Page 4 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 9:54 am

Don_Pedro_Zamacona wrote:
Appropriation is not a crime, nor is it "racist". And yet at the same time, it's really pathetic. I say this because appropriating another culture is the most tactless form of pretense(which is the act of pretending to be something you're not). Using PC terminology is an intellectually lazy way to criticize it. Don't chastise people for it, mock them instead! :P

What cracks me up about white liberal belly dancers is how they have not only appropriated an art form from another culture, but have invented this stupid feminist mythology surrounding it: They think they're reclaiming something which was never theirs to begin with. That's why they insist falsely that belly dancing "is not a dance of seduction" when of all the traditional forms of dance out there it is by far the most overtly sexual. They often peform exclusively with and in front of other women ostensibly for female solidarity, but I think they just wanna flaunt how much sexier they are than their female audience members. LOL

So you're saying that western women take up bellydancing for the same reason that guys play softball, or that any human being does ANY thing-which is vanity.

What shocking news! Lets stop the presses!

LADIES!

If you take up bellydancing: it will cause you to join the human race! HOW HORRIFYING!

Don_Pedro_Zamacona
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2014, 10:10 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Appropriation is not a crime, nor is it "racist". And yet at the same time, it's really pathetic. I say this because appropriating another culture is the most tactless form of pretense(which is the act of pretending to be something you're not). Using PC terminology is an intellectually lazy way to criticize it. Don't chastise people for it, mock them instead! :P

What cracks me up about white liberal belly dancers is how they have not only appropriated an art form from another culture, but have invented this stupid feminist mythology surrounding it: They think they're reclaiming something which was never theirs to begin with. That's why they insist falsely that belly dancing "is not a dance of seduction" when of all the traditional forms of dance out there it is by far the most overtly sexual. They often peform exclusively with and in front of other women ostensibly for female solidarity, but I think they just wanna flaunt how much sexier they are than their female audience members. LOL

So you're saying that western women take up bellydancing for the same reason that guys play softball, or that any human being does ANY thing-which is vanity.

LADIES!

If you take up bellydancing: it will cause you to join the human race! HOW HORRIFYING!

Actually NO. Read what I posted as opposed to spitting out a kneejerk reply. And FYI, most guys take up baseball as softball is mostly played by women. Teams sports are international and many association football teams have players of a different nationality than flag the national team plays under.

Dancing, partcularly belly dancing, is done for a very different purpose than sports and many dances performed by women most certainly are an expression of vanity. What I'm saying is that white liberal feminists who take up belly dancing are determined to make it into something much more than it really is and invented a MYTHOS about it that has no basis in reality. Hope that helps, sparky.

bleh12345
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 6:57 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

LADIES!

Actually NO. Read what I posted as opposed to spitting out a kneejerk reply. And FYI, most guys take up baseball as softball is mostly played by women. Teams sports are international and many association football teams have players of a different nationality than flag the national team plays under.

Dancing, partcularly belly dancing, is done for a very different purpose than sports and many dances performed by women most certainly are an expression of vanity. What I'm saying is that white liberal feminists who take up belly dancing are determined to make it into something much more than it really is and invented a MYTHOS about it that has no basis in reality. Hope that helps, sparky.

It's kind of like when a white person wears braids that are usually only popular among non-whites and used to be thought of as an unprofessional hairstyle. It might not be the white person doing this, but sometimes magazines look at a picture of a white person doing it and say "Wow! This person looks great!", conveniently ignoring all of the non-white people who have done those hairstyles for decades (even hundreds and THOUSANDS of years). In other words, it only becomes news when a white (or person who can appear white) does it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 8:03 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

LADIES!

So...
men (and women) play sports -the purpose of which is to beat your opponet-the purpose of which is to inflate your own ego (or your team, city, or nations ego)at your opponets expense-which is a form of vanity.Take away vanity- there would be no sports. As opposed to women who take up bellydancing - which also a form of vanity. And they do in immitation of nonwestern women who also do it for vanity. And the 'mythos' is that 'we can do it for vanity to' which IS reality. But you have a problem with it.

So...what exactly is the problem?

And what does the nationality of baseball players have to do with anything?
Many men do play softball, but whether they do or not..what does that have to do with anything?

But seriously...how is sports NOT about vanity?