Page 3 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 7:25 am

*sigh*

thewhitrbbit wrote:
I have no problems with the death penalty when:

2.) The crime is deserving (rape, murder)

Raptor wrote:
Actually, if a family member/relative of mine were a child molester I'd tie the hangman's noose for them.

Please allow me to repeat myself. I'm a man of copy and paste.

GGPViper wrote:
Offender concerns

1. Man rapes victim.
2. Man is left with a choice: (A) kill victim or (B) let victim live.

(A) has the advantage of eliminating a testimony which would put the rapist at risk of being convicted. If he also gets rid of the body, there is no physical evidence and little to no chance that he will be convicted.

(B) has the advantage that rape is a lesser crime than murder, and should he be convicted, he would face a lighter sentence if he decided to let the victim live.

If one introduces the death penalty for rape, or any sentence which differs little from the sentence for murder, one is actually encouraging rapists to kill their victims.

Furthermore, since psychopathy seems to be more prevalent among convicted rapists (I have found figures ranging from 12 to 40 percent based on US data) than among the general population (estimated at approx. 1 percent), one would expect the average rapist to display more psychopathic traits than the average Joe.

And the current research suggests that psychopaths tend to overestimate rewards compared to punishments. A psychopath would thus be more likely to appreciate action A (the potential of walking away free = pure reward) compared to action B (getting a lighter sentence = less punishment).

Victim concerns

Assume that there was indeed a zero tolerance policy towards rape which resulted in the death penalty.

How would a rape victim then react if he or she believed that the offender should be punished, but that the offender should not be put to death? The only viable option would then be not to report the rape in the first place...

Imagine for instance a sexual assault against a child (which is usually the scenario where the call for the death penalty surfaces most frequently). These assaults often involve family members or close acquaintances. Are we to believe that a child would report a brother, father or uncle knowing that they would get the needle?

Summary

Imposing the death penalty for sexual assault would introduce an incentive for escalating the crime, and it would introduce a disincentive against reporting the crime.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 8:24 am

people who wish to commit suicide and who are also grandiose are able to have themselves killed and make it look like it was someone elses fault.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 3:33 pm

thinkinginpictures wrote:

Why are they still executing the mentally disabled? The US Supreme court outlawed that in 2002 and the guy has an IQ of 70. But I guess states still break that law and that is something I find annoying and have a problem with.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 6:52 pm

GGPViper wrote:
*sigh*

thewhitrbbit wrote:
I have no problems with the death penalty when:

2.) The crime is deserving (rape, murder)

Raptor wrote:
Actually, if a family member/relative of mine were a child molester I'd tie the hangman's noose for them.

Please allow me to repeat myself. I'm a man of copy and paste.

GGPViper wrote:
Offender concerns

1. Man rapes victim.
2. Man is left with a choice: (A) kill victim or (B) let victim live.

(A) has the advantage of eliminating a testimony which would put the rapist at risk of being convicted. If he also gets rid of the body, there is no physical evidence and little to no chance that he will be convicted.

(B) has the advantage that rape is a lesser crime than murder, and should he be convicted, he would face a lighter sentence if he decided to let the victim live.

If one introduces the death penalty for rape, or any sentence which differs little from the sentence for murder, one is actually encouraging rapists to kill their victims.

Furthermore, since psychopathy seems to be more prevalent among convicted rapists (I have found figures ranging from 12 to 40 percent based on US data) than among the general population (estimated at approx. 1 percent), one would expect the average rapist to display more psychopathic traits than the average Joe.

And the current research suggests that psychopaths tend to overestimate rewards compared to punishments. A psychopath would thus be more likely to appreciate action A (the potential of walking away free = pure reward) compared to action B (getting a lighter sentence = less punishment).

Victim concerns

Assume that there was indeed a zero tolerance policy towards rape which resulted in the death penalty.

How would a rape victim then react if he or she believed that the offender should be punished, but that the offender should not be put to death? The only viable option would then be not to report the rape in the first place...

Imagine for instance a sexual assault against a child (which is usually the scenario where the call for the death penalty surfaces most frequently). These assaults often involve family members or close acquaintances. Are we to believe that a child would report a brother, father or uncle knowing that they would get the needle?

Summary

Imposing the death penalty for sexual assault would introduce an incentive for escalating the crime, and it would introduce a disincentive against reporting the crime.

That will never wash with me. By that logic why not just de-criminalize sex crimes?

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 7:31 pm

Raptor wrote:
Actually, if a family member/relative of mine were a child molester I'd tie the hangman's noose for them. Hell, I'd even pay for the rope!
I'm serious.

Aw. You're so sweet.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 11:02 pm

This is one issue that I feel truly conflicted over. One one hand, I feel it should be strictly reserved for the most evil among us (serial killers, rapists, terrorists), and carried out quickly rather than letting them spend 20 more years in jail. Then again, I'm not God, so I have no idea when someone's heart has grown so cold they'll no longer repent for their crimes. I don't like the idea of forcing someone to face God's eternal justice too quickly.

Either way, one big problem is the current condition of the American prison system. Most hardcore criminals don't appear to fear losing their freedom, and I think one reason is that conditions on the inside are better than what homeless law-abiding citizens go through. Prison needs to be a place that criminals truly live in terror of, not a vacation resort for the evil and crazy.

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 11:09 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
This is one issue that I feel truly conflicted over. One one hand, I feel it should be strictly reserved for the most evil among us (serial killers, rapists, terrorists), and carried out quickly rather than letting them spend 20 more years in jail. Then again, I'm not God, so I have no idea when someone's heart has grown so cold they'll no longer repent for their crimes. I don't like the idea of forcing someone to face God's eternal justice too quickly.

Either way, one big problem is the current condition of the American prison system. Most hardcore criminals don't appear to fear losing their freedom, and I think one reason is that conditions on the inside are better than what homeless law-abiding citizens go through. Prison needs to be a place that criminals truly live in terror of, not a vacation resort for the evil and crazy.

I have a few recovering drug addict friends who have served time. According to them, it's pretty far from being a vacation resort. The staff is usually not all that concerned from protecting prisoners from themselves or each other, after all. In any case, it taught them enough to know that they would rather stay clean and sober than to risk getting wasted and doing something that would send them back.

modcom77
Raven
Raven

19 Jan 2014, 11:13 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:

At least this is one thing we can agree on.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 4:08 pm

:D http://glossynews.com/society/health/20 ... r-mauling/

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 4:26 pm

modcom77 wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:

At least this is one thing we can agree on.

Awwww, and here I thought the 80,000 annual sexual assaults in the US prison system were sufficient. Some people have so unreasonably high standards... :hmph:

How about hiring some of those prison guards who made an international name for themselves for their initiative and entrepreneurship at Abu Ghraib? I'm sure Charles Graner and Lynndie England have some excellent ideas for reforming the US corrective system...

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Jan 2014, 7:16 am

zer0netgain wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
2) The death penalty does not provide an effective deterrent, so doesn't prevent murders
3) It is more expensive than life imprisonment
6) If somebody really has committed murder, I'd rather they take the slow route to the grave.

@ 2 - It is an effective deterrent. You can't measure negative events. We have no way to log people who choose NOT to commit a crime that could lead to the death penalty. A person determined to kill will always kill...regardless of the threat of punishment.

Your point of view is not supported by the scientific literature.

Schuesser:
Quote:
To summarize: statistical findings and case studies converge to disprove the claim that the death penalty has any special deterrent value. The belief in the death penalty as a deterrent is repudiated by statistical studies, since they consistently demonstrate that differences in homicide rates are in no way correlated with differences in the use of the death penalty. Case studies consistently reveal that the murderer seldom considers the possible consequences of his action, and, if he does, he evidently is not deterred by the death penalty. The fact that men continue to argue in favor of the death penalty on deterrence grounds may only demonstrate man's ability to confuse tradition with proof, and his related ability to justify his established way of behaving.

