Do you intellectually intimidate people?

Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 4:08 pm

When I had my diagnostic assessment for ASD, two out of the panel of three openly admitted I was talking over their heads when trying to articulate my suspected alexithymia. I think this is true when it comes to an area of special interest but we tend to have very uneven ability distributions so the shoe is often on the other foot.

Alexithymia: 137

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 5:10 pm

Well, obviously not. And I am not intimidated by extremely intelligent people [they're nice to have around in case you ever need to "phone a friend."] What annoys me, though, is when extraordinarily intelligent people play the "I'm too smart to be smart enough to think of a simpler word or way of expressing myself" card. I am aware that many, perhaps most of them, are truly incapable of speaking in simpler terms [or even worse, incapable of condensing what they have to say so that people are not thinking " Do they HAVE to make a short story long?"] but, when I do speak with someone who has the gift of being able to speak at any level of comprehension, and uses it,[ particularly since my meds have turned my brain to jello] I am so impressed [and grateful]

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 6:14 pm

am intelectualy disabled and am treated with the same respect as a child with no opinion to make, dont get to make choices very often as am under the mental capacity act.
however,have intimidated people over the fact am open minded,warm and laid back and dont take sht off anyone.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Voider
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Feb 2014, 6:35 pm

I usually don't act like this on purpose, since I knew from an early age that doing this was aggressive to people. I may come across as this from time to time, but this is only because I'm very analytical. I'm truly neutral when it comes to actual discussion of various topics, but even this has only segregated me from people, despite how I really do feel about such topics.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 6:37 pm

Oren wrote:
No. My mind is a warehouse of trivia, but people find it interesting, not intimidating.

Smae here. Then again I'm not that smart. :(

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 7:27 pm

If I intimidate people, I don't think it's because of my intelligence or intellect alone. It may have been the case more so when I was a child, but not now. I don't have an impressive store of knowledge about anything, and I'm not remotely what you might call an intellectual.

I believe what annoys or intimidates people about me, is my almost ruthless ability to think through something and figure things out on a deeper level than other people do. I've been told that I am very perceptive, in a way that makes people very uncomfortable.

kazma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2014, 7:55 pm

I agree with dianthus

Quote:
I believe what annoys or intimidates people about me, is my almost ruthless ability to think through something and figure things out on a deeper level than other people do. I've been told that I am very perceptive, in a way that makes people very uncomfortable.

people seem to think im very insightful but at times some people think im a know it all

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 9:05 pm

dianthus wrote:
If I intimidate people, I don't think it's because of my intelligence or intellect alone. It may have been the case more so when I was a child, but not now. I don't have an impressive store of knowledge about anything, and I'm not remotely what you might call an intellectual.

Thinking deeply about thing is part of intelligence.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 10:18 pm

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 10:32 pm

Tollorin wrote:
Thinking deeply about thing is part of intelligence.

I did not say or imply that thinking deeply is not part of intelligence. I said that I don't think my intelligence, in and of itself, is the only thing people find intimidating about me.

headhunter228
Raven
Raven

09 Feb 2014, 11:40 pm

I've been accused of being arrogant before. I know that I have an above-average intelligence, and I like to correct people and provide interesting tidbits about little things.

Of course, it wasn't my intention to come across like that. It was rather jarring the first time someone called me out on it.

-Count Threpe, The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 12:45 am

Occasionally, though a good 75% of it is that I have a very good memory and read constantly, so I can often rattle off obscure information on a variety of topics in a way that can alarm some people.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 10:52 am

Most people like to feel that they are the best. They resent others who are richer, smarter, taller, or more attractive. This is why politicians pretend to be interested in what people think, it gives people the pleasant illusion that someone values their opinion.

If someone resents you for being smarter than they are, then find someone else who wants to learn from you or someone who is smarter than you from whom you can learn.

Our current social environment where most people want to be lulled into a comfortable delusion of superiority cannot be sustained forever. At some point reality will intrude. Until then it would be a more productive use of time to limit social entanglements to those who are more interested in reality than requiring you to support their cocoon of fantasy.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 10:58 am

Hmmm, I can't say I've intimidated anyone like that, but I will say many people point out I'm a hell of a lot smarter than a lot of other people and tend to know random facts about things. Like for example, being able to name all 50+ African nations without looking a map, or citing 50+ elements of the periodic table.

Shadewraith
Toucan
Toucan

10 Feb 2014, 11:41 am

I wouldn't say people are intimidated by it. In fact, I would say I have a lot of intelligence, but rather I have a huge hard drive filled with information about things. To me, intelligence is knowing what to do with that information. I'm intelligent when it comes to music. I understand the information and I can apply it. I also know quite a bit about the medicine, but I can't do much with the information. It's actually quite useless to me.

There's a saying that goes something like: "Knowledge is knowing a bunch of information. Intelligence is knowing what to do with that information. Wisdom is knowing why you're using the information."

So I'm very knowledgeable and I come across as a know-it-all, but I'm only intelligent in a few areas. I have no wisdom. I can tell you where the puzzle pieces go, but not the meaning behind the puzzle.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 2:05 pm

timf wrote:
Most people like to feel that they are the best. They resent others who are richer, smarter, taller, or more attractive. This is why politicians pretend to be interested in what people think, it gives people the pleasant illusion that someone values their opinion.

Interesting idea. I've been thinking lately that people with low self esteem like to pull others down when they feel intimidated. I can see a pattern, but didn't understand why they did it. I hadn't thought of it in the context of them trying to gain superiority. That makes sense. Like one will point out when I use a word she doesn't understand and ridicule me.

I have the problem of coming from a relatively posh family and the way I talk seems to intimidate people. I'm like the female version of Niles Crane. I hate it when people point out my accent is different to theirs. I've had that my whole life. It makes people think that I think I'm better than them and that I'm more intelligent than them, but I don't feel like that. I can't help the way I talk. It shouldn't matter. It hurts when people point it out and try and pull me down because of it.