Do you intellectually intimidate people?

Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 2:05 pm

timf wrote:
Most people like to feel that they are the best. They resent others who are richer, smarter, taller, or more attractive. This is why politicians pretend to be interested in what people think, it gives people the pleasant illusion that someone values their opinion.

Interesting idea. I've been thinking lately that people with low self esteem like to pull others down when they feel intimidated. I can see a pattern, but didn't understand why they did it. I hadn't thought of it in the context of them trying to gain superiority. That makes sense. Like one will point out when I use a word she doesn't understand and ridicule me.

I have the problem of coming from a relatively posh family and the way I talk seems to intimidate people. I'm like the female version of Niles Crane. I hate it when people point out my accent is different to theirs. I've had that my whole life. It makes people think that I think I'm better than them and that I'm more intelligent than them, but I don't feel like that. I can't help the way I talk. It shouldn't matter. It hurts when people point it out and try and pull me down because of it.

Quinntilda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Feb 2014, 5:16 pm

No. If anything they intimidate me with their intellect about something I like. I learned no matter what there will always be someone who knows more.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 7:52 pm

I kinda freaked my sister out when she asked if San Francisco was in the Bay Area, and then I went on to mention Oakland, Berkeley, Stanford and some other places.

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2014, 11:23 am

I find that I do tend to overwhelm people with intellectual talk; however, some people get angry if they don't understand it as they (wrongly) think I am talking down to them; I'm not, I just enjoy the things I talk about.

More polite people get bored embarrassed if I go on too long. Nowadays, I usually remember to simplify my explanations and have gotten reasonably good at explaining things by analogy; however, as a child I got bullied because I was more interested in protons and quarks than football or cricket.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 11:38 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
am intelectualy disabled and am treated with the same respect as a child with no opinion to make, dont get to make choices very often as am under the mental capacity act.
however,have intimidated people over the fact am open minded,warm and laid back and dont take sht off anyone.

Yeah! That can be even more intimidating to many people :D

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 11:53 am

I am often called a "school teacher" (not in a good meaning) when I begin, probably because, I am analytical and feel compelled to lay things out in a fairly logical manner, - and I think as I speak, so I fail to observe, if I lose the listener :oops:
It seems to be very provocative and I often hear, that others feel intimidated.

Last edited by Jensen on 11 Feb 2014, 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 11:54 am

Not that I'm aware of.

I'm often accused of being "arrogant," but I suspect that has to do with my general lack of interest in other people, and my propensity to use a richer vocabulary than the average person.

However, I assure you, I have crap self-esteem.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)