Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Schizpergers
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Mar 2014, 3:36 pm

I'm asking this because I've been told quite a bit that I am and am starting to wonder because it might explain some things to me.
I will mention reasons this has been brought up.

- I am often accused of having no feelings. Honestly I wonder if that is true. I do have certain emotions, but the way some people explain how they "feel" emotion, doesn't make sense to me. I do think emotions but I don't think I feel them.

- I have less understanding of emotion, even more than the average aspie seems to have. I do not understand why people are so emotional. I don't understand many emotions even when people try really hard to explain them. Some of them I don't seem to comprehend at all are shame, worry, empathy, romantic love, jealousy and a few others that seem to me to be unnecessary nonsense concepts for emotion. I also seem to be able to easily switch my emotions off and completely forget what they were like.
Even when I do feel, it is brief and shallow.

- I can become irritated by other peoples feelings. I have been trying to be more accepting of them but naturally I am insensitive towards peoples feelings because I have a hard time understanding why humans are emotionally vunerable.

- I don't understand why people have relationships. Romance seems like a waste of time. Why do so many people need someone else to be able to feel good.

- I'm a musician and regularly listen to my own music, more so than anything else.

- I do not understand why most people cannot think for themselves or why they obey authority. This seems to be a weakness in others that most people don't seem to acknowledge.

- I feed off of positive attention.

- I get irritated dealing with people who cannot make up their minds about something quickly. I have little patients.

- Most these things actually seem like positive traits to me, however I am still curious what others are thinking.

- I used to be more critical and intolerant of other peoples emotional weaknesses but I have been attempting to be more accepting.

- To me it seems that so many people are held back by emotion's, which are nothing more than chemical reactions in the brain, and by realizing that we should be able to disregard them and focus on more important things.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 3:50 pm

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder, as defined by the DSM-IV-TR, include:

Expects to be recognized as superior and special, without superior accomplishments
Expects constant attention, admiration and positive reinforcement from others
Envies others and believes others envy him/her
Is preoccupied with thoughts and fantasies of great success, enormous attractiveness, power, intelligence
Lacks the ability to empathize with the feelings or desires of others
Is arrogant in attitudes and behavior
Has expectations of special treatment that are unrealistic

If those traits describe you then you're narcissistic.

Schizpergers
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Mar 2014, 4:03 pm

The problem with that is it relies mostly on how others perceive me, which I am completely unsure of other than what they tell me.

I'm not so sure self diagnosis is so accurate because most people have poor insight into themselves.

I made this post because I was curious if what I listed are aspie traits, or maybe even completely normal traits common among people, or if these traits are related to something that I am not aware of.

Peoples comments often help me gain insight.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 5:23 pm

I sometimes wonder if I'm really an aspie because I am almost none of those things except maybe for the romance problem and lack of patience. The word narcissism tends to be overused, especially bey the media. After reading about the common traits of Narcissistic Personality Disorder I am pretty sure I don't have that at all. I'm kind of afraid to think too positively about myself or what I do. People say 'm too hard on myself, but I think bragging and feeling superior are incredibly wrong. When it comes to authority I'm a bit "chaotic good", but I'm more good than chaotic and show respect in general. Unless psychiatrists and people who work in mental health in general count as authority. I think emotions and feelings are important and that we need to have and express them and they're more important than anything. I am often too emphatic and can dwell for weeks or even months when I'm upset by something.

Erwin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Mar 2014, 5:35 am

redrobin62 wrote:
Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder, as defined by the DSM-IV-TR, include:

Expects to be recognized as superior and special, without superior accomplishments
Expects constant attention, admiration and positive reinforcement from others
Envies others and believes others envy him/her
Is preoccupied with thoughts and fantasies of great success, enormous attractiveness, power, intelligence
Lacks the ability to empathize with the feelings or desires of others
Is arrogant in attitudes and behavior
Has expectations of special treatment that are unrealistic

If those traits describe you then you're narcissistic.

Those traits describe me but the whole concept is false. There is no such thing. It happens for a reason. To a certain group of dem specials I believe. I turned out to be a member of the legendary dragon race for example so all this time I have had reason to feel like this. Don't know what that is? No wonder. There are a group of "special" people who achieve the strength levels regular humans achieve in years in about an hour and generally just master skills faster than humans. But this is all for a reason. Everyone feels right being themselves so no such thing as narcissistic people. If they're not what they think they are, it'll feel wrong.

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 10:57 am

Looks to me that you are.

- Edgar Allan Poe -