Aspergers normal to above normal IQ true or false?

Page 4 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 4:48 pm

starkid wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
The true measure of intelligence is not a score on an exam, it is the ability to innovate the world in something using your mind.

There is no such things as a "true measure" of intelligence. The meaning of the concept of intelligence is entirely subjective, and so are all of the measurements of it.

Quote:
What good is a high IQ score if you never use it on anything creative/imaginative?

It isn't meant to be "good" in and of itself. IQ scores are merely intended to be means to other ends.[/quote

What I said above about the "true measure" of intelligence is an adaptation of Albert Einstein's quote: "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination". Without imagination, there is no inspiration for innovation. While there is no perfect test to accurately measure all forms of intelligence, there exists things that exist only by someone's innovation.

IQs are only a measure of mental potential, much like the amount of charge in a battery. However, if you never use your mental skills properly, you will lose them with time.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 5:08 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
What I said above about the "true measure" of intelligence is an adaptation of Albert Einstein's quote: "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination". Without imagination, there is no inspiration for innovation. While there is no perfect test to accurately measure all forms of intelligence, there exists things that exist only by someone's innovation.

IQs are only a measure of mental potential, much like the amount of charge in a battery. However, if you never use your mental skills properly, you will lose them with time.

Whatever your point is, I don't get it. The source of the concept of a "true measure" of intelligence has no bearing on the fact that there is no true measure of intelligence.

Awilder
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 4:40 pm

I'm going to keep this simplified at best when I was originally diagnosed as having AS my IQ was rated at between 82-89 but, I have innate knowledge of computers though not on a programming level as well, understand things that seem fairly complex therefore, numbers don't tell the whole story of a person's potential throughout life..

We are like the wind,
Wrapped, luminous wind,
We make a road for the spirits to pass over.
For the Spirits to pass over.

usaneanderthal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Mar 2015, 10:17 pm

==FALSE ==

their IQ is no higher than neurotypical.

different --yes --higher --NO.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 10:59 pm

IQ is simply inadequate and overrated. It does not fully measure intelligence, but what it does measure of intelligence is rather one directional. Even when you take an IQ test that breaks down different cognitive abilities into separate scores and the overall IQ, it still is somewhat one directional as the cognitive abilities are not being tested at any kind of practical level.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 11:03 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
IQ is simply inadequate and overrated. It does not fully measure intelligence, but what it does measure of intelligence is rather one directional.

IQ doesn't measure anything, but is itself a measurement.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 11:49 am

starkid wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:
IQ is simply inadequate and overrated. It does not fully measure intelligence, but what it does measure of intelligence is rather one directional.

IQ doesn't measure anything, but is itself a measurement.

Read some of Aristotle's work on measurement maybe?

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 2:18 pm

Protogenoi wrote:

Not without a reason to do so I won't.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 2:49 pm

starkid wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:

Not without a reason to do so I won't.

My point is that a measurement is a measure. The unit is known as a measure.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 7:42 pm

Another study to throw into the mix...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/health/news/a ... d=11415518

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 9:23 pm

B19 wrote:
Another study to throw into the mix...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/health/news/a ... d=11415518

That's interesting. It reminds me of my psychology lecture today...

jonnycorsair
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Mar 2015, 9:28 am

I have taken the one suggested early in this thread, the basic online ones and a Mensa one, I come out around the same on every one, and to me, they all seem to be based on the same type of very logical rationing so I really don't see there can much to be 'wrong' about the online free ones. The more questions they ask the more 'precise' the result can be. The tiredness/alertness and the interest in the quiz will vary, probably leading to variances in the result. But basically, they all use the same type of visual problem, requiring no previous knowledge (except possibly very basic knowledge of shapes).
Who has had professional IQ tests and feels they got a vastly different result from the 'free online type'?

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 6:27 pm

i had a different IQ test, my working memory, information processing and verbal I.Q was below average but my visual I.Q wa above, i dont know the exact numbers.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 12:26 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
i had a different IQ test, my working memory, information processing and verbal I.Q was below average but my visual I.Q wa above, i dont know the exact numbers.

Did you take Stanford-Binet?

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 6:33 pm

Online IQ tests are not accurate. You must do one professionaly. I don't know my IQ either but I'm guessing average :) I have a recommendation to get it tested tho but IQ isn't everything, it's what you can do with your intelligence that makes most difference and not only having it.

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 2:24 am

starkid wrote:
JSBACHlover wrote:
For example, the experts place Bach's I.Q. at 165,

Based on what? And what are they experts in, psychometric testing of corpses? :P

Based on brain raping math like this:

Or his ability to improvise similar material on the spot during three different keyboard competitions, where he made very famous french organists look like buffoons. And the mathematical puzzles embedded in much of his music, symbolic references and sentimentality that wouldn't even be noticeable to someone without extremely intimate knowledge of the instruments (in his St. Matthew Passion, for example, when the choir is singing Jesu "thou art most high" during the first chorus, the bassoons play notes that are high for their range but not exactly that high compared to other instruments), a number of his famous pieces of music are an encyclopedic microcosm of every similar piece of music at the same time (the Art of Fugue catalogs every known style of fugue at the time, the mass in B minor catalogs every late baroque style of sacred music, etc.), as well as the most impressive fact of all: at the same time that his music matured over the course of his life, he continued to write more and more extremely complex music, constantly evolving to the point where in many areas he was over 100 years ahead of the curve, ending up with a grand total of over 3500 pieces of music (that we know of). So you tell me how smart you have to be to paint the Sistine Chapel over a thousand times.