Quote:
As evidence, we had a rash of cop killings in Florida. Finally, Florida passed a law saying if you kill a cop, it's life in prison without parole or death. The killings stopped. Clearly, the kinds of people doing this didn't fear imprisonment capped at X years if they got caught, but the idea of NEVER getting out or being put to death made them think twice. Also, keep in mind that most of these murders were "thrill kills" where the practically ambushed the cop just so they could brag about being a cop killer.

Have any studies been done which showed a statistically significant effect of the bill?

In any case, you'll notice I didn't say "life imprisonment is not a deterrent". It's just the death penalty isn't significantly better.

Raptor wrote:
That will never wash with me. By that logic why not just de-criminalize sex crimes?

Do you apply this level of thought to all your posts?

The reason we criminalise acts such as theft and rape is, in essence, to decrease their frequency. The most obvious way is by providing a deterrent (i.e. "if I steal that, I could go to prison. I don't want to go to prison, so I won't steal").

Viper is re-using a very old argument that was popularised by Thomas More. In Tudor England, pickpocketing was a capital offence. Pickpockets therefore had nothing to lose once they were caught- they may as well murder the witness, because they could hardly be executed twice (and they often did). There was no deterrent - in fact, there was an incentive to murder. Similarly, a rapist may as well murder their victim if rape is given the same punishment as murder, because there is no deterrent (although given the relative rates of conviction for rape and murder there might be a deterrent for truly rational agents).

The point, Raptor, is that there must continually be a deterrent. If you have no further way to punish someone, they may as well keep murdering if it gives them a chance of escaping punishment. The justice system should never incentivise murder.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 8:42 am

The_Walrus wrote:

Statistical data is largely meaningless as it can be twisted to say most anything.

Okay, we're dealing with causation, which CAN NOT be measured, but it's talking about correlation. What other factors did they measure. If the moral fabric of society is unraveling and society becomes more violent and depraved, the death penalty may be an effective deterrent, but not effective enough to counter the increase in violent tendencies (which aren't being studied).

Likewise, a nation that does not have the death penalty might get better results because of a more efficient criminal justice and imprisonment process which gives people a reason to not commit a crime.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 8:57 am

zer0netgain wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Statistical data is largely meaningless as it can be twisted to say most anything.

Someone should force the Nobel Prize committee to revoke the Nobel Prize to Peter Higgs and François Englert. After all, the Higgs-Boson was found using statistical analysis.

:roll:

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 10:53 am

GGPViper wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Someone should force the Nobel Prize committee to revoke the Nobel Prize to Peter Higgs and François Englert. After all, the Higgs-Boson was found using statistical analysis.

FOUND or theorized? Last I checked, we have yet to actually prove its existence.

Besides, it's that statistics are so easy to manipulate that make them largely unreliable when quoted in stories and studies. A very strict scrutiny of HOW the study is done and how the statistics are compiled is needed to determine credibility. A single misleading question in a survey can render the results tainted.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 10:58 am

zer0netgain wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

FOUND or theorized? Last I checked, we have yet to actually prove its existence.

Besides, it's that statistics are so easy to manipulate that make them largely unreliable when quoted in stories and studies. A very strict scrutiny of HOW the study is done and how the statistics are compiled is needed to determine credibility. A single misleading question in a survey can render the results tainted.

Didn't the LHC find it? Science is about evidence—not proof, and before we can find evidence of anything, we need to imagine it, and then explain how it can theoretically exist. Einstein's theory of relativity started out as a daydream, for instance.

Statistical data can be used to say anything if you take it out of context, but if you don't take it out of context, it's at least a decent tool.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 12:44 pm

My main issue with capital punishment, is that it's a weak sentence. Everybody is going to die. If you execute someone who would otherwise spend the rest of their life in prison, then you are simply letting them die early without first serving out their sentence. Death is not a punishment, because they are going to die anyway. Many who are executed in the US don't even exhaust all of their appeals, because they want to die. They know their life is over. In some cases they actually take legal action to force the government to carry out the execution. How is that punishment? You are giving them what they want.

That combined with all the other moral and legal issues, I don't think it is a good public policy. If you still insist to do it anyway, it should be appropriate only in very limited circumstances. Because carrying out mass executions, is just messed up.