Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2014, 10:48 am

Who here hits their head when distressed/overloaded/overwhelmed?

Trontine
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jan 2014, 10:50 am

I've been known to do that on several occasions, but just at home, I think.

zaneaspie
Raven
Raven

12 Jan 2014, 10:55 am

Me. It's a very ingrained behaviour of mine.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2014, 11:18 am

I do it

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2014, 12:48 pm

My daughter used to do this when she was an infant. I remember her sitting on the floor, in the kitchen, in a rage. She bent down and hit her head repeatedly on the ground. It used to leave a slight mark on her forehead.

Does head hitting signify anything? She has some Aspie traits. But, I have my doubts. Particularly, since she has really good coordination.

Fogpatrol
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jan 2014, 12:49 pm

Yep, from a slap on the forhead all the way to smashing my head into a wall to hurt myself. The later it occured probably a handfull of times throught my life but they are all memorable meltdowns.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2014, 1:20 pm

With both fists, anywhere.

Makar

12 Jan 2014, 1:37 pm

I do. I don't even know why, it's just what I get the urge to do in those situations.

When I was 11 I was sent to summer camp. When it ended and I was taken home I felt very strange, like I was in a dream. It felt like I had disconnected from my emotions in a way but I also felt very overwhelmed and distressed. I wandered outside onto the porch and started hitting my head as hard as I could on the side of the house. I guess it was so loud my parents could hear it and my dad came downstairs and dragged me inside and screamed at me. He was afraid maybe someone else in the neighborhood had noticed. It was like watching a movie of it happening to someone else.

Of course, no one ever considered the possibility that there was anything wrong with me other than bad behavior.

Last edited by Makar on 12 Jan 2014, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2014, 1:49 pm

Me.

Love transcends all.

binaryodes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2014, 1:54 pm

yeh when extremely overwhelmed I did this at home. Just remembering it is a little painful

binaryodes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2014, 1:56 pm

Makar wrote:
I do. I don't even know why, it's just what I get the urge to do in those situations.

When I was 11 I was sent to summer camp. When it ended and I was taken home I felt very strange, like I was in a dream. It felt like I had disconnected from my emotions in a way but I also felt very overwhelmed and distressed. I wandered outside onto the porch and started hitting my head as hard as I could on the side of the house. I guess it was so loud my parents could hear it and my dad came downstairs and dragged me inside and screamed at me. He was afraid maybe someone else in the neighborhood had noticed. It was like watching a movie of it happening to someone else.

Of course, no one ever considered the possibility that there was anything wrong with me other than bad behavior.

My parents were like this. Whenever I reached that point it was dismissed as tantrums or acting out.

redcatbluecat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2014, 1:56 pm

In meltdowns yes. I hit my head or slap myself round the face. I've done it since I was a kid. I'm lucky I haven't severely hurt myself on a few occasions.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2014, 1:58 pm

I whack my head with the palm of my hand several times during an outburst. I sometimes whack myself in the face too. It's just another way of expressing how angry I am with myself. I hate the way my brain is wired and I hate having Asperger's, which is what I do the head hitting for. Irrationally I seem to think that by hitting my head, my brain will feel sorry for me and wire itself into an NT brain. I'm smart enough to know that doesn't happen, but when I'm in a rage over something I go all irrational.

I do worry that I will eventually do damage to my brain. But I don't get headaches after an outburst. Well, I do, but it's that type of headache I get where my blood has rushed around my body too fast, giving me a beating headache. But I don't get those other types of headaches where I feel I have done any damage. It's my hands I bruise every time.

Wags
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jan 2014, 4:34 pm

Yep I do. I don't punch with my fists, but with the palms of my hand.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2014, 4:39 pm

I do, I hit my head on the wall or on the floor.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2014, 6:18 pm

i do, i also pull my hair and throw things.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com