Does anyone in your real life know about wp?

Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 1:27 pm

I hope not. I like to keep personal things personal.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 1:30 pm

I have told my mum that I go on a site for people like me to talk about their feelings and problems and so on. But I haven't gone into detail or showed her, because....I don't know why really. I don't want her to think I research and talk about Autism this much, as all my life I have been so upset about being on the Autistic spectrum, and I still am.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 1:36 pm

I don't know.

If they do, they've never said.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 3:47 am

em_tsuj wrote:
I hope not. I like to keep personal things personal.

This.

Only my immediate family knows I am autistic. They know a a decent amount about the support groups I attend. I have only mentioned briefly I go on autistic internet forums but have not named Wrong Planet and I doubt I will. My discussions of my autism with my family is not dishonest and not dissimilar in topicality to what I discuss here. But with them is not detailed, the information is dispensed gradually and it is filtered to reflect their neurotypicality and their individual personalities. My posts here are raw, they come from deep inside me. It would disturb people to see them. A good example is what happened today. My brother was part of a intervention that got me the diagnosis and is totally pleased with the positive effects it has had on my life. Today I told him about the words aspie and neurotypical he said "you joined a cult?". It was said in a joking manner but it reminded me to be careful.

If somebody said to me I think I have Aspergers I would discuss it further and only if I think their is some merit their claim would I direct them here.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 16 Mar 2014, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 5:42 am

My dad spent a lot of time on internet forums and was even a moderator in one.
So he knows I belong to this forum and a couple of others and how they operate and so on.
Sometimes I'll ask his advice or ask him to look at a strange post or PM to get his interpretation.
So he doesn't like look over my shoulder and monitor what I post; he respects my privacy.
But at the same time he knows all about it and gives me "pro tips".
And my friend and my cousin know about it too, but have never been very interested.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 7:35 am

one very good friend of mine - she has a young AS daughter

and my fiance

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 8:07 am

my mother, who is also my best friend. maybe my occupational therapist..she cares a lot for me.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 11:08 am

Just my wife, my kids and my therapist.

My wife and kids see me glued to the computer all the time, with the very recognizable WP forum layout. They tell me, “are you on WP again?”.

When I told my therapist about WP, she immediately thought that I have established real relationships with others on WP. When the reality is, I simply share my thoughts for the day and learn about others, who are in a similar situation.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2015, 6:00 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
No, my internet life is quite separate from my life.

Same as above, I too do keep my internet social life separate.

My brother is also autistic and although a gadget geek, he doesn't use forums but only he knows about wp
I come on here sometimes to contribute to the forum posts but not a regular user.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2015, 6:26 pm

I don't think anyone would be interested. I talk about WP occasionally to my therapist like if I can't explain something or he doesn't understand me. And once in awhile mention a social website I like to someone. Otherwise, no.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Jun 2015, 6:40 pm

Only my girlfriend & ex girlfriend knew & I had met them both on here.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2015, 9:19 pm

A very few know I go on forums but I never tell the name. I give enough information that a determined person who knows me could figure out it's me. I don't want people to see the stuff I post in Adult sections. And the the stuff I post and most of you post is personal and won't be understood or would be misunderstood or only partially understood by most allistics. A rare time I mentioned topics here I told my sister and brother in law about bleech enemas given to autistics and the large percentages of people on the forum who have experienced professionals who have dated ideas about autism. I was completly not believed, they thought I was so naive believing everything I read on the internet. When I pointed the "reliable" news sources and peer reviewed papers linked they were fooled by the internet trolls also. I have been on the net for almost 20 years, I won't say I will never be fooled but I have a pretty good idea what is gossip and what is reliable.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2015, 9:22 pm

No.

My internet is mine, and mine alone.

That being said, I don't use any kind of encryption on my connection, so if my parents really want to know what I do they can simply monitor me through the router. I don't think they actually do this, though.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2015, 10:23 pm

Absolutely not. I have said so much on WP that I never tell anyone IRL. WP is a safe place for me where I can be real me.

I even try to hide my mobile screen when I'm on WP on my mobile at work etc. If any of the gossipy people at work finds out I'm on an online forum, it may even go out of its way to find out what my username is and try to read everything I've posted so that it can spread more gossip. I know some of them are that bad.

Just in case something like that happens, I've never explicitly revealed my age, country of birth etc on WP, which could lead to me being identified by someone IRL. I may sound paranoid but once you reveal something on the Internet, it could be very hard to "unreveal" it.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2015, 2:34 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
"you joined a cult?"

To be serious there definitely are some people here who treat it like a cult. There are no doubt ASD vs NT and/or ND vs NT posts on this site (though I never have seen too many ND vs ASD ones, they're more like "are we viewed the same by NTs" and it goes back to NT hating). Some people are so hostile to NTs. And there are some who view ASDs as the master race.

Back to the topic, I've never told anyone. The details of what I do online I want to keep secret. I never link online profiles either. Each one is separate.

And I am pretty paranoid. Not about my parents or anyone I know but the mental health services. I am scared that they're following me online. They asked me what I do and what sites I go on and I didn't want to say so what if they forcibly try to find out? How much power do they really have? There is no doubt governments are tracking what people do online but as I do nothing suspicious that doesn't scare me. They don't have the time to read every post, they'll just focus on people of interest or those using proxies to see what they're trying to hide. But because I am now known to them the mental health services might have interest in stalking me. Or maybe I'm being too paranoid. :?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2015, 2:40 am

I can't keep track. I know one important person does, for which I'm thankful, though it may be some time before any of us know what we need to ask in order to understand my life; myself included.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: