I hate going up stairs 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
I'm indifferent about stairs 37%  37%  [ 14 ]
I absolutely love going up and down stairs 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 38

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 9:14 am

Interesting discussion, I thought it was just me. Going up stairs is ok, but going down takes some conscious effort to get the right movements coordinated. (My balance isn't very good either so that's probably a factor too.) And ladders are worse - I can go up, but figuring out how to get back down is really hard.

Nicola
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Feb 2007, 11:09 am

Yeah, I have "issues" with going downstairs and down anything for that matter, I always need to hold on to something otherwise I'm frightened I'll fall. I used to go on a lot of long hikes with my parents, if there was a steep hill I absolutely hated it and they had to force me on things by shouting at me, otherwise I would be stuck up there all day. I'd get there in the end but it would be a struggle involving shouting and tears (usually mine!) My partner however is understanding and will be like "Are you alright?" and hold my hand.

Another thing I find difficult is going down escalators, or when things are moving.

Cernunnos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 11:38 am

I generally don't mind stairs, but can't stand the ones that have open backs on the steps. I was always worried when I was a kid that I was going to fall through them. There are some at work that make me feel a little sick when I have to go into that building, but only going up them as I can't see the gaps coming down.

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Feb 2007, 12:58 am

I don't like going up or down stairs but I'm okay if I don't think about it. Where I work the elevators are so frickin slow, I've been taking on the stairs more often.

Standing there waiting for an elevator forever makes me want to pace or jump up and down and of course, in the work place that might be seen as odd. So yeah, stairs here I come, like it or not.

amerikasend
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2007, 1:24 am

The only issue I have with stairs are when I go up them. I sometimes fall or trip. So I sometimes fall up the stairs. Never fall down the stairs, unless they are stairs outside and it's icy out.

nicklegends
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2007, 2:06 am

I love running up and down stairs. And people look at me like I'm crazy. :D

amerikasend
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2007, 2:17 am

nicklegends wrote:
I love running up and down stairs. And people look at me like I'm crazy. :D

You just run up and down stairs for fun. I would wonder what you were doing. Next time to decided to run up and down stairs. You should just put on some speedos and go to a busy place and run up and down stairs.

chadders
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Feb 2007, 2:20 am

Depends on which gets me from a to b faster. For example, at one point in time there were these huge lines of people waiting for the elevator. I chose the stairs as a result, even though I was on floor 4 and needed to get to floor 12. Usually in that situation I would catch the elevator.

That's my two pence worth.

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 3:03 am

i love going up and down the stairs, i sometimes do it without reason,
like in a railwaystation when i have to wait and it's cold, i'll do the stairs several times.
or when studying, when i get nervous of sitting all the time.

mikh07
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 4:27 am

i never really thought about this before... hm.