Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 6:12 am

Well I think that Salad is very brave to be embarking on a new journey of rediscovery.

Bon Voyage Salad!

I hope you find what you are looking for.

BoomJuggs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2014, 3:38 pm

Its sad that children get indoctrinated by religious dogma before they even have a chance to be able to critically analyze the information they are being given.

As they grow up they have been given core beliefs, that if they'd been able to think about it for themselves, would probably not be part of their psyche.

They even inject phobias, such as the devil and hell to scare people away from thinking in later life, and hence never leaving.

It is my understanding that the origins of the devil lie in the church literally trying to scare pagans away from their own spirituality and towards Christianity to bring them under their control, which us ultimately what Religion is about. This is why the devil is usually depicted as hybrids of pagan deities. Like his goat legs are actually from Pan.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 3:50 pm

It's not just kids but obviously they are the most vulnerable to it.

Bush became born again at 40 (but was probably raised in some vague tradition). Seventeen years later he's calling up the French President to encourage him to join the fight in Iraq by saying, "Gog and Magog are at work in the Middle East" and talking about destroying the enemies of god to prepare for the kingdom. The French President had to call up a university professor to understand what Bush was talking about. So adult converts can buy into it pretty deeply themselves.

I think Bush thought he was calling Medieval France.

BoomJuggs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Mar 2014, 2:34 am

simon_says wrote:

Bush became born again at 40 (but was probably raised in some vague tradition). Seventeen years later he's calling up the French President to encourage him to join the fight in Iraq by saying, "Gog and Magog are at work in the Middle East" and talking about destroying the enemies of god to prepare for the kingdom. The French President had to call up a university professor to understand what Bush was talking about. So adult converts can buy into it pretty deeply themselves.

When I actually thought about what you have written, that's actually pretty terrifying. Someone madder than a sack full of angry badgers with that much power.

Surely he would have had to have been badly abused in childhood to wind up being susceptible to such nonsense.

Being so dumb you would lose a game of scrabble to a squirrel, doesn't help either.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 8:36 am

BoomJuggs wrote:
simon_says wrote:

When I actually thought about what you have written, that's actually pretty terrifying. Someone madder than a sack full of angry badgers with that much power.

Surely he would have had to have been badly abused in childhood to wind up being susceptible to such nonsense.

Being so dumb you would lose a game of scrabble to a squirrel, doesn't help either.

What is more disturbing is that both Reagan and Bush Sr were deeply rooted in their belief that Christ would return during their lifetimes. Personally, I prefer a leader who is actually concerned about the future state of affairs on this planet rather than the Apocalypse.

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

13 Mar 2014, 3:05 pm

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 3:14 pm

LKL wrote:
Also study other religions (Shintoism, Buddhism, Jainism, Islam, Hinduism, etc). And read the Bible. The latter sounds unhelpful, but when you get down into it and try to read it from cover to cover, at some point you just have to start laughing.

That bit made me laugh :-)

I have read large parts of the bible and it does tend to make you laugh in parts, while at most other parts you are just scratching your head.