white people: Do you secretly wish you were black?

Page 4 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Do you wish you were black?
I wish I was black 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
I wish I were a different race that doesn't fit into the category of white or black 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
I wish I were of mixed race 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
I don't care/don't wish I were black 86%  86%  [ 44 ]
Total votes : 51

RedStar98
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Feb 2014, 5:45 am

I'd just like to make it clear that I'm not a racist or white supremacist, white nationalist or anything like that, but I like being white and have no 'guilt' for it at all. I don't believe that's a racist comment- everyone should be able to like their culture/background, right? I am kind of annoyed with the automatic assumption that some people have the racism only occurs from white people against others, which is simply incorrect, as I would know from personal experience (as a young child I had to put up with a lot of racially motivated comments from non-white kids, which was completely ignored by the school). We don't control what our ancestors did in the past, why feel shame for it? I like how I am.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 6:19 am

RedStar98 wrote:
I'd just like to make it clear that I'm not a racist or white supremacist, white nationalist or anything like that, but I like being white and have no 'guilt' for it at all. I don't believe that's a racist comment- everyone should be able to like their culture/background, right? I am kind of annoyed with the automatic assumption that some people have the racism only occurs from white people against others, which is simply incorrect, as I would know from personal experience (as a young child I had to put up with a lot of racially motivated comments from non-white kids, which was completely ignored by the school). We don't control what our ancestors did in the past, why feel shame for it? I like how I am.

therin is the problem, people can have problems and be angry at others of different skin or type thann them

BUT - racism is something that implies you have power to oppress the other person, just as sexism is something that is applied against womyn, racism is ONLY against POC as they have the disadvantage in society. SOME people may have been nasty to you because they were of one color and you were white but you have not been oppressed or denied a job - you don't have to worry about "driving while white" or being denied a job for being white, or worry about the way you speak having people look down on your education level or who you are just because you ARE white, this is the difference between being a POC and being white and why anyone not liking you is NOT racism.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 6:44 am

From an scientifical perspective I´d say yes, so according to medicians, black people shall have a very small favor, when it comes to muscle building and "toughness" of the skin. (So a bit less chance of cellulite...)

Out of practical matters, I would not choose so on purpose, there are sadly still so much prejudices, that black people must face.

@Idahorose

Quote:
Yes, there are times when I wish I could be of a different race. I feel ashamed to be white because of all the horrible things my ancestors probably did. Doesn't help that I am of German descent (on both sides of my family), so it's very likely that I could have had some ancestors who were Nazis.

You dont need to feel guilty for your ancestors crimes, you only need to feel guilty if you refuse to learn from their history. :) Make yourself aware, what leaded your ancestors to think as they thought, so that it cannot happend to you as well to get dragged into such a thinking. :)

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 7:01 am

Interesting fact, dark pigmentation doesn't handle thermal radiation from nuclear detonations as well as the pale types.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 7:06 am

Dillogic wrote:
Interesting fact, dark pigmentation doesn't handle thermal radiation from nuclear detonations as well as the pale types.

I would actually rather not live after a nuclear holocaust anyway - so having this advantage is not that great for me

MrOddBall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2014, 7:28 am

White people: Do you secretly wish you we're black?

My answer:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqqm9CMKrA4[/youtube]

MadeUnderground
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 8:32 am

StuffedMarshmallow wrote:
If I had to choose a different race I would choose black. Black people are super good looking in my opinion. If I ever turn out to be a polygamist when I grow up one of my partners is going to be a black chick I hope. Often times I try to befriend people I admire, and I am always trying to befriend black guys at my church because they just look crazy good and they kind of make me nervous because their looks are just so shocking and way better than mine. And I want to have black friends because it would make me look like I'm as cool as them :?

Well, I'm black and I can tell you with certainty that I am not cool.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 8:48 am

It might be good to be able to change your skin color at will, like a chameleon though. I feel purple tonite, etc.

Future geneticists, get to work on that.

