Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 4:52 pm

fibonaccispiral777 wrote:
I am not particularly knowledgeable in regards to science so please excuse me if I make any logical fallacies but here we go anyway-

The fine tuning argument presents the hypothesis that we live in the perfect conditions necessary for the birth life and that it seems too much of a coincidence that life can be born out of such perfect conditions, thus giving the impression that there is some sort intelligent consciousness behind it. Science disputes this claim however and claims that it was a coincidence. However, perhaps it is neither. Perhaps life was a mathematical inevitability. I have been thinking recently that perhaps the big bang was not the only big bang to occur but perhaps there have been an infinite amount of big bangs or at least millions or even billions of them. Perhaps the universe did not begin at birth of the big bang but the big bang was a beginning in a series of many cosmic beginnings. Perhaps the universe does not occur in a linear fashion but moves in a cyclical fashion and what we are experiencing now is the result of many other previous big bangs. If this true, then maybe we are the inevitable outcome of many or an infinite big bangs. When you flip a coin, the more you do it, the greater your chances are of something improbable occurring. Thus, if I flip a coin ten times, the likelihood of me getting ten heads in a row is not high. However if I flip a coin a thousand times, this likelihood increases. Thus maybe it is the same with life. Perhaps we are the mathematical inevitability not of one big bang but of many big bangs, many of them failing but with one of them successfully producing life. Sorry, if this post sounds completely stupid :?

What if there is just no beginning? Only transformations?

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Feb 2014, 5:07 am

Yes exactly. Sorry, I tend to say things in the most complicated way possible.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 8:25 pm

Fine tuning is a decent argument. It's counter is the anthropic principle. Also a perfectly reasonable argument. The weak anthropic principle being that if things weren't just so we wouldn't be here to observe it, so naturally they are just so and it shouldn't be a surprise. Who knows how many restarts or alternate universes it took for us to arrive.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 9:59 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
fibonaccispiral777 wrote:
I am not particularly knowledgeable in regards to science so please excuse me if I make any logical fallacies but here we go anyway-

The fine tuning argument presents the hypothesis that we live in the perfect conditions necessary for the birth life and that it seems too much of a coincidence that life can be born out of such perfect conditions, thus giving the impression that there is some sort intelligent consciousness behind it. Science disputes this claim however and claims that it was a coincidence. However, perhaps it is neither. Perhaps life was a mathematical inevitability. I have been thinking recently that perhaps the big bang was not the only big bang to occur but perhaps there have been an infinite amount of big bangs or at least millions or even billions of them. Perhaps the universe did not begin at birth of the big bang but the big bang was a beginning in a series of many cosmic beginnings. Perhaps the universe does not occur in a linear fashion but moves in a cyclical fashion and what we are experiencing now is the result of many other previous big bangs. If this true, then maybe we are the inevitable outcome of many or an infinite big bangs. When you flip a coin, the more you do it, the greater your chances are of something improbable occurring. Thus, if I flip a coin ten times, the likelihood of me getting ten heads in a row is not high. However if I flip a coin a thousand times, this likelihood increases. Thus maybe it is the same with life. Perhaps we are the mathematical inevitability not of one big bang but of many big bangs, many of them failing but with one of them successfully producing life. Sorry, if this post sounds completely stupid :?

What if there is just no beginning? Only transformations?

IF there is no beginning, then something like the cosmological argument completely falls apart. The evidence, however, does point to a beginning, and there's no evidence of a "before." For all we know, the universe, if we assume life is entirely up to chance, got it right on the first "try" (no, I'm not suggesting that the universe is a conscious thing). It is logically possible that this could have happened sans a Creator. However, if the universe DID get it right the first time, it got it right under extremely unlikely circumstances. I can be known that everything that begins to exist has a cause…we observe this every day. We may not necessarily know what CAUSED the big bang, but we can theorize that it had a cause at all. That much is obvious because the evidence does point to the universe beginning to exist at some point (big bang). Some unseen, uncaused cause is a neat, parsimonious solution. Bear in mind, of course, theories such as evolution and origins hypotheses such as big bang do NOT deal with what causes things to come into being. It would be more sensible to examine what various causes might be, but an intelligent, conscious cause is a reasonable suggestion.

I digress…the point is it makes less sense to consider whether there was no beginning…there almost certainly WAS a beginning.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 12:55 am

On the other hand it's difficult to rate the likeliness of events when you are dealing with something that is by definition the most extreme event that we've ever come across. That the universe (or anything) exists at all is off the charts strange from our perspective. The bookie is already bankrupt at this point so additional wagers seem a little pointless.

As for a creator or creators, well, it just adds steps to the chain. It doesn't actually solve anything metaphysically. The questions remain.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 2:27 am

simon_says wrote:

As for a creator or creators, well, it just adds steps to the chain. It doesn't actually solve anything metaphysically. The questions remain.

Exactly. religionists think it is ok to invent a Get out of Gaol Free Card. Allowing God to always have existed, for some reason they cannot see why if it is ok for god to have no before then why not the universe.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2014, 6:03 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
simon_says wrote:

Exactly. religionists think it is ok to invent a Get out of Gaol Free Card. Allowing God to always have existed, for some reason they cannot see why if it is ok for god to have no before then why not the universe.

Exactly, I suppose it is because people think that anything that is infinite in nature is somehow metaphysical in nature when that may not be the case. Perhaps when you try and go smaller and smaller past sub-atomic particles, you go down an infinite rabbit hole of tinier and tinier things.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 6:53 am

i can not be bothered reading what others have said in this thread because reading even the entire stock of literature ever produced on the subject would lead one nowhere.

the universe can only be seen subjectively by brains, because brains have faculties at the focal point of their senses. it is impossible for a mind to think outside the world of subjective thought. even the notion of "objectivity" is ultimately subjective.

there is an inherent need for brains to be able to "tie off both ends" of any consideration with a quantitative conclusion, and a quantitative conclusion with respect to the universal process is impossible.

so where did it begin, and where will it end? that is the question that brains need to answer, but there was no beginning and there will be no end, so no "answer" will ever be conclusive.

just imagine that there was an answer that answers every question about the process of the entire unfolding universal reality in every aspect of it? would anyone (any life form) understand it? obviously not. the knowledge of infinity is not containable. it is not even possible because knowledge is limited to capacity for understanding, and any "capacity" has dimensions within finite limits.

on a more basal level of consideration, one may anecdotally wonder that if the ultimate answer to every question possible about the universe was funneled into the understanding of every philosopher or scientist (as well as everyone else in the world), would curiosity cease to exist?

what questions would remain to be mused over? how can thought even take place if all scrutinies are already resolved?

i gave up trying to pit my brain against the universe a long time ago. it is infinitely bigger than my mental capacity.
some revisits of my thoughts when i actually cared were:

there is one universe, and all the multiverses that people try to define (suspected with reference to the idea of (mem)brane intersections) are actually subsets of the universe.

all aspects and dimensions of existence, and every element of all manifestations of reality are the fabric of this universe. "uni" means one. "verse" means "span of description" (my definition from personally modified observation).

there is one whole container which everything can be contained within, and that is the universe.

people need to conceive of a beginning and end because people think sequentially.
people may ask themselves "when did the universe begin", and if they answer themselves by concluding that it began at the "beginning of time", then the question remains "when did time begin?", and they may parrot that "time did not exist before the big bang".

they seem to lock onto counter intuitive assertions by high flying philosophical cowboys that try to assert that there are linearly truncated limitations on the cycle of eternal reality.

if there was a time that time did not exist, well that does not compute.
if there was nothing before the big bang, then was there a potential for the big bang to happen?
how do they neatly ignore the imposing monsters of logic that immediately gobble their thought trains and spit them out as unpalatable.
________

who knows? not you not me and not anyone in adromeda either.

actually, i would say (correctly) that nothing that is a product of the universe can ever encompass it.

___
i had the idea that the universe was respiring like a being does. i imagined it's exhalation to be a collapse into another big bang and it's inhalation to be the expansion and actualization of all it's potential that was re harnessed from the energy of the previous big bang.
i had the idea that the apparent acceleration of expansion was due to an accretion bubble which was a "film" where gravitational expansion matched gravitational retraction, and the "stuff" of the universe eventually orbited at the universal accretion distance (which i never calculated) and due to the ever increasing surface disruption (because of extra mass being introduced to it in the end stage), it pops like a bubble and the whole spherical realm of existence immediately concentrates itself into a small droplet that constitutes the next big bang.

