Page 1 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 11:56 am

I don't know if this is funny or serious...

Showering Gay Athletes

It is a ridiculous point being made that gay athletes should not share the same shower as their team mates. What do these people want? Do you think gay athletes should stay in the closet? Or perhaps gay athletes should get their own personal locker rooms and showers?

What about bi sexuals? Should they have their own locker rooms too? Or because they are not completely gay or straight perhaps they can use the male of female locker rooms.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 12:06 pm

I guess this doesn't relate to showers directly, but I've always failed to understand how a straight man feels any differently about a gay man than they do about an unattractive woman. It's a human being, and one towards whom you have no sexual attraction. There are tons of people out there who fit that description. Who cares?

[It should go without saying, but I used men as an example because of my own gender, obviously the principle applies in reverse].

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 12:23 pm

Honestly, I also view it as unneeded discrimination.

However it comes from some straight men feeling uncomfortable
showering naked with a Gay man, but out of the fact they may be
attractive to said Gay male, or ogled even, not that they hate said man in any way.

Even though this is completely immature, and they have been dealing with them
before they came up with this rule, it isn't entirely impossible to understand.

This is the reason women don't want to have to shower with straight men naked in public showers. So it is actually got
some sense in it.

I wouldn't want to be ogled by a gay man either, I wouldn't hate him, but it is just uncomfortable.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 12:53 pm

appletheclown wrote:

attractive to said Gay male, or ogled even, not that they hate said man in any way.

This is the reason women don't want to have to shower with straight men naked in public showers. So it is actually got
some sense in it.

I wouldn't want to be ogled by a gay man either, I wouldn't hate him, but it is just uncomfortable.

The issue is with the uncomfortable then. If that were the case then such people should not have communal showers at all. If you are in a communal shower with twenty men there is no reason to assume they are all straight and that none of them may fancy you (unless you are particularly unattractive).

I think gay men can control themselves even if they did fancy a team mate.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 1:13 pm

Perhaps individual shower stalls should become the standard. The last health club I belonged to had them. It's no big deal. Requiring men to shower together communally may have started as a way to humiliate them into passivity, anyway.

Isn't it true that in some places (high school gymnasiums, swimming pools, etc.) it is customary to have communal showers for boys/men but individual shower stalls for women? Honestly I don't know from personal experience. But certainly men are entitled to as much privacy as women.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 1:34 pm

They should have a gay shower. They could call it a gower.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 1:40 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
appletheclown wrote:

some sense in it.

The issue is with the uncomfortable then. If that were the case then such people should not have communal showers at all. If you are in a communal shower with twenty men there is no reason to assume they are all straight and that none of them may fancy you (unless you are particularly unattractive). That is what I am saying.

I think gay men can control themselves even if they did fancy a team mate.

Then there is no reason for women to fear straight men going out of control if they had to shower naked together.
You are using the same logic I am to get to a different conclusion.

'"Women need our own showers as men won't be able to control themselves!" suffragette Betty Johnson claimed at the protest today.'

There is no difference in this than women's and men's bathrooms. None at all.
I've been ogled my gay men with my clothes on. I find it strange.
It is like telling a woman it is her fault she finds it uncomfortable a man is ogling her.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 1:55 pm

OMG. No woman I ever met wants to take a shower with a bunch of men.

The whole shower thing is crazy anyway. I hate the way they set up the showers in locker rooms. It's just weird. There should be shower rooms with locked doors that's the only way I'd do it even if it's women only.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 2:40 pm

The good thing about this is that it makes people address their insecurities. If you go into any gym locker room there will be gay men whether you like it or not. I do not like getting attention either, but it is more to do with not liking attention period.

The question is not whether gay men should shower with their team mates. The question is what should be done for people who are uncomfortable with this? Not all men will be uncomfortable with it. In fact I dare say some will be flattered if a gay man fancies them.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 2:48 pm

Why are people so fascinated by showering together anyway? If people are that into it, maybe they are gay just don't know it and in that case what does it matter if they are the same sex and gay? I never understood this fascination athletes have with showering together. The idea of showering with other people always mortified me. I did everything in my power to avoid it, didn't care if I stank the rest of the day. Gymnastics was my first hour, too.
I didn't want to ever be naked in front of anyone I went to school with.
If someone would like to explain it to me, feel free.
Besides, with all the homophobia, it's not too bright to be flamboyant in the locker room, anyway, since it's a place where fights can easily break out and there's no monitoring.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 3:16 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Why are people so fascinated by showering together anyway? If people are that into it, maybe they are gay just don't know it and in that case what does it matter if they are the same sex and gay? I never understood this fascination athletes have with showering together.

Modesty is very Victorian. Nudity is something you should be able to get over, but the thing most guys won't talk about is that most everyone "checks out the competition" in the showers. It's rooted in homo-eroticism, but straight guys have that wall that says it's not a gay thing. They check each other out, but they deny the sexual component in their interest. Showering with someone who IS or MIGHT be into other guys tears down that wall and makes the whole practice very uncomfortable.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 3:25 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Why are people so fascinated by showering together anyway? If people are that into it, maybe they are gay just don't know it and in that case what does it matter if they are the same sex and gay? I never understood this fascination athletes have with showering together.

Modesty is very Victorian. Nudity is something you should be able to get over, but the thing most guys won't talk about is that most everyone "checks out the competition" in the showers. It's rooted in homo-eroticism, but straight guys have that wall that says it's not a gay thing. They check each other out, but they deny the sexual component in their interest. Showering with someone who IS or MIGHT be into other guys tears down that wall and makes the whole practice very uncomfortable.

Well for one thing I'm female and with women, you can pretty much tell what they look like naked when they are clothed. like, if they have large breasts, average, A cups, whatever. There's no mystery.
I just don't feel comfortable bearing my flesh to people I don't really like that much anyway and most of those girls I wasn't friends with. A few were antagonistic. I was indifferent to most. There was one lesbian in my high school gym class along with a bi curious girl but I was shower phobic years before that class.
I don't see wanting to stay covered as Victorian it's just personal preference and there are men who have no desire to shower in front of strangers. It's just their voices, and mine, are lost among the louder voices of the more open because they feel it is important to broadcast at a high frequency why they are in the right and everyone else is neurotic or in the wrong, have complexes and are psychologically damaged because they feel nauseous at the idea of taking a shower with others.
With men it's more like the elephant in the room. A lot of them have no problem staring at other guys they just feel weird about it for some reason and they don't want to ever admit to themselves the real reason they are so interested.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 6:03 pm

We had showers at the school you could use after PE,no one ever did.They did not have individual stalls.I don't care who is in the shower,male,female,I want privacy.I guess if you were a nudist you wouldn't care.I don't even like going to the bathroom with another person in there,I can't pee.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 6:10 pm

The only thing I don't like about public restrooms is the possibility of farting but that doesn't bother me. I would rather piss in a public restroom than pee my pants.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 6:10 pm

I was in a first year residence at university (for one week) and it had co-ed showers and bathrooms. Very weird experience. I never felt at ease.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 7:03 pm

Half of the women I train with in aikido are gay, and not a single one of them has ever been anything other than perfectly polite in the changing room. I don't see why it should be any different with men.