Aspergers normal to above normal IQ true or false?

Page 3 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 4:13 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
The true measure of intelligence is not a score on an exam, it is the ability to innovate the world in something using your mind. What good is a high IQ score if you never use it on anything creative/imaginative? Albert Einstein did not have the highest IQ measured (only in the 160 range if I remember right), yet everyone can pretty much agree he was an extreme genius based upon the work that he did using only his musings/calculations to understand the universe. Aspies do have an advantage in this because they tend to think outside of the normal NT "box", which means that they are typically more creative/imaginative from the start...

You can also display intelligence in activities of daily life--if something breaks--can you figure out how to fix it?

I am learning to cook--it may take a few tries but I can usually go through some recipes and change them so it comes out the way it want.

Gardening--can you figure out what a plant needs to grow vigorously? Or, if its is flowering plant, to bloom profusely? Long term memory can be quite useful to a gardener.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 4:17 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
The true measure of intelligence is not a score on an exam, it is the ability to innovate the world in something using your mind.

There is no such things as a "true measure" of intelligence. The meaning of the concept of intelligence is entirely subjective, and so are all of the measurements of it.

Quote:
What good is a high IQ score if you never use it on anything creative/imaginative?

It isn't meant to be "good" in and of itself. IQ scores are merely intended to be means to other ends.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 4:29 pm

BTDT wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
The true measure of intelligence is not a score on an exam, it is the ability to innovate the world in something using your mind. What good is a high IQ score if you never use it on anything creative/imaginative? Albert Einstein did not have the highest IQ measured (only in the 160 range if I remember right), yet everyone can pretty much agree he was an extreme genius based upon the work that he did using only his musings/calculations to understand the universe. Aspies do have an advantage in this because they tend to think outside of the normal NT "box", which means that they are typically more creative/imaginative from the start...

You can also display intelligence in activities of daily life--if something breaks--can you figure out how to fix it?

I am learning to cook--it may take a few tries but I can usually go through some recipes and change them so it comes out the way it want.

Gardening--can you figure out what a plant needs to grow vigorously? Or, if its is flowering plant, to bloom profusely? Long term memory can be quite useful to a gardener.

True, you can do that and show intelligence by mastering these skills in your everyday life. However, you could also figure out ways to fix things so they preform better than the original ever did. That challenge would require more cognitive processes than just repairing it back to the way it was.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 4:48 pm

starkid wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
The true measure of intelligence is not a score on an exam, it is the ability to innovate the world in something using your mind.

There is no such things as a "true measure" of intelligence. The meaning of the concept of intelligence is entirely subjective, and so are all of the measurements of it.

Quote:
What good is a high IQ score if you never use it on anything creative/imaginative?

It isn't meant to be "good" in and of itself. IQ scores are merely intended to be means to other ends.[/quote

What I said above about the "true measure" of intelligence is an adaptation of Albert Einstein's quote: "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination". Without imagination, there is no inspiration for innovation. While there is no perfect test to accurately measure all forms of intelligence, there exists things that exist only by someone's innovation.

IQs are only a measure of mental potential, much like the amount of charge in a battery. However, if you never use your mental skills properly, you will lose them with time.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 5:08 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
What I said above about the "true measure" of intelligence is an adaptation of Albert Einstein's quote: "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination". Without imagination, there is no inspiration for innovation. While there is no perfect test to accurately measure all forms of intelligence, there exists things that exist only by someone's innovation.

IQs are only a measure of mental potential, much like the amount of charge in a battery. However, if you never use your mental skills properly, you will lose them with time.

Whatever your point is, I don't get it. The source of the concept of a "true measure" of intelligence has no bearing on the fact that there is no true measure of intelligence.

Awilder
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 4:40 pm

I'm going to keep this simplified at best when I was originally diagnosed as having AS my IQ was rated at between 82-89 but, I have innate knowledge of computers though not on a programming level as well, understand things that seem fairly complex therefore, numbers don't tell the whole story of a person's potential throughout life..

We are like the wind,
Wrapped, luminous wind,
We make a road for the spirits to pass over.
For the Spirits to pass over.

usaneanderthal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Mar 2015, 10:17 pm

==FALSE ==

their IQ is no higher than neurotypical.

different --yes --higher --NO.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 10:59 pm

IQ is simply inadequate and overrated. It does not fully measure intelligence, but what it does measure of intelligence is rather one directional. Even when you take an IQ test that breaks down different cognitive abilities into separate scores and the overall IQ, it still is somewhat one directional as the cognitive abilities are not being tested at any kind of practical level.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 11:03 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
IQ is simply inadequate and overrated. It does not fully measure intelligence, but what it does measure of intelligence is rather one directional.

IQ doesn't measure anything, but is itself a measurement.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 11:49 am

starkid wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:
IQ is simply inadequate and overrated. It does not fully measure intelligence, but what it does measure of intelligence is rather one directional.

IQ doesn't measure anything, but is itself a measurement.

Read some of Aristotle's work on measurement maybe?

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 2:18 pm

Protogenoi wrote:

Not without a reason to do so I won't.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 2:49 pm

starkid wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:

Not without a reason to do so I won't.

My point is that a measurement is a measure. The unit is known as a measure.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 7:42 pm

Another study to throw into the mix...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/health/news/a ... d=11415518

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 9:23 pm

B19 wrote:
Another study to throw into the mix...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/health/news/a ... d=11415518

That's interesting. It reminds me of my psychology lecture today...

jonnycorsair
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Mar 2015, 9:28 am

I have taken the one suggested early in this thread, the basic online ones and a Mensa one, I come out around the same on every one, and to me, they all seem to be based on the same type of very logical rationing so I really don't see there can much to be 'wrong' about the online free ones. The more questions they ask the more 'precise' the result can be. The tiredness/alertness and the interest in the quiz will vary, probably leading to variances in the result. But basically, they all use the same type of visual problem, requiring no previous knowledge (except possibly very basic knowledge of shapes).
Who has had professional IQ tests and feels they got a vastly different result from the 'free online type'?

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 6:27 pm

i had a different IQ test, my working memory, information processing and verbal I.Q was below average but my visual I.Q wa above, i dont know the exact numbers.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com