Page 3 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 10:19 pm

Raptor wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
They are narrow minded primitive bible thumping farmers! They are uneducated and prefer to remain stupid for their lord and savior for science is the devil!

So what?
Don't become Amish and it won't be a problem for you.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Amish only want to do everything the hard way and toil when technology makes things easier. They claim they shun television and telephones because it takes away from family time then they won't plow their fields with tractors. The horses take much longer. Time they could be spending with their family is spent in the field because they are too stubborn to utilize tractors.

Weeding the garden can be a family thing, too.

The women weed the garden the men plow the field so the are not together when the man is plowing.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 10:28 pm

They like living like the flintstones! Yabba dabba do!! !

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 10:40 pm

Tractors don't multiply like a horse,you can't grow gas for a tractor,but you can hay for a horse,they pollute the air,they leak oil and hydraulic fluid,the weight of them leads to soil compaction, they don't produce fertilizer, no fun to pet and won't eat a sugar cube out of your hand. :D We had a Ford Jubilee tractor for years,we cut and bailed hay.They are not cheap when they break down.And they like to break down when you have a field of hay on the ground and it's fixing to rain.I'd rather have a good team of mules any day. There were some old timers that logged with mules here,they do less damage to the environment than a tractor or log skidder.The heavy equipment ruts out the ground and knocks over small trees. And they use lots of fuel.
A good finish carpenter makes great money.You can work at home and build cabinets.The low paying job is framer.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 10:49 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Raptor wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
They are narrow minded primitive bible thumping farmers! They are uneducated and prefer to remain stupid for their lord and savior for science is the devil!

So what?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Amish only want to do everything the hard way and toil when technology makes things easier. They claim they shun television and telephones because it takes away from family time then they won't plow their fields with tractors. The horses take much longer. Time they could be spending with their family is spent in the field because they are too stubborn to utilize tractors.

The women weed the garden the men plow the field so the are not together when the man is plowing.

Whatever.
Either way it's an Amish problem, if it even is a problem.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 11:34 pm

Horses require a lot more care than tractors and Amish won't take care of their horses and you never hear people complaining about it.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 12:34 am

Had a horse also.Good feed,wormer,cleanwater, trim hoof and re shoe.Tractor tires wear out or get flats,if you have leaks you'll be adding fluids,hoses,belts,battery.Fuel is constantly going up.Then price how much someone will charge you to work on a tractor.
In my opinion,the horse was easier and a lot more fun.
I didn't see any starving horses in MO,you can't starve a horse and expect it to work.You have to give grain and a good quality hay,like alfalfa.Not saying it doesn't happen.A trashy fellow in this county starved a mustang he adopted,but he wasn't Amish.They didn't do as much about it as I thought they should have.I think he got a fine and that's it.
If people see any animal being starved they should report it,doesn't matter whose horse it is.Amish or no Amish.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 12:39 am

Haha, you don't need to use the tractor that often :P It's not like you will be driving it to work everyday.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 2:25 am

Misslizard wrote:
Tractors don't multiply like a horse,you can't grow gas for a tractor,but you can hay for a horse,they pollute the air,they leak oil and hydraulic fluid,the weight of them leads to soil compaction, they don't produce fertilizer, no fun to pet and won't eat a sugar cube out of your hand. :D We had a Ford Jubilee tractor for years,we cut and bailed hay.They are not cheap when they break down.And they like to break down when you have a field of hay on the ground and it's fixing to rain.I'd rather have a good team of mules any day. There were some old timers that logged with mules here,they do less damage to the environment than a tractor or log skidder.The heavy equipment ruts out the ground and knocks over small trees. And they use lots of fuel.
A good finish carpenter makes great money.You can work at home and build cabinets.The low paying job is framer.

Aw, but petting a tractor is really fun! :lol:

Negolin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 May 2014, 2:55 pm

Raptor wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

So what?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

exactly.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 6:50 am

I went up to Missouri to visit the Amish. I have watched reality shows on tv about them and read books on them. I think they are a cult. They stop schooling I believe around the age of 14 and the kids get a time to be out on their own, but they can't make it on their own because they don't have enough schooling. And the families cut them entirely off if they choose to stay out in society. They have no support. I can see why they would stay. I think it's a cult.

I remember when I went up there I felt so alone. I speak to my Ma everyday and I was not able to cause my cell phone kept dropping the calls. They had no cell phone towers in that area. Their food was really good, but no McDonald's. I remember I had the best vehicle in the town (I have a Jeep Liberty Limited) and the town was so quiet that I made sure the car alarm was off because it was sensitive and would wake the whole town! I just remember seeing McDonald's on the way home and being exceedingly grateful. I couldn't wait to get back home.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 5:29 pm

Racism is contradictory to Amish philosophies. That is not to say an Amish person can't be racist, but if they were, it would have nothing to do with the fact they are Amish. The reason you don't see Amish people who are not caucasian, is the same reason that you don't often find Amish people who were not born into Amish or Mennonite families. The vast majority of Amish sects are not evangelical, meaning they do not actively seek converts, and it's difficult to integrate into closed cultures which keep themselves socially isolated from mainstream society, and have their own language.

There is nothing to stop a non-Amish, or "English" person, as the Amish call them, from living an Amish way of life, but to join an actual Amish community, the center of which is their local parish, then the person would have to seek permission from that parish to be baptized and accept what they call the "ordnung", or ordinance. These are the rules which Amish people must live by, and not growing up Amish would mean a person would have to be taught these rules. They would also be expected to learn High Dutch, an Amish dialect of German, and it would take time for the community to fully accept them as Amish.

So while it's not impossible for a non-Amish person to become Amish, there is no easy way to facilitate the assimilation into an Amish community, and so it doesn't happen often. Most individuals who are interested in the Amish way of life join more progressive Mennonite movements or an Amish sect known as the Beachy Amish.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
How come you never see any Amish that are a race becides caucasian and yet everyone praises them to the skies and treats them like they would the Holy Grail. I think Amish are backward and overrated I don't see people's fascination with them or their way of life. They are stuck in time imo.
And they have no blacks, Hispanics or Asians among them and yet no one ever complains about it.
So are they racist or not?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 5:53 pm

We have quite a few Mennonites around here.I have always enjoyed speaking to them.They are always friendly,polite and know a lot about gardening.They use cars and electricity but dress like the Amish.They have an awesome bakery,butcher shop and a small store that sells deli stuff,health foods, dented cans and surplus stuff.The best pastrami ever and the cheese bread is excellent.
No McDonalds in my small town,thank goodness.I don't consider that food.
Rural life isn't for everyone,one thing I like is people don't judge you by what you drive.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 6:18 pm

Chronos wrote:
Racism is contradictory to Amish philosophies. That is not to say an Amish person can't be racist, but if they were, it would have nothing to do with the fact they are Amish. The reason you don't see Amish people who are not caucasian, is the same reason that you don't often find Amish people who were not born into Amish or Mennonite families. The vast majority of Amish sects are not evangelical, meaning they do not actively seek converts, and it's difficult to integrate into closed cultures which keep themselves socially isolated from mainstream society, and have their own language.

There is nothing to stop a non-Amish, or "English" person, as the Amish call them, from living an Amish way of life, but to join an actual Amish community, the center of which is their local parish, then the person would have to seek permission from that parish to be baptized and accept what they call the "ordnung", or ordinance. These are the rules which Amish people must live by, and not growing up Amish would mean a person would have to be taught these rules. They would also be expected to learn High Dutch, an Amish dialect of German, and it would take time for the community to fully accept them as Amish.

So while it's not impossible for a non-Amish person to become Amish, there is no easy way to facilitate the assimilation into an Amish community, and so it doesn't happen often. Most individuals who are interested in the Amish way of life join more progressive Mennonite movements or an Amish sect known as the Beachy Amish.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
How come you never see any Amish that are a race becides caucasian and yet everyone praises them to the skies and treats them like they would the Holy Grail. I think Amish are backward and overrated I don't see people's fascination with them or their way of life. They are stuck in time imo.
And they have no blacks, Hispanics or Asians among them and yet no one ever complains about it.
So are they racist or not?

My maternal grandfather, whose family had originated in southern Bavaria, had described the German his family had spoken as "High Dutch." I have to wonder if the ancestors of the Amish had come from there, as well.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 6:48 pm

/\Any relatives from Palatine?I just found ansectors from that region.If so,Howdy cousin.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 10:46 pm

Misslizard wrote:
/\Any relatives from Palatine?I just found ansectors from that region.If so,Howdy cousin.

Actually, the Kraichgau, which was right across the Rhine from the Palatine, had in fact been counted as part of the the Palantine (based on speaking a similar high Franconian German dialect), though politically separated, before being divided between Baden and Wurttemberg by Napoleon. Today, the Kraichgau is part of the state of Baden-Wurttemberg, even though the people there are of Frankish origin rather than of Swabian/Alemannic origin, and today still speak a seperate Franconian dialect. But back in the days when settlers from the Palantine came to America, many of them in fact came from the Kraichgau. So yeah, very possibly we are kin. :D

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 11:49 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Actually, the Kraichgau, which was right across the Rhine from the Palatine, had in fact been counted as part of the the Palantine (based on speaking a similar high Franconian German dialect), though politically separated, before being divided between Baden and Wurttemberg by Napoleon. Today, the Kraichgau is part of the state of Baden-Wurttemberg, even though the people there are of Frankish origin rather than of Swabian/Alemannic origin, and today still speak a seperate Franconian dialect. But back in the days when settlers from the Palantine came to America, many of them in fact came from the Kraichgau. So yeah, very possibly we are kin. :D

Cool,thanks for the info.I don't know anything about the region.He was born there around 1740,Rheinland-Pfalz,Bunderspublik then migrated to Tennessee.I got a hoot out of the name.Nimrod Nuimann(Newman).Wonder if he was a mighty hunter in the eyes of the Lord. :D If you ever do genealogical research I'd suggest Geni.Its free and I had great success.