How should I classify my autism to the average person?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 4:04 am

Am very open about being autistic on a couple of other big forums im on.
Want them to be able to be able to understand classic autism better through me.

Obviously have smarts when it comes to posting; answering questions and giving opinions and advice.
- But am mostly nonverbal.
- Appear inattentive
- Very withdrawn and keep to self, always sit away from others when possible etc.
- Can not really go anywhere by self without getting lost.
- Can not do any kind of cooking without supervision.
- Can not tie own shoes, clip own nails, cut own meat.
- Need to be helped getting dressed or inspected after dressing self - will put stuff on inside out,
mismatching socks or will even forget to put on shirt, pants or shoes before heading outside.
- Need a helper at school to make sure i find way to classes and have books, homework etc.
- Have severe incapacitating meltdowns.

In the eyes of the average person am thinking this would make me "very autistic" in general or as compared to more HFA aspies they might know.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 9:53 am

You could say you have classic autism...(every autistic and functioning level is different)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 10:19 am

Lumi wrote:
You could say you have classic autism...(every autistic and functioning level is different)

Not sure who would get that term though. did not even know it until i came here.
I like yours though, 'moderately autisic' simple and to the point.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 11:32 am

Yep. you can use what works for you.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 12:05 pm

EzraS wrote:
Am very open about being autistic on a couple of other big forums im on.
Want them to be able to be able to understand classic autism better through me.

Obviously have smarts when it comes to posting; answering questions and giving opinions and advice.
- But am mostly nonverbal.
I talk a lot but I never know the right thing to say.
- Appear inattentive
I don't know how to answer this one but I guess I appear normal for the most part.
- Very withdrawn and keep to self, always sit away from others when possible etc.
In my case take away the very and put in mild to moderate.
- Can not really go anywhere by self without getting lost.
I was an older teen before I stared going places on my own.
- Can not do any kind of cooking without supervision.
Well I can cook but trying to time different things together and I get flustered and I leave a mess.
- Can not tie own shoes, clip own nails, cut own meat.
I was six when I learned to tie my shoes and I could never ride a bike.
- Need to be helped getting dressed or inspected after dressing self - will put stuff on inside out,
mismatching socks or will even forget to put on shirt, pants or shoes before heading outside.
I was always slow at getting dressed when I was young
- Need a helper at school to make sure i find way to classes and have books, homework etc.
I always found my way to classes but I never had my homework and I was very disorganized to say the least.
- Have severe incapacitating meltdowns.
I tend to have a high level of anxiety and a rare meltdown.

In the eyes of the average person am thinking this would make me "very autistic" in general or as compared to more HFA aspies they might know.

I am 39 and have Aspergers Syndrome and reading your post is fascinating.
The intellectual side part of your brain is shining through in your post.

Autism must be very frustrating for you.

I guess I would call myself a high functioning and I have put a comparison of my symptoms in your quote.

That higher functioning level has not got me independent living or a relationship.

All the same parts of my functioning that are impaired seem to be a match for yours but milder.

I can certainly understand the level of frustration you must feel not only at the Autism but at peoples lack of understanding.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 1:28 pm

I kinda like "moderately autistic" also. It seems accurate to your situation, and I don't think it would sound harsh or scary to the uninitiated.

But I also kind of like the light-heartedness of Autism Classic. It reminds me of Coke Classic, and may hence be a disarming way to work it into casual banter.

I face something similar when I choose to disclose that I am in recovery. It is a balancing act of being accurate without using clinical jargon that puts people off.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 3:14 pm

sharkattack wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I can certainly understand the level of frustration you must feel not only at the Autism but at peoples lack of understanding.

Not really, since I dont really understand it myself. All the official psychobabble regarding my dx
gets lost on me, so wouldn't expect most others to get it. Just wanting to be able to explain it just
right to my satisfaction as an autism awareness type thing.

Really kind of a don't judge a book by its cover, as in you would probably be surprised what i am
like in person as compared to how i come across on the internet. I would probably seem like a
"ret*d" to you, but obviously i'm not.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 3:41 pm

EzraS wrote:
sharkattack wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Not really, since I dont really understand it myself. All the official psychobabble regarding my dx
gets lost on me, so wouldn't expect most others to get it. Just wanting to be able to explain it just
right to my satisfaction as an autism awareness type thing.

Really kind of a don't judge a book by its cover, as in you would probably be surprised what i am
like in person as compared to how i come across on the internet. I would probably seem like a
"ret*d" to you, but obviously i'm not.

Having Aspergers I find it impossible to get other people to understand me and I was called a ret*d in school so I do understand fustration.

I find I can put my thoughts down into words much better then trying to tell somebody as I get muddled fast.

On this forum you are expressing yourself very well and as Autism is a social and communication disorder among other things I will take what you write as the real you.

Over the last couple of years learning about Autism I know outward signs can be very deceiving
and I can assure you I would not make any judgement about you.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 4:37 pm

EzraS, I enjoy reading your posts. Did you mean that others might not understand the word "functioning"?

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 12:40 am

I think to most the word autism describes you, for many people with Asperger's we don't even register on any perceived ASD spectrum. It depends on the person I think, people who know about ASDs tend to divide into autism and Asperger's, take your pick.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 1:06 am

1. You seem to be very intelligent.
2. Like the posters above have said, the term you use is really your own pick but I would say you're moderately autistic.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 1:29 am

Lumi wrote:
EzraS, I enjoy reading your posts. Did you mean that others might not understand the word "functioning"?

No, "classic autism". I mean like if someone said they had "classic dyslexia" I would be "huh? What?"
Lots of the kids in the one forum have schizophrenia, aspergers, ocd, bi-polar, depression etc.
But I think i'm the only one with low/moderate functioning classic autism. Just wanted to put
something anyone could understand in my signature. Right I have "mighty autistic".
Thought that a fun play on words too.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 1:51 am

Regardless of what you tell them, unless they are educated in the field of ASDs they are only going to have a very superficial understanding of the differences between low/medium/high functioning. If they are to better understand autism through your functioning level they will still need a thorough understanding of the spectrum as well as other individuals to compare yourself to, and unless they have a decent amount of autistic friends/familiars they'd have to research extensively.

As you are mostly non-verbal, what I would suggest would be to perhaps carry around a little book, or some kind of card set (you could hand individual cards out) that briefly explains your situation and maybe links to this website or some other relevant place. Your parents could help you write and make them, and it would save you from a whole lot of frustration. The dot-points you have used would be a good way to convey the information, as it would keep it short and concise. If you would be worried about losing/dropping the book/cards you could find a way to securely attach them to your clothes or perhaps wear something akin to a utility belt. By doing this, you could help anyone understand your classic autism efficiently.. at least to the point of an understanding.

If they need to know your 'functioning level' however, then I'm going to have to agree with others and say that it's completely your choice what words you use to describe yourself.