Simon Baron-Cohen: Aspergers Less Empathetic than Psycopaths

Page 5 of 7 [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

seanblack
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 May 2014, 7:34 am

nerds wrote:
I have lots of empathy but was said to have no empathy. I think a lot of times a claim is made and we can be forced into a label. I have heard the argument that an aspie is full of empathy but is so overwhelmed in information that they have difficulty expressing it and for others it becomes so painful they cut it off entirely-and I believe that argument is true. The other thing is, I think for those of use who have otherwise been punished by society we are able to sit back and observe human nature and instead of emoting as people want us to feel, we evaluate it and make our own determination about their sincerity and ambitions and thus form a resistance to manipulative people.

i agree with this 100%

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 6:20 pm

I thought I had affective empathy. But then, how would I know? I never knew I didn't have depth perception either until my optometrist told me. Perhaps what I feel is completely different. Perhaps I really do lack empathy: in which case I really shouldn't subject any normal people to the pain and frustration being around me must cause them. But I think if I ran away or killed myself that would hurt my family... but what do I know? I don't have empathy... not sure what I should do now...

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 6:38 pm

foodeater wrote:
( if you want to get into autistic people throughout history i'd put money on the religious folks: structured routine, lots of bowing, rocking, craft making, lots of time to yourself to think, but also a community experience, often a dress code too. haha. could be we are seeing "more" autistic people because there aren't as many places like that for them to go in western culture. i feel scientists are are much more likely to have more of the psychopathic traits put into (sometimes) positive use than autistic ones... ) :lol:

I once thought about being a nun, but the problem is that nuns aren't like that anymore!

weeOne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2014, 9:23 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
zero? Has he not heard it is a spectrum yet?(sarcasm)

Hypothesis: Simon and Sacha are really the same person, and this whole autism persona is a front for Sacha's idea of reality TV.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 9:23 am

So he never even actually said that? The media really have decided to go after us. We are the scapegoat du jour: call me paranoid, but it seems like someone made a conscious decision that it should be so.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 9:31 am

gonewild wrote:
By contrast, Baron-Cohen defines people with Asperger's syndrome or classic autism, which is his own field, as "zero-positive". Like the zero-negatives these people lack affective empathy, but in addition they score zero on "cognitive empathy" ? thinking others' thoughts.

Sounds right.

He defines his terms as:
cognitive empathy = identify another person's feelings
affective empathy = respond appropriately to another person's feelings

If 'theory of mind' impairs automatically identifying another person's feelings, then inherently one would have trouble responding to those non-identified feelings ?

b9
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 9:40 am

i do not have empathy. i can not understand how it feels for others.

Chama
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jun 2014, 3:11 pm

I've never met anyone in my life who could easily identify another person's feelings, and I have met A LOT of people.
What kind of criteria is this?

People misunderstand one another ALL THE TIME, as a result of incorrectly identifying someone's feelings, or not noticing the other person's feelings at all.

I've learned that trying to guess another person's feelings and reacting based upon that is almost always the wrong thing to do. I think most problems could be solved if people stopped thinking they were so freakin good at "mind reading" and instead actually asked others how they felt. This definition for empathy has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read.

--and if NT's are supposedly so great at all this, then why is it that I'm misunderstood at every turn? Despite some awkward body language, and lack of eye contact, shouldn't they be able to use this superpower-level empathy to figure out what autistics are feeling? It sounds fishy to me.

FelisIndagatricis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jun 2014, 2:51 pm

Nonperson wrote:
foodeater wrote:
( if you want to get into autistic people throughout history i'd put money on the religious folks: structured routine, lots of bowing, rocking, craft making, lots of time to yourself to think, but also a community experience, often a dress code too. haha. could be we are seeing "more" autistic people because there aren't as many places like that for them to go in western culture.

I once thought about being a nun, but the problem is that nuns aren't like that anymore!

I would have been a great anchoress in an earlier century! Just me, a cat, a bunch of books, and somebody to send meals to me.

weeOne wrote:
Hypothesis: Simon and Sacha are really the same person, and this whole autism persona is a front for Sacha's idea of reality TV.

