Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 2:05 am

agreed, the cherry 'maters are much more benign. :)

Jezebel
Toucan
Toucan

23 Feb 2014, 3:38 am

Everyone seems to like things being cold. I've always been the opposite. I had ulcers in my mouth when I was 4 from my food being too hot. Even now, I pretty much put everything I eat on precisely 5:35 in the microwave. I just like it hot.

Now, drinks must be really cold. I hate lukewarm. I only like two ice cubes in my soda, otherwise it becomes too watery and is just intolerable.

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 11:21 am

I have issues with textures too.
Only today I ate some quiche bought from the supermarket deli counter, it had a small piece of under cooked onion in the filling that just ruined it for me. I don't like semi/fully raw onions amongst an otherwise soft food item. :eew:

mongo_nc
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Feb 2014, 12:53 pm

I've also had some peculiar eating habits from early on and I tend to eat the same things over and over. Drives my wife and kids nuts. :lol:

Right now I'm enjoying canned chicken and microwavable rice for lunch for the 3rd day straight. I usually keep the same food routine, especially when I'm out of town working. It helps me keep track of my calories as I tend to overeat my meals which explains my weight.

To keep my cholesterol at a happy number, I keep with lean meats. At home I tend to eat nothing but chicken and turkey with a beef dish maybe once a week and I try to eat fish as often as I can afford it. I don't eat pork anything. If I do a salad with no meat, it's usually romaine lettuce, baby spinach, 8-10 cucumber slices, mozzarella cheese, and feta cheese with an olive-oil based dressing. Occasionally I may add sunflower seeds, canned/cut up chicken, and/or tuna fish.

I like certain flavors and textures and rarely do I like to mix things. My wife and kids like mashed potatoes mixed with corn. I don't. While I like both, I don't like them combined. It's just an odd mix of textures. Also, when I drink coffee in the morning, I like to have something sweet-ish to complement my coffee. I drink black coffee. I don't like the taste of sugar and/or cream in my coffee, however, I like the taste of sugar and or cream to compliment my coffee, especially if it's non-flavored coffee. Same with sweets/ice cream. Anytime I have something sugary, I like to have coffee with it to counteract the flavor. It is what it is. :lol:

Aspie score: 148 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 67 of 200
Very likely an Aspie

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 12:56 pm

I have a routine for breakfast and lunch. My breakfast is always the same. My lunch depends upon if I am at home or at work. Dinner is different, as my wife prepares that. The routine simplifies my life. It’s one less thing to worry about.

Below are some of the foods I don’t care for:
- Raw Tomatoes (dislike taste, texture)
- Celery (dislike taste, texture)
- Cucumber (dislike taste)
- Olives (dislike taste, texture)
- Mushrooms (dislike texture)
- Cake (too dry)
- Many types of Seafood (too rubbery/too chewy)
- Beer (dislike taste)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 2:22 pm

mongo_nc wrote:
To keep my cholesterol at a happy number, I keep with lean meats. I like certain flavors and textures and rarely do I like to mix things. My wife and kids like mashed potatoes mixed with corn. I don't. While I like both, I don't like them combined. It's just an odd mix of textures. Also, when I drink coffee in the morning, I like to have something sweet-ish to complement my coffee. I drink black coffee. I don't like the taste of sugar and/or cream in my coffee, however, I like the taste of sugar and or cream to compliment my coffee, especially if it's non-flavored coffee. Same with sweets/ice cream. Anytime I have something sugary, I like to have coffee with it to counteract the flavor. It is what it is. :lol:

my cholesterol numbers didn't start to behave until I cut the carbs.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 2:24 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
I have a routine for breakfast and lunch. My breakfast is always the same. My lunch depends upon if I am at home or at work. Dinner is different, as my wife prepares that. The routine simplifies my life. It’s one less thing to worry about.

Below are some of the foods I don’t care for:
- Raw Tomatoes (dislike taste, texture)
- Celery (dislike taste, texture)
- Cucumber (dislike taste)
- Olives (dislike taste, texture)
- Mushrooms (dislike texture)
- Cake (too dry)
- Many types of Seafood (too rubbery/too chewy)
- Beer (dislike taste)

agree totally except with cake, as there are moist cakes I have found. certain seafoods like octopus and squid are too rubbery for me as well. beer is generally WAY TOO BITTER for me. brews like keystone lite being the exception. but it has no body. I wish they sold molsen golden where I live.

mongo_nc
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Feb 2014, 2:34 pm

auntblabby wrote:
mongo_nc wrote:
To keep my cholesterol at a happy number, I keep with lean meats. I like certain flavors and textures and rarely do I like to mix things. My wife and kids like mashed potatoes mixed with corn. I don't. While I like both, I don't like them combined. It's just an odd mix of textures. Also, when I drink coffee in the morning, I like to have something sweet-ish to complement my coffee. I drink black coffee. I don't like the taste of sugar and/or cream in my coffee, however, I like the taste of sugar and or cream to compliment my coffee, especially if it's non-flavored coffee. Same with sweets/ice cream. Anytime I have something sugary, I like to have coffee with it to counteract the flavor. It is what it is. :lol:

I know that to be true. When I applied for life insurance I had to have a physical. Even at 6' and 290 lbs in September 2012, my total cholesterol was 192 where the LDL was a little high and the HDL was a little low. Triglycerides were a little high in the 350 range. But at that time I was working out 3 days a week and didn't eat a ton of sweets. Right now after the binge of donuts, swiss rolls, and other assorted sweets and not working out for over a year, I reckon it would be around 220-240 or so. I'm ok with that as long as the percentages are fairly in line (which I doubt they will be). Either way, I don't go nuts if it's not at or around 200 +/- 10 points. But I definitely need to cut out the sweets/pastries/etc. That's the hardest thing for me to do as it has ALWAYS been my Achilles Heel.

Aspie score: 148 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 67 of 200
Very likely an Aspie

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 2:37 pm

mongo_nc wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
mongo_nc wrote:

I know that to be true. When I applied for life insurance I had to have a physical. Even at 6' and 290 lbs in September 2012, my total cholesterol was 192 where the LDL was a little high and the HDL was a little low. Triglycerides were a little high in the 350 range. But at that time I was working out 3 days a week and didn't eat a ton of sweets. Right now after the binge of donuts, swiss rolls, and other assorted sweets and not working out for over a year, I reckon it would be around 220-240 or so. I'm ok with that as long as the percentages are fairly in line (which I doubt they will be). Either way, I don't go nuts if it's not at or around 200 +/- 10 points. But I definitely need to cut out the sweets/pastries/etc. That's the hardest thing for me to do as it has ALWAYS been my Achilles Heel.

I just had a little discussion with myself, saying "self, which would you prefer, 'tasting good, or FEELING good?'" IOW I had to prefer being healthy over eating tasty food. food for me is just for sustenance and not for enjoyment. that is the only way I can sustain healthy eating is to not care much about flavor, to find other things in life to savor. priorities I guess.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 2:49 pm

auntblabby wrote:
agree totally except with cake, as there are moist cakes I have found.

This is true. When I was growing up, the cake seemed much drier than it is today. I remember being the only kid who disliked eating cake at birthday parties (that, and I hated the popping balloons - but that's another thread).

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 2:53 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
agree totally except with cake, as there are moist cakes I have found.

This is true. When I was growing up, the cake seemed much drier than it is today. I remember being the only kid who disliked eating cake at birthday parties (that, and I hated the popping balloons - but that's another thread).

I had a hard time eating bread and sandwiches, they kept getting stuck in my throat. I wonder if I didn't have enough saliva back then?