Page 9 of 10 [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Bustduster
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2015, 11:56 am

Just my twopennyworth, but I don't think you meet any more BS merchants on dating sites than you do in real life - and at least on the internet you're not limited to people who live in close geographical proximity to you.

Also, the idea of meeting someone in the supermarket sounds utterly absurd to me, far more so than the idea of meeting someone online. I live in a large city where people aren't routinely friendly, and if someone you've never met before talks to you in a supermarket you instantly start to suspect they have an ulterior motive. Also, the idea of going to church is out since I'm an atheist.

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 12:43 pm

Bustduster wrote:
I live in a large city where people aren't routinely friendly, and if someone you've never met before talks to you in a supermarket you instantly start to suspect they have an ulterior motive.

Yeah, I agree with that part. People are a bit more cautious where I am from also, and will only talk to you on rare occasions (even if they know you briefly).

DustPendulum
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jan 2015, 4:36 pm

Dating sites are just sites where people can be grandiose versions of themselves. This grandiose version is usually shrouded in facade, yet at the same time their personality could be more so open then in reality. I guess I can't relate to the whole human chemistry thing, because it pleasures me more to see meaningful words on a screen than immerse myself in human chemistry. As long as I had seasonal meet ups with said person, I'd actually prefer to speak to someone online. I find that the conversations I have online are anything but tantamount to those in reality. Note that I'd probably bring a shotgun with me to said meet up in case this so called lover happens to be some creepy ass dude.

KayteeKay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2015, 10:11 pm

DustPendulum wrote:
Dating sites are just sites where people can be grandiose versions of themselves. This grandiose version is usually shrouded in facade, yet at the same time their personality could be more so open then in reality. I guess I can't relate to the whole human chemistry thing, because it pleasures me more to see meaningful words on a screen than immerse myself in human chemistry. As long as I had seasonal meet ups with said person, I'd actually prefer to speak to someone online. I find that the conversations I have online are anything but tantamount to those in reality. Note that I'd probably bring a shotgun with me to said meet up in case this so called lover happens to be some creepy ass dude.

So skip the dating sites. If you're not into them, well, nobody's forcing you to sign up.

DustPendulum
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2015, 11:08 am

KayteeKay wrote:
DustPendulum wrote:

So skip the dating sites. If you're not into them, well, nobody's forcing you to sign up.

You don't have to state the obvious.

Johannes88
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jan 2015, 11:21 am

DustPendulum wrote:
KayteeKay wrote:
DustPendulum wrote:

You don't have to state the obvious.

I find women on dating sites almost ubiquitously don't look like their profiles and don't act like them, but I keep hoping. I don't know if it's just my expectations coloring in the lines with the wrong shades, or the camera angles, or maybe they do just blatantly photoshop themselves but when we meet in person everything is usually different, in a bad way.

I have to say the same with attitudes. There was one girl who I met online who was very sweet to me, but the date was a total disaster. I've never seen someone go more 360 on me before. I started to even suspect maybe someone else had been writing me messages and pressuring this person to come out to see me, because she did NOT want to be there and was essentially a total b***h. She was just sulking the entire time, making me feel like I was ungrateful and I owed her for coming out to see me and making ridiculous requests like wanting to get her nails done while we were on a date and expecting me to just hover outside and wait.

Another girl who I met appeared respectably chubby, sweet, and cute online but when I met her in person she was about 300 lbs and clearly from the wrong side of the tracks attitude wise as well.

There are good ones out there, I've met good women too. But, in general, don't set your expectations very high because they will be dissappointed. Most attractive and psychologically normal(as in not crazy b***h) women have better venues to meet men than online dating. You have to really ask yourself, why is this woman on here?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 3:32 pm

Dating profiles' content and photos often get too sculpted to project the reality of the person.

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 8:08 am

I just find all the profiles look the same. People don't have anything interesting to show or share anything about themselves. This seems to be the norm, its mostly for window shopping.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 8:23 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Dating profiles' content and photos often get too sculpted to project the reality of the person.

That's why you have to message them in order to find out more than what the profile says. Dating profiles are just an introduction, to catch the initial interest of of other people.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 8:24 am

Vomelche wrote:
I just find all the profiles look the same. People don't have anything interesting to show or share anything about themselves. This seems to be the norm, its mostly for window shopping.

So, look for the ones that are interesting, which stand out for you.

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 8:50 am

Jono wrote:

Yeah that's pretty much what I do. Then after I exhaust all the options in my local area after a short period of time, I take a long reality break.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 9:12 am

Vomelche wrote:
Jono wrote:

Yeah that's pretty much what I do. Then after I exhaust all the options in my local area after a short period of time, I take a long reality break.

That sounds like me on OkCupid.

darkphantomx

27 Jan 2015, 12:16 pm

Heres why I think dating sites are bull-hockey.

Girls only consider guys who are 5 ft 9 and up. No way would a girl even consider a 5 ft 2 guy on a dating site.