Aspergers normal to above normal IQ true or false?

Page 5 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

GreenPandaLord
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jun 2015, 2:52 am

I have an IQ that is above average, yet Albert Einstein said." Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree. It will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." Labels are great as it helps us to organise and understand things, but it can harm by adding stigma and bias thinking to things. If you tell someone that you are autistic they will begin seeing everything through that lenses. You might do something weird and they will think" was that his/her Aspergers." It is a tough situation to use IQ tests as the same result can apply they are bias and are not formed to the individual testee.

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 3:06 am

I don't think that IQ fully describes a person's potential and intelligence with things.

I know plenty of people that probably wouldn't score very high on a traditional IQ test, but are clever in other ways.

I was tested once and they said I had an IQ of 120 something (WISC 4, done by a professional). However, there are definitely ways in which I am very stupid. lol

gaz34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jun 2015, 9:14 am

I don't believe that IQ tests are always a good indicator of how intelligent a person is as they don't take into account soft skills only hard skills like logic, arithmetic etc. Aspies in general I believe are probably above average at hard skills hence why we often perform very well on IQ tests.

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2015, 6:40 pm

Without reading the other responses (sorry), here's my response.

1. Mostly true. One of the ways Aspergians were differentiated from people with 'classic ASD' was by IQ (which was, for AS, average and above). However...

2. There's no true measure of human intelligence, just like there's no true measure of empathy. IQ can be useful in applying for services, etc., but if your IQ is average to above average... it really doesn't mean much.

3. Referring to (1), notice I say "were differentiated". The DSM 5 no longer classifies AS (or PDD-NOS, for that matter) as an official condition. Everything's just "autism spectrum disorder".

4. And, finally, IQ tests online are almost always unreliable. You need to be evaluated by a professional in a clinical, unbiased setting.

Soomander
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jul 2015, 11:40 pm

On my WISC(Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children) I got a 123. This is probably more accurate than online tests as it was administered in person by a licensed psychologist. I took a few online tests and they kept saying it was around 150. Online tests are not accurate as they ask very simple questions and do not perform critical thinking tests.

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 12:16 am

I'm on the side of thinking IQ scores don't really tell us as much about someone as they want us to believe.

I was tested by a professional and I found out they can't figure my number out, so I guess I don't really have an IQ :P
(although, most people put me at above average. How far, I have no clue. I also don't remember the name of the test, but I think it was the WAIS - Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale)

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 12:22 am

sharkattack wrote:

It's says I have an IQ of 128 and that test was hard.

that puts you in the gifted range. congrats.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 12:30 am

Xenization wrote:

1. Mostly true. One of the ways Aspergians were differentiated from people with 'classic ASD' was by IQ (which was, for AS, average and above). However...

2. There's no true measure of human intelligence, just like there's no true measure of empathy. IQ can be useful in applying for services, etc., but if your IQ is average to above average... it really doesn't mean much.

3. Referring to (1), notice I say "were differentiated". The DSM 5 no longer classifies AS (or PDD-NOS, for that matter) as an official condition. Everything's just "autism spectrum disorder".

4. And, finally, IQ tests online are almost always unreliable. You need to be evaluated by a professional in a clinical, unbiased setting.

my official IQ and my IQ by an online test are within two points of each other.

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 8:56 pm

cathylynn wrote:
Xenization wrote:

my official IQ and my IQ by an online test are within two points of each other.

That means basically nothing, and it certainly doesn't validate online IQ tests.

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 10:22 pm

that test isn't reliable or accurate I think

I scored 139 on it, which clearly isn't correct since my actual tested iq is 123. it looks like all it is is 20 questions and a timer.. if you really are interested in having an objective measure of your intelligence go see a professional or something. that being said it's probably not a good idea to obsess over how smart you are..

sport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2020, 11:26 am

I guess the reason I don't like them is have always scored lower than average.I never was top in the class.