did your child crawl and accept tummy time as a baby?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MMJMOM
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 2:29 pm

Just interested casue my ASD son didn't crawl and HATED tummy time, and he now has a ton of OT issues and I have recently read that babies who don't crawl can have these issues and speech issues too.

Interested in others experiences!

M-, who would be 6 1/2, my forever angel baby
E- 1 year old!! !

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 2:46 pm

Our son had no issues crawling but he absolutely hated tummy time b/c even then I think he had a low frustration tolerance, and it was hard to pull himself up. He did more than the recommended amounts, but I divided it up into different segments.

I have heard that about crawling also b/c it has to do with having issues with synching up the two hemispheres of the brain. So I am guessing that if the brain is not synching it makes it hard to coordinate four limbs.

That said, we had no problems crawling but never mastered the tricycle (could not coordinate steering and pedaling), cannot mimic hand and body motions well, has horrible handwriting, was delayed on the milestone reflexes, did not gesture as a baby, and rarely will now, has alot of NVLD kind of issues with that kind of thing, had trouble crossing his midline etc.

So, I guess the answer is that they may be early indicators, but I don't know if that is figured into early detection, these days, or not.

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 10:06 pm

Funny. She detested tummy time. Never rolled. Only crawled briefly at about 9 months old (was immobile till then) and then only crawled for a few weeks before she started "cruising". She did not walk independently until about 15 months. I was concerned, but her ped insisted it was due to her being very large... which she was. When she was one she was over 30 lbs.

Dmarcotte
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jan 2014, 9:35 am

My daughter hated tummy time and eventually instead of crawling she would scoot on her but. She could crawl, but preferred the scooting. She did later have OT issues. However my husband also was a scooter and he is NT with not OT issues.

MiahClone
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2014, 11:36 am

My oldest (HFA) didn't have a lot of tummy time where he actually raised his head and looked around, because he had very low muscle tone. He would mostly just lay there looking whichever way we put him down. He couldn't properly hold his head up until he was about 6 1/2 months old. His upper body has the low muscle tone, but his legs are normal tone, so once he had his head movements worked out, he went to standing. He was walking on his own by 10 months. It took the OT's a long time to teach him to crawl. He was probably around 4 before he learned. They had managed to teach him to pedal a bicycle/tricycle first. And I did hear that bit about non-crawlers being more likely to need OT. I don't think the not crawling contributed to his problems. I think it was a symptom.

My youngest (AS) has normal muscle tone, crawled and was happy to be on his belly as an infant. He has good gross motor skills now, too. I watched him closely for fine motor skills when he was younger. He had no trouble meeting milestones like stacking blocks, pincer grasp, scribbling, etc. He is having trouble with the visual motor integration needed to write, though. He has some vision issues though, so that probably is what is affecting that.

nolaclane
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jan 2014, 2:28 am

Yes my baby started crawling at 6 months and he loved the tummy time. So I did not have anything to worry about.

MMJMOM
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 8:03 am

nolaclane wrote:
Yes my baby started crawling at 6 months and he loved the tummy time. So I did not have anything to worry about.

does your child now have OT/PT and or speech delay?

M-, who would be 6 1/2, my forever angel baby
E- 1 year old!! !

sigh
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jan 2014, 6:11 pm

My son did not really enjoy tummy time, had issues with core strength and never crawled. He started walking around 14 mos. He had slow reflexes & when walking he would trip and wouldn't put his hands out fast enough. Most of his pictures before age 2 he has a bruise on his forehead.

He's always been a little uncoordinated and although he always hit his milestones other than crawling, he was always a little behind the curve. On a positive note he never had an issue with participating in PE activities in school and earned a 2nd degree black belt in taekwondo.

My son did have OT issues when younger and still does to some extent. Speech was only an issue in kindergarten when he developed a stutter but that disappeared after a year of speech therapy (it was apparently a precursor to his Tourette's). He has a slow processing speed and has recently been diagnosed with a mild ASD. He always functioned well enough to not fit the diagnosis until puberty hit.