RedStar98
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Feb 2014, 9:59 am

GivePeaceAChance wrote:
RedStar98 wrote:

therin is the problem, people can have problems and be angry at others of different skin or type thann them

BUT - racism is something that implies you have power to oppress the other person, just as sexism is something that is applied against womyn, racism is ONLY against POC as they have the disadvantage in society. SOME people may have been nasty to you because they were of one color and you were white but you have not been oppressed or denied a job - you don't have to worry about "driving while white" or being denied a job for being white, or worry about the way you speak having people look down on your education level or who you are just because you ARE white, this is the difference between being a POC and being white and why anyone not liking you is NOT racism.

Right, I know we've had disputes in the past, but I feel I have to reply here. So you're saying it's impossible for white people to suffer racism or racially motivated abuse? That is an absolute and total lie. Look, I'm not attacking you or trying to offend you, but it has to be said. Non-white people have a 'disadvantage in society'? Not where I'm from; they seem to have exactly the same quality of life as people from other backgrounds, as they should.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 10:03 am

GivePeaceAChance wrote:

I'm just going to lift your post here, because I fear that someone may get the wrong idea from it and start flaming you... I live in the Netherlands (predominantly Caucasian) and I'm of an 'exotic' background (Caribbean + Pacific Islander). While I've enjoyed a relatively racism-free environment growing up, I have at times found myself in situations such as you describe, where I got singled out by law enforcers or rejected by certain people when the only thing that distinguished me from everybody else who was doing the same thing, was my skin colour. And those situations were pretty annoying.

However, I would term black-on-white discrimination, or East Asian-on-white, or Midde Eastern-on-White, etc. etc., in societies that either are or are not predominantly Caucasian as racism. I personally don't feel that any unjust treatment or insult or abuse that you've been subjected to, should be a reason for you to hold a grudge against the entire ethnic group that the person(s) who did that, belongs to.

Other than that, I quite agree with the sentiments you're expressing here, GivePeaceAChance, and it's quite fresh wind in this thread.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 1:06 pm

GivePeaceAChance wrote:
you have got to be kidding! :?:

White privilege is the ONLY privilege I DO have, I am female, grew up poor and stayed disadvantaged most of my life and am way at the bottom now, I am also lesbian. I am in no way going to wish that upon myself in a society that I am certain would just subject me to far more hate and marginalization.

So you're trans?

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 1:08 pm

seaturtleisland wrote:
GivePeaceAChance wrote:
you have got to be kidding! :?:

White privilege is the ONLY privilege I DO have, I am female, grew up poor and stayed disadvantaged most of my life and am way at the bottom now, I am also lesbian. I am in no way going to wish that upon myself in a society that I am certain would just subject me to far more hate and marginalization.

So you're trans?

wow, sorry if I offended anyone, had not thought of that one, I also have straight passing privilege on occasion (see just how messed up some people can be when we assume everyone is like us)

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 2:18 pm

No, I enjoy living in cold, dreary, low sunlit environments.

Warm sunny places leave me miserable, irritable and depressed.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 3:59 pm

Lace-Bane wrote:
No, I enjoy living in cold, dreary, low sunlit environments.

Warm sunny places leave me miserable, irritable and depressed.

wrong thread :wink:

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 4:49 pm

aussiebloke wrote:

How so? Light skin requires less sunlight to absorb vitamin D. Vitamin D is essential in good bone health. Dark skin doesn't do as well in northern climates with low sunlight and can eventually lead to rickets in children or osteomalacia in adults when under a severe vitamin D deficiency.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 4:53 pm

Lace-Bane wrote:
aussiebloke wrote:

How so? Light skin requires less sunlight to absorb vitamin D. Vitamin D is essential in good bone health. Dark skin doesn't do as well in northern climates with low sunlight and can eventually lead to rickets in children or osteomalacia in adults.

ok missed it , depressive / anxious people are very low in vit d which I was 8O , yes dark skinned people are more prone to this.

sorry I missed your point :oops:

how many people are aware of the vit d - depression link 8O