The more I hear about Simon and his questionable hypotheses, the more I suspect this is true. :lol:

MalyndraCrow
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jul 2014, 3:35 pm

I'm having difficulty figuring out this whole affective epathy vs cognitive empathy thing, but one thing I can tell you is that I care about humanity, I care about others. You could say I care TOO much, to the point that at a certain threshold I have to shut down and isolate because I can't cope with the anxiety that results when it becomes obvious to me just how much others are suffering and I can't help.

My concern is that too many neurotypicals will interpret this man's writings as autistic people as having no morals, ethics, or remorse, and that we're worse than psychopaths. That seems to be the prevailing line of thinking in the media ever since Sandy Hook, and it's sickening.

MalyndraCrow
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jul 2014, 3:45 pm

seanblack wrote:
nerds wrote:
I have lots of empathy but was said to have no empathy. I think a lot of times a claim is made and we can be forced into a label. I have heard the argument that an aspie is full of empathy but is so overwhelmed in information that they have difficulty expressing it and for others it becomes so painful they cut it off entirely-and I believe that argument is true. The other thing is, I think for those of use who have otherwise been punished by society we are able to sit back and observe human nature and instead of emoting as people want us to feel, we evaluate it and make our own determination about their sincerity and ambitions and thus form a resistance to manipulative people.

i agree with this 100%

Actually yes this describes me to a T (whatever that's supposed to mean). Nowadays I try my best to sit back and be an observer and not be affected by the emotional manipulation of others, especially the media, politicians, *coughfacebookcough*, etc., but I do care about people in general, I watch from a disance BECAUSE I care. If I didn't care, I wouldn't even bother observing! So what if I've learned to compartmentalize my emotional responses to a certain extent when necessary and detach if needed; it's very much like building a fortress out of sand to protect against storm surge, eventually it will crumble, and I'll melt down, because I can't cope with the fact that I CARE.

You've hit he nail on the head so to speak, nerds.

Laddo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 9:07 am

Simon Baron-Cohen is talking out his arse and needs a slap

I am no longer using this account or this website. Do not bother contacting me because any messages will be ignored. The fact that you can't delete your profile while all your information is retained is also disgraceful.

djw2398

12 Jul 2014, 5:23 pm

In the future, hopefully the near, people will realize that Simon Baron-Cohen is a hack. Just like Sigmund Freud, who's theories have been mostly discarded by modern psychologists.

Awiddershinlife
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jul 2014, 4:37 pm

djw2398 wrote:
In the future, hopefully the near, people will realize that Simon Baron-Cohen is a hack. Just like Sigmund Freud, who's theories have been mostly discarded by modern psychologists.

In defense of SBC, he is just an NT.

NTs* are not able to empathize with autistics. This is an issue of researcher anosognosia. While many studies do not produce reliable data some research can, but I suspect it is invalid because 1. autism is so loosely defined by behavior and includes a variety of single gene "autism" that the subjects are not defined and 2. researchers don't understand that autistics think very differently than they do. This skews interpretation of the data as well.

I am speaking of NTs as a whole group, there are certainly individual exceptions. Hopefully, we all know exceptions...

drchcat85
Raven
Raven

20 Jul 2014, 5:19 pm

I think that NTs have lower empathy than Aspies ( :D ). The NTs are clinging to social rules, such gender stereotypes or hierarchies.
Aspies have too high affective empathy and they dont know how to cope with it.

drchcat85
Raven
Raven

20 Jul 2014, 5:23 pm

EQ do not show the real level of empathy. It is possible that show only the self image on the social domain.
Because the human behaviour is one of my special interests, I have scored 70 on EQ. And because I am a visual and not a logical-mathematical thinker (The world needs all kinds of minds - Temple Grandin, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKhg68QJlo0), I have scored only 17 on EQ. It results that I have an extreme female brain!

Myers Briggs type - INFP
My brother has classic autism; I am not native English speaker;
Autism spectrum is not disorder, is neurodiversity, talent and originality!