Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 5:00 pm

it is a textural and perceptive thing with the 'maters and me. I can eat processed tomato products, just not raw tomatoes. and i battle my weight also. :hmph:

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 5:16 pm

That"s why i can't eat kiwi. Do any of you ever wonder if say you were totally starving, maybe you were stuck on a boat in the middle of the sea and suddenly a big plate of really smushy tomatoes or whatever you hate went by, would you eat them? I wonder about that kind of stuff sometimes. I don't go near fish, it is so entirely gross to me, but if I was starving, would I gag it down or be happy to get it?

Yayoi
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Feb 2014, 6:41 pm

I avoid raw fruit and vegetables like the plague. I'll only have them if they're cooked into something like a pasta sauce or a curry, or mixed up in a juice. Cow's milk is also something I avoid because it disgusts me; I have soy instead.

iammaz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Feb 2014, 9:15 pm

wozeree wrote:
That"s why i can't eat kiwi. Do any of you ever wonder if say you were totally starving, maybe you were stuck on a boat in the middle of the sea and suddenly a big plate of really smushy tomatoes or whatever you hate went by, would you eat them? I wonder about that kind of stuff sometimes. I don't go near fish, it is so entirely gross to me, but if I was starving, would I gag it down or be happy to get it?

I'm pretty sure i'd starve to death in front of a buffet table if there was nothing i liked.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 9:30 pm

I suppose if I was starving I would reflexively scarf down the nasty tomatoes and olives and cucumbers. blech. :eew:

Herman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2014, 10:25 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I cannot tolerate-

*raw sliced open tomatoes, that sickly seed-ridden quivering jelly makes me wanna rolf.

That greenish quivering jelly is literally one of my favourite culinary delights!

I had a lot of problems similar to the OP, which still persist to some degree. I also find eating takes quite a bit of focus and only very recently (now aged 29) have I developed the skill, confidence and lack of caring that I am able to eat in a social setting.

I do like eating in very large volumes. I am always hungry but quite fussy and particular on the things I want. This can prove irritating to those around me, as so much of my own time and thinking is spent on figuring out when I am going to get my next meal, and how I am going to maximise satiety, flavour, nutrition, value for money etc..

When finally eating, I find it physically challenging and need to both have things quite close to my face, so cannot stand low tables etc.. I also need to concentrate on getting everything in as quickly as possible as I am both very hungry and enjoying the food.

But something I cannot stand is getting messy, greasy hands or face etc.. so I have to be careful too. I have a tendency to get out of breath due to eating to fast and being overful, so tried to talk to people simultaneously is hard.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 10:29 pm

Yeah growing up I always heard the refrain, if you got hungry enough you would eat it, but I don't think I would.

I don't eat many fruits or vegetables, never have. I do get a craving once in awhile for something green, but I can only eat a little of it and then I start to feel repulsed.

People are so shocked if I say I don't eat fruits or vegetables, and some almost have a moral judgment about it, like it makes you a horrible person. I always thought that was strange.

I just found out the other day that I may have fructose malabsorption. That could explain why I feel repulsed by some fruits and vegetables, and I can only eat small amounts of the ones I like. Interestingly, I do like strawberries and those are low in fructose.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 10:31 pm

I didn't eat my veggies for most of my life, and it surely caught up with me by my 40s, I had all sorts of ills.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 10:48 pm

wozeree wrote:

:lol: This reminds me of what my mum would tell me about canned tuna fish and cold-cuts (those slimy sliced lunch meats). The smell of them is nauseating and the texture/taste is completely disgusting. My mum would say if I was starving on an island somewhere and there was nothing to eat I would be happy to have tuna. Well, I'd eat it if I were starving ,obviously but I think I might still have to gag it down.

@auntblabby- I also loathe cucumbers and big tomatoes/slices of tomatoes that have a mealy quality to them but I really like cherry tomatoes and I like tomato sauce, oddly enough.

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

23 Feb 2014, 12:30 am

Everything must be cold or at most, lukewarm, but never frozen. This includes all meals most people would eat warm, and drinks such as coffee.

I usually prefer eating powdered drinks as powder as opposed to making drinks of them. This caused a lot of stares at my last job lol...

"Don't be That One Aspie..."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 12:34 am

all my liquid refreshments must be ICE-cold! especially tap water as it tends more often than not to taste mealy at room temperature.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 12:40 am

daydreamer84 wrote:
wozeree wrote:

:lol: This reminds me of what my mum would tell me about canned tuna fish and cold-cuts (those slimy sliced lunch meats). The smell of them is nauseating and the texture/taste is completely disgusting. My mum would say if I was starving on an island somewhere and there was nothing to eat I would be happy to have tuna. Well, I'd eat it if I were starving ,obviously but I think I might still have to gag it down.

@auntblabby- I also loathe cucumbers and big tomatoes/slices of tomatoes that have a mealy quality to them but I really like cherry tomatoes and I like tomato sauce, oddly enough.

Do you like catsup ?- (I'm not asking for any particular reason). :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 12:50 am

wozeree wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:
wozeree wrote:

I like PROCESSED tomatoes rather like a normal person would prefer butchered and cooked meat over the raw stuff.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 1:36 am

wozeree wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:
wozeree wrote:

ketchup? indeed, I do. :)

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 1:38 am

auntblabby wrote:
wozeree wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:
wozeree wrote:

I like PROCESSED tomatoes rather like a normal person would prefer butchered and cooked meat over the raw stuff.

Yeah, I like processed tomatoes but then I also like cherry tomatoes, the little ones but not big tomatoes which I can't explain. :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 2:05 am

agreed, the cherry 'maters are much more benign. :)