Aspergers normal to above normal IQ true or false?

Page 2 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 9:02 pm

Asperger's and mixed receptive-expressive language disorder, seriously? Because add those two up, and it's another name for classic autism. Did your psychologist get paid by the diagnosis, or something? :roll:

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 9:07 pm

MrStewart wrote:
I took the WAIS as part of my neuropsych assessment. They didn't list score numbers in the report, only percentile. It said I am on the low side of average (37%).

But, for those of us on the autism spectrum it is especially important not to pay attention to iq scores. The usual iq test result for persons on the spectrum is all over the place -some spots very high, some spots very low- which renders the test invalid in so far as its validity as a metric of your cognitive ability. The reason an iq test is often included in psych testing is more to see the distribution of your scores in the various categories and pinpoint areas where you struggle.

My psychologist wouldn't even give me a full scale IQ score or percentage and just said it was unreliable because of the score scatter. My VIQ was in the high-average-superior range and PIQ was borderline intellectual disability range. My individual sub-scores ranged from the .04th percentile to the 93rd percentile! I have a specific learning disorder impairing my understanding of spatial relations so some of my PIQ scores were REALLY low. *I was also assessed using WAIS.* I asked to have a full-scale score calculated and later asked my high school guidance counsellor at school if she knew how to calculate it from the sub-scores but both refused.

Last edited by daydreamer84 on 26 Feb 2014, 9:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 9:09 pm

triplicate

Last edited by daydreamer84 on 26 Feb 2014, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

duplicate-sorry.

Last edited by daydreamer84 on 26 Feb 2014, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

Callista wrote:
Asperger's and mixed receptive-expressive language disorder, seriously? Because add those two up, and it's another name for classic autism. Did your psychologist get paid by the diagnosis, or something? :roll:

Right?

I don't know.

I began speaking at age 2.5. Therefore I did not meet the diagnostic criteria for autism in the DSM 4. It honestly doesn't matter all that much to me, either way.

I'm in speech therapy and my diagnosis didn't really matter as much as my actual problems.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 4:33 am

You need to have normal IQ (which starts at 80) to qualify the Asperger's diagnosis. So if you're an aspie you definitely have normal or above IQ. I think IQ test is a waste of time but they need the data to enter on their forms. :roll: Last time I was tested they knew it's not going to be accurate because it's done in my 3rd language, and based heavily on American culture and history, but they still had to do it to collect the numbers. However if done in your native language, most aspies show very uneven scores (like really high visual-spatial, and really low working memory...etc.), that's supposed to be a sign of autism. The total means less than the relative strength and weakness of your intelligence.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 4:39 am

dont trust those online tests, i got 112 once but then i got a real test done and showed i was BELOW average in many areas. theyre not really reliable at all. theyre just there for kicks.

my iq looks like this

Working Memory I.Q: 89-96 = average (or low average)

Spatial and Visual I.Q: 98-101 = average

Verbal I.Q: 68-75 = below average

Processing Speed I.Q: 65- 70 = below average

which other than working memory,(which was apparently higher than some people with ASD) was claimed typical for someone with ASD

EDIT: i should mention that the reason i have short term memory loss is because i have such a slow processing.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 4:59 am

I don't know if anyone here experience this but when I am doing an exam or doing a task or solving a puzzle I feel very very very anxious and I perform a lot worse. IQ tests included.
I think IQ places emphasis in logic and visual reasoning, and is not good at measuring things like associative skills, understanding of abstract concepts, creativity, and those are actually a VERY important part of intelligence. Depending on your study field or career they are much more important for academic success than logic and visual reasoning.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 2:37 pm

Callista wrote:

I agree. Or maybe they thought a diagnosis of Asperger's would be better accepted by the parents than a diagnosis of autism. Or maybe the poster didn't meet the therapist's stereotypes of classic autism. But anyway, you're right, and that is a weird set of diagnoses.

Antosh74
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Nov 2014, 6:33 pm

Callista wrote:

Lmfao! I got it exactly the same..

When i was in School, at age 9-10 or something i got dxed with mixed receptive and expressive language disorder, later at age 20 i got dxed with AS. Im (23).

Generally i do fulfill the critetia for aspergers: got average IQ, Even above in some areas according to some, i started to speak on time when i was a child, didnt had cognitive delays with self help skills etc etc, but still i have a language disorder...??
Is it Possible to have some sort of language disordee/delay and still have Aspergers? Beacuse i heard many Times for example people that had speech delays as kids still gets a AS diagnosis despite critetia for AS excludes speech delays?
Anyone else here with simillar problems as me and screen name??

P.s i did have a Account here on WP not so long ago but i did forget My nick and email.. :roll:
And sorry for My lack of grammar, English is my 3rd language and im still learning it.. :oops:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 8:00 pm

sharkattack wrote:
Ok I am an Aspie and to be honest I have no idea of my IQ I am going to find a good test online and do a test and post the results here.

If anybody knows of a good test then please post the link.

I have a funny feeling some with classic Autism are going to beat me very quickly.

We all like to think we are smart but my Aspie honesty tells me this might not be true in my case or in the case of many people who think they are smart.

Edit I have just found a site that says the average IQ is 100 this is going to be interesting.

Isn't this like asking "is it true that bachelors are single?"?

Being single is part of the definition of "bachelor" .

Part of the definition of being aspie is having an average, or above average IQ. If you're lower than average by definition you are LFA.

And it IS "AVERAGE- to above". Being aspie doesnt guarantee that you are a genius. I just means that you're not in the R word category.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 10:11 pm

sharkattack wrote:
IQ tests are crackpot science then?

I suppose you can take different ones until you get the result you want. :lol:

They aren't crackpot science. Some are made by crackpots though. There are a number of IQ tests that may not accurately describe general "intelligence", but they are a good meter of what they test for. I would suggest referring to the tests accepted by Mensa, Prometheus and Tektonic.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 10:32 pm

Well, technically several diagnostic standards for aspergers require average or more IQ. But I don't think anyone cares about that too much. IQ changes

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 10:58 pm

I think ego tests are more about ego fulfillment and bragging rights than anything else. There are plenty enough idiots on this planet with high IQ's who are incapable of using their high IQ to benefit themselves or anyone else.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 4:14 pm

I've read somewhere that boys on the spectrum are more likely to be smarter than girls on the spectrum, but I could be wrong. Makes sense with me though, as I am average in some things, but below average in other things. I've never been cleverer than everybody else. That has never bothered me too much though. I worry more about how social I am than how clever I am.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 5:34 pm

Lukecash12 wrote:
sharkattack wrote:
IQ tests are crackpot science then?

I suppose you can take different ones until you get the result you want. :lol:

They aren't crackpot science. Some are made by crackpots though. There are a number of IQ tests that may not accurately describe general "intelligence", but they are a good meter of what they test for. I would suggest referring to the tests accepted by Mensa, Prometheus and Tektonic.

Ok I started this thread some time ago and I have this to add.

I don't want to do a proper test because I may not like the answer.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. :lol: