Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 12:17 pm

How do you know if you have low muscle tone?

I have never been able to build muscle very much at all. I took weight training for one semester while I was in high school, and I did build some muscle, but I made very slow progress. It took me a few months just to be able to bench press the bar by itself.

I have bad posture, partly because I have scoliosis and my neck is way out of alignment, but I also feel like I just don't have enough energy to hold myself up properly. I get tired very easily.

I read that reflux can be caused by low muscle tone(?) because the stomach flap won't stay down. I've had an unexplained reflux problem for years. Food just rolls back up my throat with no warning. I was checked out when I was 16 to see if I had a hernia and they didn't find anything.

I have trouble gripping things, I grip things so hard that the skin tears over my knuckles.

It is so depressing to me that I can't use my body properly. I am scared to do things I used to do because I have overexerted and/or injured myself so many times.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 12:28 pm

dianthus wrote:

I have never been able to build muscle very much at all. I took weight training for one semester while I was in high school, and I did build some muscle, but I made very slow progress. It took me a few months just to be able to bench press the bar by itself.

I have bad posture, partly because I have scoliosis and my neck is way out of alignment, but I also feel like I just don't have enough energy to hold myself up properly. I get tired very easily.

I read that reflux can be caused by low muscle tone(?) because the stomach flap won't stay down. I've had an unexplained reflux problem for years. Food just rolls back up my throat with no warning. I was checked out when I was 16 to see if I had a hernia and they didn't find anything.

I have trouble gripping things, I grip things so hard that the skin tears over my knuckles.

It is so depressing to me that I can't use my body properly. I am scared to do things I used to do because I have overexerted and/or injured myself so many times.

I'm almost exactly the same as you, with the exception that I don't have extreme trouble gripping things. I have never been able to build much muscle nor easily, I have bad posture also partly due to scoliosis and my neck being badly aligned, and I get tired very easily. Postural issues cause seating and fidgeting problems for me as I'm almost always uncomfortable - I tend to cross my legs like a female when I sit on a chair. I also have had unexplainable reflux problems the past few years, and I'm only 18 (almost 19) where related issues are supposedly uncommon.

I'm not scared to do things, but I just don't do them. I've always been weak and uncoordinated. The only times I ever appeared coordinated were due to luck and I could feel that it was luck. I'm not only below average in almost all sports, but I suck at games like billiards too. My coordination doesn't seem to be as bad as others though, as in general I'm not too clumsy and quite careful when I walk.

I have no idea if I have low muscle tone nor if it's similar to what you have. The main thing that turned me off the low muscle tone idea was that most individuals with it are flexible, and I'm very rigid.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 1:11 pm

Yeah I am not flexible at all. And I'm very uncomfortable sitting also but that might be because I've had so many back injuries due to being weak and having grip problems. I can't really sit comfortably unless I pull my feet up in the chair.

When I was 5 I was climbing a metal tower on the playground at school and suddenly lost my grip and landed flat on my ass. It must have cracked my tailbone because I was in a lot of pain.

I had a major lower back injury when I was 24, I was in very severe pain and stuck in a bent over position. Since then it has reoccurred several times. I was not always scared to do things, quite the opposite, I did things I had no business doing because I didn't know my own limits. But now after years of really painful injuries I am scared to do the things I used to do.

I was never good at any sports either. I was always the last person to finish running (if you could call it running) around the track.

tchek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Mar 2014, 3:59 pm

dianthus wrote:

I've got all of this.

Do you slouch when you walk? I've a hard time standing straight. Never could ride a bike or swim.

I toe walk. It's due to the fact I slouch so much that my center of gravity is too forward. The focus should be on the heels not on the toes. I always need to think about aligning my shoulders with my head and knees, but when I forget about it I slouch again.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 4:34 pm

I've always had low muscle tone, and I know this because I just know. Building muscle is very difficult for me.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 6:37 pm

tchek wrote:
Do you slouch when you walk?

Kind of. Not a lot but my shoulders slump over and my head is way off center because my neck comes forward and to the side.

I never really know what to do with my shoulders, they are crooked and they just don't have a natural resting spot, especially my right one. Sometimes I notice I'm holding my shoulders up, kind of like I got stuck in the middle of a shrug, but they are still rounded over even when I hold them up like that. My back curves to the right, so my right shoulder is lower and my right ribcage comes down lower than my left.

I tend to walk and stand on the outside edges of my feet. When I can walk fast I do okay but when I have to walk more slowly or turn or stand I start to get wobbly and can lose my balance very easily. I'm just slightly knock-kneed. My right leg feels like it is twisted.

I notice I'm walking more and more like my grandmother did. On her side of the family, there's a tendency to have one leg longer than the other. My right leg seems to be just a bit shorter than my left but it could be hip misalignment.

My mom has about the same crooked curve in her back that I have, and I think my dad does too. I have a place along the curve of my back where my muscles stay really hard and knotted, and my dad has the same thing. I feel like the muscles along the right side of my back, my right leg and foot all twist in the wrong directions.

I remember when I was in about the 3rd grade they checked everyone at school for scoliosis and my mom was sure they would flag me because of my crooked shoulders, but they didn't. I don't know how they missed it. I was never sure until I saw my x-rays at the chiropractor and on an x-ray you can't miss it, especially the way my neck juts forward. That was surprising but explained why it is so tiring to hold my head up.

I can swim a little bit but can't stand to put my head under water. I did learn to ride a bike but it took me about 3 years and I never enjoyed it. I get out of breath if I ride a bike or run, or really lately if I just walk uphill a little bit. A nurse told me I probably have mild asthma but I'm not sure, I think it might be something else. I have very low blood pressure, and a heart murmur.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 7:31 pm

I did have low muscle tone as a baby.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 12:27 am

Not the eating issues I think, most of the rest of the first two posters experience though. I have been told I need to go the gym and am quite often compared to some weak stereotypical girl by many people who I am apparently support to strive to not be like, the thing is I am fairly active already and do a decent amount of physical work in a day, told I look tired when I am not really.

Some issues sound more symptoms of Dyspraxia and those are common with Asperger's.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 1:17 am

I have very good muscle tone because I have my dad's muscular build. But to make up for that I'm also 4'11" haha

StuffedMarshmallow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Mar 2014, 4:00 am

I tried working out once or twice.
Then I quit and learned Photoshop.
One of the best decisions of my life.
Because the reality is, I want muscle so people can see it, not so I can be healthy.
I can just post the fake pics on Facebook and it gets people to treat me better for a while.
God bless Adobe!

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 4:09 am

i have no muscle tone either, i cannot get the physical muscular display...
however, i do have quite a bit of strength, in gripping, lifting, carrying and pushing...
this surprises even people that have known me for some time; i am significantly stronger then i look

opal
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 4:16 am

I have low muscle tone, I'm also unco-ordinated. Both have got a bit better with age and exercise, but I still have really bad posture.

I remember in my teens I had a photo taken of me , my cousins and my brothers sitting on a couch. That photo was brought up years and years later to demonstrate how "fat" I was. I wasn't fat - it was just my thighs had no muscle tone - so instead of being cylindrical like everyone elses they were flattened to basicly not much higher than my femur and therefore my legs looked so much wider. :evil: