Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

inachildsmind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Mar 2014, 6:42 am

I got Disability on my own, so when I applied for the SSI they lost my paper. I had the copy sheet of it and brought it in 4 months later and they denied it (even though it was their fault for losing it). I received SSDI but because the paper was not processed I miss out on my back pay! I wish at that moment I had an attorney because we waited six months for my SSDI to kick in and in the mean time, we were hurting bad. So I don"t know what its like to get back pay.

I know I have a limit to what I can spend on a house or car and that limit wont buy me either. I want to say I can not own more than 5,000 in assets.

We were hoping to pay off a credit card with it and some major bills. Then we were going to use the rest for a vacation. I know I would not have regret it if I got it. I am hoping I can do the process over again when I get re evaluated and try to get the SSI. I do not know how that works though.

I am not ashamed of getting SSDI. I have worked many years and struggled many years. My SSDI is used to pay bills as my Husbands work checks are used for pleasure. I have held off for many years with multiple breakdowns on getting Disability and now that I have it there is less stress in my life and I am able to be the mom I wanted to be. So I would never be ashamed of something that has helped me be who I want to be.

I forgot the rest of what you said and asked.

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 5:59 pm

I am not going to answer most of the question, but here is what I have to say.
It is a very poor chance that you will receive back pay. My dad who has physical pain worse than anyone on this forum. He has 2 bad knees, bad right elbow, only 4 good disks in his entire spine. He applied 3 years before he got S.S.. THEY HAD DENIED HIM! My parents still have credit card debt 10 years later. They refused back pay. They even tried fighting in court. All failed. :evil:

My poor dad has been moaning in pain for 12 years. :cry: