Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 12:36 pm

Hi all,

Found this web page on my smart phone some time ago and meant to post it, concerning Vincent Van Gogh and Synthesia

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/tas ... synesthete

Supposedly people on the spectrum sometimes have this. I don't, but it sure sounds cool.

Somewhere here posted something like that .. I would have to search to find it.

If I drink too much alcohol my ears ring, but I ... don't ... think ... that ... is ... quite ... the ... same. :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 1:05 pm

gee, I wonder what chartreuse tastes like? or what periwinkle and orange sound like? I wonder what a low C on a pipe organ looks like? I am not sure if this qualifies as synesthesia but ever since I was a little boy I always "saw" faces of people in the analog clock face, depending upon the juxtaposition of the hour and minute hands. :scratch:

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 4:13 pm

When I have a migraine bright lights cause a metallic taste in my mouth.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Mar 2014, 4:18 pm

I taste colors. The effect was much more vivid when I was younger, but it still happens. When I was in middle school, a particular color actually made me nauseous from the "taste." That particular color is not quite so popular these days, thankfully.

I also see music. Human voices tend to have textures or sensations like say stretchy rubber, stone, wood, water, razor blades, etc.

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 4:25 pm

I have a few types of synesthesia, but nothing to do with taste.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 11:15 pm

Fascinating you should post this; I had moments before been searching for a synesthesia forum to explore, but they're all dead and have one or two posts from years ago. I have grapheme-colour synesthesia, and all my letters, numbers, words and shapes have distinct individual colours. I'm envious of those who have sound-colour synesthesia, it sounds really pretty, and it would probably make me enjoy classical and other non-lyrical music more.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 11:56 pm

I'm colors and numbers/names/letters myself

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 12:25 am

1. Grapheme-color
2. Object personification
3. Ordinal linguistic personification (or grapheme personification)

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

12 Mar 2014, 12:39 am

Oh yeah, I have numbers -> gender, but I barely think about it. It was a big help in learning how to do mental arithmetic, though.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 5:22 pm

auntblabby wrote:
gee, I wonder what chartreuse tastes like? or what periwinkle and orange sound like? I wonder what a low C on a pipe organ looks like? I am not sure if this qualifies as synesthesia but ever since I was a little boy I always "saw" faces of people in the analog clock face, depending upon the juxtaposition of the hour and minute hands. :scratch:
I bet it's a version of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia
That's an article on how people recognize images in random data. We're hard-wired to recognize and focus on faces; so when you see something vaguely face-like in an analog clock, you associate it with a face.

Besides, you can't be the only one who does this:
Disney's Cogsworth, Beauty and the Beast.

Synesthetic experiences are different from person to person; there's no way to tell what one person's chartreuse tastes like from having another person tell you about theirs. It seems to be personal. Maybe there are trends, though, especially with numbers; synesthesia starts awfully early in life, and we are probably born knowing the difference between "few" and "many", but I don't think we have a concept of things like "seven" versus "eight" until we're toddlers. That's enough time for some culture to have trickled into our baby brains. :)

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 5:35 pm

it would be fun to trade bodies with a synesthete for a bit.