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2014, 9:00 am

b9 wrote:
i can not be bothered reading what others have said in this thread because reading even the entire stock of literature ever produced on the subject would lead one nowhere.

the universe can only be seen subjectively by brains, because brains have faculties at the focal point of their senses. it is impossible for a mind to think outside the world of subjective thought. even the notion of "objectivity" is ultimately subjective.

there is an inherent need for brains to be able to "tie off both ends" of any consideration with a quantitative conclusion, and a quantitative conclusion with respect to the universal process is impossible.

so where did it begin, and where will it end? that is the question that brains need to answer, but there was no beginning and there will be no end, so no "answer" will ever be conclusive.

just imagine that there was an answer that answers every question about the process of the entire unfolding universal reality in every aspect of it? would anyone (any life form) understand it? obviously not. the knowledge of infinity is not containable. it is not even possible because knowledge is limited to capacity for understanding, and any "capacity" has dimensions within finite limits.

on a more basal level of consideration, one may anecdotally wonder that if the ultimate answer to every question possible about the universe was funneled into the understanding of every philosopher or scientist (as well as everyone else in the world), would curiosity cease to exist?

what questions would remain to be mused over? how can thought even take place if all scrutinies are already resolved?

i gave up trying to pit my brain against the universe a long time ago. it is infinitely bigger than my mental capacity.
some revisits of my thoughts when i actually cared were:

there is one universe, and all the multiverses that people try to define (suspected with reference to the idea of (mem)brane intersections) are actually subsets of the universe.

all aspects and dimensions of existence, and every element of all manifestations of reality are the fabric of this universe. "uni" means one. "verse" means "span of description" (my definition from personally modified observation).

there is one whole container which everything can be contained within, and that is the universe.

people need to conceive of a beginning and end because people think sequentially.
people may ask themselves "when did the universe begin", and if they answer themselves by concluding that it began at the "beginning of time", then the question remains "when did time begin?", and they may parrot that "time did not exist before the big bang".

they seem to lock onto counter intuitive assertions by high flying philosophical cowboys that try to assert that there are linearly truncated limitations on the cycle of eternal reality.

if there was a time that time did not exist, well that does not compute.
if there was nothing before the big bang, then was there a potential for the big bang to happen?
how do they neatly ignore the imposing monsters of logic that immediately gobble their thought trains and spit them out as unpalatable.
________

who knows? not you not me and not anyone in adromeda either.

actually, i would say (correctly) that nothing that is a product of the universe can ever encompass it.

___
i had the idea that the universe was respiring like a being does. i imagined it's exhalation to be a collapse into another big bang and it's inhalation to be the expansion and actualization of all it's potential that was re harnessed from the energy of the previous big bang.
i had the idea that the apparent acceleration of expansion was due to an accretion bubble which was a "film" where gravitational expansion matched gravitational retraction, and the "stuff" of the universe eventually orbited at the universal accretion distance (which i never calculated) and due to the ever increasing surface disruption (because of extra mass being introduced to it in the end stage), it pops like a bubble and the whole spherical realm of existence immediately concentrates itself into a small droplet that constitutes the next big bang.

I think there must be some sort of objective reality since the human brain cannot be entirely subjective since it gives rise to subjectivity. Although saying this, the objective realm that transcends human thought must look radically different from what we perceive it to be. It will have no color, smell or any other time of sensory data. It is purely energetic and exists only as information I would say waiting to be interpreted by a brain. Most of what we see anyway is the brain guessing what it wants to see and painting a logical picture based on such guesses.

To say that there is no objectivity since everything is subjective becomes an objective statement in itself.

Exactly, as you say, if the universe just popped into existence then it came from nothing however if there were nothing then it would fail to give rise to the universe we are able to perceive. Thus, we can then say that the matter in our universe comes from a singularity, however then we have to ask ourselves where that singularity? It is an infinite regression with no beginning and no end however the human brain creates a connection of causality between all phenomenon as opposed to seeing everything as being cyclical and thus it seems counter-intuitive to think the universe is infinite.

We used to think that time was linear in a Newtonian sense and that certain objects could be causally linked to other objects through time, however now we know that this is not the case and time is altered depending on where we are in the universe, our mass and our relation to other objects. Quantum particles do behave as if time is linear in its nature and do not abide by the laws of causality and many particles can appear in one area and then appear in another without having appeared to have traveled through space-time.