Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 6:48 am

As for creation, intelligent design, that could be done better with a few stars and each having several planets in the liquid water zone.

If that was the goal, it is way overbuilt. What we have seen, is planets around other stars that could not support life.

Still, with so many tries, there should be many planets within 1% of Earth conditions. Nothing local.

At one time the Sun was the Universe, and the stars thought to be sparks.

Then we learned it was bigger than that.

Just the idea there is one universe, of finite size, that had a beginning, is falling apart.

What lies beyond, forever and ever?

We do ask better questions, but we are stuck with much older thought.

!4 billion years and the Big Bang does not account for Black Holes. They seem older, much older.

How it all came to be is an ultimate question, and we are apes.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 11:40 am

Inventor wrote:
As for creation, intelligent design, that could be done better with a few stars and each having several planets in the liquid water zone.

If that was the goal, it is way overbuilt. What we have seen, is planets around other stars that could not support life.

Still, with so many tries, there should be many planets within 1% of Earth conditions. Nothing local.

At one time the Sun was the Universe, and the stars thought to be sparks.

Then we learned it was bigger than that.

Just the idea there is one universe, of finite size, that had a beginning, is falling apart.

Maybe, but then…maybe not. If there ARE more universes, where is the evidence? That's not really a falsifiable idea.

Inventor wrote:
What lies beyond, forever and ever?

We won't know until we get there, will we? ;)

Inventor wrote:
We do ask better questions, but we are stuck with much older thought.

!4 billion years and the Big Bang does not account for Black Holes. They seem older, much older.

Not really, though… If you hold to the theory that black holes are singularities created when massive objects collapse under their own gravity, it isn't necessary that they really be that old. The general rule of thumb is the larger the star, the shorter the lifespan. I don't know the theoretical lifespan of some of the largest objects out there, as I'm barely an amateur astronomer and can't converse on the same level as a seasoned astrophysicist, but I'm sure it's theoretically possible for a supermassive object to run out of fusible fuel in much less than 13 billion years.

Inventor wrote:
How it all came to be is an ultimate question, and we are apes.

I dunno about THAT. But I find the relationship between the age of the earth and the age of the universe to be interesting. And with life appearing within a billion years, at that! I don't take issue with the POSSIBILITY of life crawling out of the primordial ooze, but I have serious doubts as to how life could have ORIGINATED on earth. The only way I can see it happening is if the ingredients originated in space and "seeded" the earth somehow. It's telling that there's no sign of this happening elsewhere and that we just happened to have the magic formula orbiting our particular star or a singular "rogue" source just happenstance drifting into our neighborhood. A First Cause certainly does throw the odds favorably for the birth of a life-supporting universe.

BTW, I don't pretend to have any sophistication in this area. There are better people than me at putting the argument together.

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 12:05 pm

fibonaccispiral777 wrote:
Kenjuudo wrote:
The universe has to be the way it is because this thread exists. :wink:

Haha, I believe that theory is called the forum-anthropic principle?
No I mean, the universe is perfect for us and appears to be carefully designed to accomodate life, and ultimately, us. But that is faulty reasoning; If the universe had been any different, we wouldn't be here asking the question, and you wouldn't be creating this thread. So the question if the universe had a designer or not doesn't make any sense, because there is only one way it had to be designed anyway. (In order to have us talk about it here that is...)

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 4:36 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

We live in a universe that has life only because of certain unlikely parameters that are JUST RIGHT for life to occur.

Exactly. The mistake some make (not yourself) is that they perceive it the wrong way around. That is the various parameters are set as they are to allow life to exist. Wrong, life exists purely out of chance because by chance the parameters are conducive to life. As MCalavera has already pointed out it is evolution on a cosmological scale.

@AngeRrho. I thought you were are creationist?

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 5:36 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:

The fine tuning argument presents the hypothesis that we live in the perfect conditions necessary for the birth life and that it seems too much of a coincidence that life can be born out of such perfect conditions,

And right here is the problem with the intelligent creator argument. These people make the assumption that universe is so finely tuned as to be perfect for life, this is a fallacy. For the most part the universe is not even remotely suitable for life nor for that matter is the earth. Admittedly there are pools of acid and sulphur which contain bacteria, but this is not the fine tuning these people talk about. Great swathes of our planet are not conducive to life and the same goes for the universe. Those rare creationists who understand this, make all kinds of apologies for gods apparent failings as a creator, but the fact remains the universe is not perfect for life, it is instead conducive to life in certain areas.

As to the argument against infinite regression I love how the creationists simply remove their creator from this problem. To my mind the concept of a creator is one for those who cannot conceive complicated problems and prefer a simple mailable solution. I find it amusing that they cannot see their solution is infinitely complicated.

