a dinner table next to a right handed person without elbowing them. And then I was going to add that if I was passing them the card, it was probably one of those latter moments...and then add a link, saying if they wanted to learn more about autism, they could do so by going to the website.

The other person phrased it better (which is why I'm asking to use their version), but I still think it's a good metaphor and a nice, brief introduction. What do you guys think? And thanks for all the help so far! :)

BigSister
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jan 2014, 8:35 pm

starkid wrote:
This idea seems far too presumptuous.

People who stare at a child aren't necessarily staring because the child is displaying autistic behaviors. Also, one ought not assume that these starers aren't already knowlegdable about autism.

Good point about gawkers being knowledgeable about autism. Just going by population overall, it's pretty unlikely (at least where I live), but I hadn't considered the possibility and should have... Although I would say that if people are staring, it's probably because of autistic behaviors. People definitely stare at stimming, melt downs, etc.

Quote:
Also, there is an excellent point hidden in the idea about adding to the cards the fact that some of the behaviors that may be considered specifically autistic are actually things that non-autistic people also do: if you are passing out autism-specific cards to explain behavior that exists outside of autism, you are actually working against the effort to make it understood that non-autistic people do the same things by explicitly connecting those things to autism.

Hopefully the left-handed thing would work well with that.

Quote:
You could also be seen as implicitly promoting the idea that autism is some weird, gawk-worthy thing by trying to explain it, especially with a delivery as bizarre as handing out unsolicited informational cards to strangers. I mean, on one hand we're discussing sending the message that autism is not as big a deal as these staring people presumably make it out to be, but on the other hand, we're talking about taking actions that can easily be inferred to imply that it is a big deal. These seem like incompatible goals.

Okay, that is kind of bizarre now that I think about it. Starting to wonder how awkward it would be, or if I should just memorize the cards and say them verbally...

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 11:48 am

Sethno wrote:
How about . .
Quote:

That quote makes me feel antzy. It's trying to say "We're all on the same page isn't that wonderful?"

Uh, no, we're not all on the same page. The sensory issues of the autistic are NOT just like those of "people in general", not the meltdowns.

Here's what I hope for, that someone understands both that my sensory issues are on the range which they also experience AND these issues can cause me significant problems depending on the circumstances.

Kind of like a movie which works or a really good book, I hope for the artistic tension in which a person kind of understands both and can kind of hold both in their mind.

And similar to the issue of jobs. Right now I'm working at MegaMart* (not its real name) for slightly above minimum wage, even though I have a college degree and I feel a lot of abilities and skills.

At times, I have thought on the topics of both jobs and social inclusion: I have slightly different, and I because of that I am often substantially excluded. Yes, it's the other person's loss, but all the same, it's my loss, too.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 7:10 pm

I think the cards are well worth experimenting with.

And really, a person who stares at an autistic child is being rude. And matter-of-factly offering them a card is less confrontational than verbally saying something.

The person is likely to accept the card and is likely to read it. And they might even look up the links.