New here- Could I have aspergers/autism?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

sectownkid
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jan 2014, 12:46 am

Hey everybody, new here and wanted to say what's up. Also wanted to give a brief story of myself and hear any feedback anyone might have..

So I am 25 now and have always been a quiet kid. However, in environments that I am comfortable with I am extremely outgoing, I am pretty big into snowboarding and longboarding and get along great when I am doing what I love. However, the after parties some of my acquaintances invite me to I am a social trainwreck. It's like I don't even try to socialize and everything so trivial and superficial I just don't care, I feel like people small talk each other to get laid and that's just not me.. So now I avoid parties and have difficulty meeting people, I would rather do my own thing. It makes me kind of sad and unwilling to connect with people because it's almost like I think there's no point in getting close to these people when they will eventually discover I am anti social, which is actually not the case because I am extremely social when I'm in my environment. I am also extremely introspective and research a variety of topics, which many of my extrovert friends don't seem to care about. That's cool and everything, I guess I just wish I was more adaptable so I could cross over to the other side and connect with the majority of people.

Anyway, that's the most recent life example and I could go way back to childhood and teens and pick those years apart.. Thanks in advance for any feedback

Also, my son is diagnosed autistic and made me wonder if it could be genetic

Hart
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jan 2014, 4:02 am

Welcome :D

It's popular belief that AS is genetic, though I don't believe it's been made official yet.

I understand all too well your predicament. My only advice is that you either learn to adapt to the parties you dislike, or find friends through other means. Considering your interests in more intellectual pursuits, perhaps it would be more beneficial finding others who share your interests, and befriending them. This may require joining a place of study, a club, or whatever, depending on your interests. If you can't find any, you could always initiate one.

Hope that helps.

"If you're not actively involved in getting what you want, you don't really want it."
- Peter MC Williams

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 6:32 am

Welcome ! !
Sounds like you're an introvert with intellectual interests, and that's awesome too.
Having some autistic traits in the personality seems to be common in families with autistic relatives. Maybe you have some of those traits, but you aren't in the spectruum, it's just a type of personality.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 12:08 pm

Welcome!

For me, just learning to love myself and all my social idiosyncrasies has been a big help. I might wish to be different, and there have been a few things I have been able to do here and there to help a bit. But like everyone else, Aspie or not, I've got a certain hand of cards that life has dealt me and I do best when I accept and embrace it.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 4:09 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 6:38 pm

sectownkid wrote:
Could I have aspergers/autism?

Since no-one on WrongPlanet has come forward as an appropriately-trained, experienced and licensed mental-health professional, there would be no-one on WrongPlanet who could say for certain, one way or the other.

I wouldn't trust those on-line "Aspie" quizzes, either.

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 2:07 pm

Welcome :salut: