Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 3:58 pm

The DSM 5 created a mess at least temporally and we all are forced to deal with it. There is no HFA in the DSM 5 only 3 levels 1,2,3 based on levels of support that is judged to be needed.

DSM 5 is a guideline, psychologists are not forced to use it. But the insurance companies drove this change. They like those neat little numbers and were probably unhappy with the explosion of diagnoses. It would be interesting if the US government keeps Aspergers in thier 2014 manuals.

The DSM 5 recommended that those previously diagnosed with Aspergers keep their diagnosis with the name changed to Autism Spectrum Disorder.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 9:56 am

its all autism,albeit a spectrum of unique differences and difficulties between each individual.
the DSM is just finaly catching up with what lorna wing originaly meant when she came up with the term ASD.