There is a new and interesting theory called Rainbow Gravity which postulates that that gravity's effects on spacetime are felt differently by different wavelengths of light, The color of light is determined by its frequency, and because different frequencies correspond to different energies, light particles of different colors would travel on slightly different paths though spacetime, according to their energy. Using this idea theorists have shown that as you look back thorough time the universe gets denser but never to the point of infinite density i.e a singularity. If correct this means the universe has always existed.

I don't pretend to be the most informed person in the sciences, but I certainly am not the least informed either, so I thought I would just inject a thought that i had reading your post. It involves the section of your comment that I placed in bold text above. I was under the impression that most scientists accept the idea that, when it comes to what we know as opposed to the sum of all there is to know about the universe and the laws of nature, we as a species are just beginning to understand how things work--you might say, as self aware beings, we are still in our infancy or early childhood. I certainly agree that when it comes to forms of life like ourselves, the lifeforms we are familiar with here on this tiny rock in the middle of nowhere, most of what we have observed of the universe is not suitable for that life--but this is based on the assumption that we have defined what life is clearly and exclusively, and I was under the impression that was still an arguable matter. How can we know that the sort of life we are familiar with is the only sort of life that could possibly exist in the entire universe--especially when one considers the practically unimaginable extent of said universe? Is it not at least conceivable that there could be forms of life out there so alien to us that we cannot as yet even imagine what conditions might be necessary for their existence in comparison to ourselves?

Is it not arrogance to assume we know everything there is to know about something like the phenomenon of life (are living structures not some of the most complex structures the universe has so far produced that we are aware of?--I'm thinking of the human brain here as an example) and what is required for it to exist, that there could not possibly be more to learn that may in future expand our definitions of such terms/ideas?

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 11:17 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

We live in a universe that has life only because of certain unlikely parameters that are JUST RIGHT for life to occur.

Exactly. The mistake some make (not yourself) is that they perceive it the wrong way around. That is the various parameters are set as they are to allow life to exist. Wrong, life exists purely out of chance because by chance the parameters are conducive to life. As MCalavera has already pointed out it is evolution on a cosmological scale.

@AngeRrho. I thought you were are creationist?

Why do you ask?

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2014, 1:13 am

I was surprised to read your responses on this thread, acceptance of primordial ooze as a possibility for the beginning of life and acceptance of the age of the universe.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2014, 1:23 am

@starvingartist, yes it is possible that there exists a multitude of non corporeal lifeforms thriving outside of the 4.9% of the universe that is normal matter, not sure how plausible life living in dark matter or dark energy would be, but its certainly possible. But this is not the point, creationists continually point out how perfect the universe is for life as we know it to exist. All I am saying is that this is a fallacy.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2014, 7:19 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
I was surprised to read your responses on this thread, acceptance of primordial ooze as a possibility for the beginning of life and acceptance of the age of the universe.

I accept that God can use whatever mechanism He chooses as a means of creation. If God chose to make the first cells out of soap bubbles, that's His business. Neither Christians nor non-Christian scientists really know what happened, and I accept conjecture as such.

The age of the universe is not a problem for a Creationist. It's Gap Theory, which I believe unless I'm mistaken goes back as far as Scofield.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2014, 7:25 am

Evolution and the words millions and billions of years do not compute in the minds of young Earth Creationists for they cannot count that far! They can only count to 6000.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2014, 11:57 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
Evolution and the words millions and billions of years do not compute in the minds of young Earth Creationists for they cannot count that far! They can only count to 6000.
In practice, I betcha you can't either. I know I certainly can't.

Let's do some simple arithmetics:

There are 60 seconds a minute.

There are 60 minutes an hour.
60 × 60 = 3,600 seconds an hour.

There are 24 hours a day.
3,600 × 24 = 86,400 seconds a day.

There are 365.25 days in a Julian year.
86,400 × 365.25 = 31,557,600 seconds a Julian year.

On the assumption that we can consistently count a number a second throughout, we have:

1,000,000 ÷ 86,400 ≈ 11.57 days.
It will take ca. 11.57 days to count to a million.

1,000,000,000 ÷ 31,557,600 ≈ 31.69 Julian years.
It will take ca. 31.69 Julian years to count to a billion.

The universe is supposedly 13.82 billion years old.

13,820,000,000 ÷ 31,557,600 ≈ 437.93 Julian years.
It will take ca. 437.93 Julian years to count to 13.82 billion.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2014, 12:12 pm

It would take a group of schoolkids about 15 minutes to sing "A Hundred Bottles of Beer On the Wall".

So...

To sing "A Million Bottles of Beer On the Wall" would take about 2500 hours, or about 104 days (without taking breaks for sleep, nor eating).

