Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 6:09 am

I have diagnosed Asperger's.

However I can communicate with people. My dad said I do monologues a lot that last forever and I don't realise when the person is bored or has to go. I have incongruent emotions but I normally talk in a monotone. I don't do eye contact at all. I cannot bear physical contact at all and react violently when touched. I don't understand humour and I have nearly no ability to read facial expressions / tone of voice.

I had a meltdown in the street today and nearly ended up with the police again. My daily meltdowns are like that.

However I go to people I know and talk to them, even if people say I am odd / weird.

I get tics and sometimes I'll lash out at someone for seemingly no reason whatsoever.

I've been told I am a freak for as long as I can remember.

Severe sensory issues too. I live in sunglasses and earplugs.

I get very obsessional about my special interests. Yesterday I had a panic attack when people kept disturbing me.

I have few friends and most of them are on the spectrum.

Is this the "severe" Asperger's my psychiatrist said I have?

Sorry I'm doubting myself again. OCD.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 7:22 am

I went to school for years with Asperger kids.
None of them fit any specific criteria mold.
They were all very diverse in their lifestyle and behavior.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 7:27 am

True.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 8:06 am

I want to try to see myself as a person. And leave the labels to the psychiatrists, psychologists, and counselors to use as tools for understanding and helping. Some people really seem to benefit a lot from having a label that they find useful for understanding themselves and that's fine. But if the label isn't helping you, leave it alone and let the professionals worry about the labeling. They will anyway, it's not like you're likely to change anyone's mind with what you think. And the label really should be a tool for helping.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 10:33 am

Ok fair enough. It does make sense to not obsess so much.