Random rapid thoughts make difficult to sleep

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 3:41 pm

I usually "think" myself to sleep. I pick a subject and keep going with it until I'm asleep. It didn't work that well this morning, though, when I tried going back to sleep after only 4 hours of sleep. As I fell into a deeper sleep, I would be bombarded by this rapid succession of random, unconnected thoughts and as I was "thinking" myself to sleep I kept trying to make sense of them all, but I think I couldn't due to the random, disconnected nature of the thoughts, which resulted in aggravation and panic, and immediately I woke back up! The rapid succession of thoughts stopped after waking up. I then tried to go back to sleep and the same thing happened again, and I didn't feel too good after that. I had to call in at work today (with approved sick time I have remaining) and I was finally able to get a few more hours of sleep.

The first time I tried to sleep, some of the images included the Zelda II: Link's Adventure video game and somebody wearing a black cloak and my mind tried to reconcile all this, but couldn't.

The second time, I can remember only one image: Treno from Final Fantasy IX, where I also kept changing my position and perspective in the town. Again, I tried to reconcile the disparate images, but couldn't.

The last time I had this issue was back in May, when within a few days my body started feeling like it wasn't put together right (like the way my arms were put in their sockets was just a little off) and I started thinking everybody was always watching me, all eyes looked to be on me. Because of this, I think it would be best to take the day off and reduce my level of stress.

Voider
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2014, 4:04 pm

I understand this whole situation completely. Every night I waste several hours just to try to get myself to sleep. What I do to resolve this from time to time, is by doing some exercises to tire my body in order to counter the excessive amount of thought processing occurring in my brain. If it gets any worse though, I would advise you to take a form of medication to ease the hyperactivity of your thinking patterns. While I personally take Benadryl, not all medications work the same for everyone. If for example, one medication isn't working appropriately, you can explore different options if your want to. Hope my advice helps you out.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 4:55 pm

Benadryl does help me sleep (and in fact for me is a surefire cure for akathisia), and I also take PRN Clonazepam. The only this I don't have this problem every night and I don't know when I go to sleep if I'm going to wake up 4 hours later, or 6 hours later, or 8 hours later. I don't want to take such medication every night because I might just end up becoming dependent on it to sleep.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 5:20 pm

i think myself to sleep as well, I often make up whole stories, sometimes when you don't direct your thoughts when trying to get to sleep it can get disturbing.

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 5:57 pm

I get this every couple of months and have learned not to fight trying to get to sleep once you can't. I totally understand the racing thoughts and I also can have the most unpleasant dreams at this time too.

I usually put the tv on and keep the sound low and surprise myself by sometimes waking several hours later having nodded off with the tv still on. I also read somewhere that you should get up, go to the kitchen drink some milk then read a short while before attempting to sleep again.
I take comfort from knowing it doesn't happen every night and I will get a usual night's sleep soon again.

Fogpatrol
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jan 2014, 6:31 pm

Melatonin suplement work great as long as you know you will have enough time to sleep for 7-8 hours.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 6:34 pm

The same thing happens to me whenever the season happens, though it only lasts a night. The thing is that I have a bad habit of logging onto WP when it happens. I'll try reading the next time.