So...

To sing "A Billion Bottles of Beer on the Wall" would take about thirty some years.

Yes. It is rather humbling to contemplate.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2014, 4:04 pm

Kenjuudo wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
In practice, I betcha you can't either. I know I certainly can't.

Let's do some simple arithmetics:

There are 60 seconds a minute.

There are 60 minutes an hour.
60 × 60 = 3,600 seconds an hour.

There are 24 hours a day.
3,600 × 24 = 86,400 seconds a day.

There are 365.25 days in a Julian year.
86,400 × 365.25 = 31,557,600 seconds a Julian year.

On the assumption that we can consistently count a number a second throughout, we have:

1,000,000 ÷ 86,400 ≈ 11.57 days.
It will take ca. 11.57 days to count to a million.

1,000,000,000 ÷ 31,557,600 ≈ 31.69 Julian years.
It will take ca. 31.69 Julian years to count to a billion.

The universe is supposedly 13.82 billion years old.

13,820,000,000 ÷ 31,557,600 ≈ 437.93 Julian years.
It will take ca. 437.93 Julian years to count to 13.82 billion.
If you use a calculator and use the multiplication method it will take less time! :D

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2014, 7:11 pm

Philosophically this is an angle of multiverse theory. Theosophically this would be Stanzas of Dzyan.

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Feb 2014, 5:14 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Philosophically this is an angle of multiverse theory. Theosophically this would be Stanzas of Dzyan.

Although I am not necessarily saying that there are an infinite or a multitude of universes currently in existence but more contemplating upon the idea that there may have been more than one big bang and in fact there may have been billions of big bang(which is very odd to think) about and if the Big Crunch happens(which some physicist think it will while others dispute it), then the possibility of another one will happen again. Thus we are the inevitable by-product of billions of big bangs and yet think we are somehow special. Of course, our minds find this difficult to comprehend since our minds are based on cause and effect even though our universe may be infinite in its age. The big bangs could have been caused I suppose by what scientists would cause 'fluctuations'. Much like particles pop out of existence in the ether, so to could have the particle that contained the universe could have appeared from a quantum vacuum.

This may explain why some eastern mystics did not refer to the universe as having a beginning or a start but just referred to it as solely 'existing'. Mystics often say that it is fallacious to see the universe consisting of a beginning and end, however this seems to be the basis of western rationalism, and instead they see the universe as one continuous cycle of birth, death and rebirth- this is represented in the eternal dance of Shiva. Shiva represents the duality of creation and destruction and perhaps this actually represents big bangs occurring infinitely to be destroyed again to create other ones. Perhaps when mystics speak about experiencing the 'infinity' of god, they are actually experiencing the 'infinity' of the universe.'

I think a scientist has actually calculated as an argument against the fine-tuning argument and has found that there may be millions of other stars that could host life. Of course, it would probably not be like ourselves, though we like to think it might be, it might just be bacteria, however it proves that life is not incredible coincidence we think it is. We are not 'special' in anyway since there are millions of other places in the universe where life could be created. Plus, through technological breakthroughs, we are beginning to genetically engineer life. We are becoming the fine tuners. Seeing that we are not special as a species I suppose is quite liberating though since worries and anxieties seem like they are part of a larger cosmic game.

Sorry to ramble on like an idiot.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 4:52 pm

I am not particularly knowledgeable in regards to science so please excuse me if I make any logical fallacies but here we go anyway-

The fine tuning argument presents the hypothesis that we live in the perfect conditions necessary for the birth life and that it seems too much of a coincidence that life can be born out of such perfect conditions, thus giving the impression that there is some sort intelligent consciousness behind it. Science disputes this claim however and claims that it was a coincidence. However, perhaps it is neither. Perhaps life was a mathematical inevitability. I have been thinking recently that perhaps the big bang was not the only big bang to occur but perhaps there have been an infinite amount of big bangs or at least millions or even billions of them. Perhaps the universe did not begin at birth of the big bang but the big bang was a beginning in a series of many cosmic beginnings. Perhaps the universe does not occur in a linear fashion but moves in a cyclical fashion and what we are experiencing now is the result of many other previous big bangs. If this true, then maybe we are the inevitable outcome of many or an infinite big bangs. When you flip a coin, the more you do it, the greater your chances are of something improbable occurring. Thus, if I flip a coin ten times, the likelihood of me getting ten heads in a row is not high. However if I flip a coin a thousand times, this likelihood increases. Thus maybe it is the same with life. Perhaps we are the mathematical inevitability not of one big bang but of many big bangs, many of them failing but with one of them successfully producing life. Sorry, if this post sounds completely stupid :?

What if there is just no beginning? Only transformations?