Does anyone like Hawkgirl from JLU animated series?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 8:51 pm

I'm not talking about her in the comic books as I've never read them but from Bruce Timm's Justice League cartoon series from the early 2000's. A show I'd wish they'd bring back. For me personally I do like her I guess except at the same time I feel like I have mixed feelings, mostly for what she did in the 3 parter Starcrossed. Of all the original 7 founding members she was probably my least favourite. Don't get me wrong she was a strong fighter and I'll admit was good at the wise cracking (though not as good as the Flash) but the real reason was because the other 6 were more interesting and while her romance with the Green Lantern was good I didn't really find it as interesting as say the romance between Batman and Wonder Woman because well they were half the trinity. When Starcrossed came along she gained more of an interest to me when it turns out she was a spy and even turned on her own team because she thought she was doing good by helping planet earth when her people the Thanagarians invaded. However she did eventually turn against them when she found out that they were going to destroy the earth to save their world. At the same time she was developing a relationship with Green Lantern which was serious now but when her people come it turns out she was betrothed to the guy in charge which is a real stab in the back to GL. I guess that's one of my dislikes about her that she lied to the so called man she loves (GL) but then again earlier on before Starcrossed GL was coming on to her alot and she was trying to push herself away but in the end she just couldn't resist which I guess I can't blame her much. But she betrayed the planet and her friends even whacking GL in the face but again when it turns out the hawkmen were gonna blow up the earth she immediately turned on them so again I'll give her some credit. Of course when we get to the Unlimited series I find her a more interesting character here I guess and even her relationship with GL is a little more interesting which turns into sort of a love triangle when GL gets a new girlfriend Vixen. But what's even more interesting is that in one episode GL goes to the future and meets his and Hawkgirl's future son Warhawk which get the relationship between these two more interesting. They even introduce this story plot where they discover that they might be reincarnated lovers which I don't think went anywhere and in the end they still didn't get back together which is kind of a bummer not that I'm a fan of romance that much though it can be interesting when put into the type of media that suits me. Also I guess I felt a little sorry for her when she was sort of frowned on at times by others for what she did but then again why should I since she was the one who double crossed them. So the answer to the question do I like this character for me is yes but I still have some problems with her as mentioned above.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 10:20 pm

Yeah, I did like HawkGirl's arc from Justice League through StarCrossed and into Justice League Unlimited. I felt sorry for her when she got dumped by John and kicked off the team. I though the episode with her a Solomon Grundy was well done and very sad.

But my favorite JLU chicks are Black Canary and Huntress. Double Date was one of my favorite episodes.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 8:51 am

I didn't like her as a character until the episode where she helps Solomon Grundy, and the later episode where he comes back and they have to battle again. Before that, I detested her. Overall, I think her character wasn't bad. I could emote about her, and she wasn't too shallow or flimsy. I actually like this version of Wonder Woman less than Hawk Girl.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 5:15 pm

GoonSquad wrote

Quote:
I felt sorry for her when she got dumped by John and kicked off the team.

She wasn't exactly kicked off the team she left before the League could tell her that she was welcome back or not. We didn't learn that she was voted back onto the League until the Solomon Grundy episode. I guess I feel the same and wished that she got back together with Green Lantern and had their son but what are you going to do? Also I guess I'd sort of felt sorry for her when say she was frowned at by Wonder Woman who is my favourite girl leaguer but to her credit (Wonder Woman's that is) she kinda had a right too. Plus it's not like they were buddy buds in the past, they were more like co workers so why even put a rivalry in the show anyway.