Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2014, 3:40 pm

hurtloam wrote:
I've got to agree with Smudge, the women advocating no bra must not have D cups. It's annoying not wearing a bra when you're larger sized.

The more expensive the bra the better the fit usually. Don't buy bras from Wallmart, go to a shop that offers measuring and get one that fits. It's worth the money.

great advise - unless you can't even afford groceries, my clothes all come from Thrift stores, not spending a fortune that I flat out don't have and starve just to satisfy people about what I wear

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Mar 2014, 12:16 pm

i have always been pretty chesty and i think it has contributed to my back problems and poor posture. and finding bras that fit is such an ordeal. i also HAVE to have cotton and cannot stand to wear an underwire, which makes for slim pickin's. i absolute hate wearing them but am not comfortable with the girls flopping around, either. i probably should go get professional fitted, but it's so damn expensive and i haven't been able to justify (or afford, for that matter) the expense let alone the "good" bras.

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 3:21 pm

The weight unsupported gives me extreme and severe sensory issues when I'm not wearing a bra. I'm a 28 inch rib cage/band size, but a C cup if I have to buy a 32 band size, which is often all I can find. But then I have to shorten the band to get a 28" fit for my ribs. In truth I'm a 28 F. But wear 32 C. Which isn't tiny as a cup size and isn't huge either, but I have dense breast tissue and a C (or F given my real band size) is large enough for me to feel that these puppies are HEAVY.

I feel like screaming in discomfort when I'm not wearing a bra for more than a short while. I feel safe, comfortable and happy when I'm wearing a correctly fitting bra. It's one of my biggest sensory issues by a long, long way. Pretty much top of the list.

So the people here advocating getting rid of them for the "natural state" -- fck off. Allow other women to know what their sensory issues are. The worst and most distracting feeling in the world for me is to be bra-less or wearing one with a band size that's too loose.

So please shut the hell up telling we who prefer to wear one what to feel.

Last edited by BirdInFlight on 29 Mar 2014, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

alannanicole
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Mar 2014, 9:24 am

For a good fitting not overly expensive outlet to buy a properly fitted bra in basically any size up to a K cup in any band from 28-44. Try POSH intimates. I as a Trans girl have 36D chest and. Can maybe go a lazy day bra less but any little sort of activity is uncomfortable without support. As a society we are becoming larger. So. Arguments of we didn't need bras or support to survive is BS and irrelviemt You try carrying around 8-10 lbs of tissue once it gets moving. It's a huge amount of force that for some causes huge amounts of pain. You people with the Victoria secret little bitty titties under a C cup have zero room to even discuss the subject of going braless With someone Who is a good 4-5 sizes larger than you. And for the record. A proper band size is what your rib cage measures. Do not add inches. Adding inches makes for improper fit and serious lack of support..

Gizalba
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Mar 2014, 1:04 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
The weight unsupported gives me extreme and severe sensory issues when I'm not wearing a bra. I'm a 28 inch rib cage/band size, but a C cup if I have to buy a 32 band size, which is often all I can find. But then I have to shorten the band to get a 28" fit for my ribs. In truth I'm a 28 F. But wear 32 C. Which isn't tiny as a cup size and isn't huge either, but I have dense breast tissue and a C (or F given my real band size) is large enough for me to feel that these puppies are HEAVY.

I feel like screaming in discomfort when I'm not wearing a bra for more than a short while. I feel safe, comfortable and happy when I'm wearing a correctly fitting bra. It's one of my biggest sensory issues by a long, long way. Pretty much top of the list.

So the people here advocating getting rid of them for the "natural state" -- fck off. Allow other women to know what their sensory issues are. The worst and most distracting feeling in the world for me is to be bra-less or wearing one with a band size that's too loose.

Thanks for this post :P With the 'go natural' comments I was starting to feel bad for the fact I feel such unbearable discomfort if I don't wear a good fitting bra or try to take it off for long. Even getting in the shower or bath I cringe, wanting to get it back on as soon as possible, and when I've tried to take it off off during sex I've cried as the feeling is so horrible then I'm completely turned off. Luckily my boyfriend is very supportive of my sensory issues and if wearing a bra during sex makes me happy, he'd rather I just be happy.

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 12:36 pm

Gizalba wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:

Thanks for this post :P With the 'go natural' comments I was starting to feel bad for the fact I feel such unbearable discomfort if I don't wear a good fitting bra or try to take it off for long. Even getting in the shower or bath I cringe, wanting to get it back on as soon as possible, and when I've tried to take it off off during sex I've cried as the feeling is so horrible then I'm completely turned off. Luckily my boyfriend is very supportive of my sensory issues and if wearing a bra during sex makes me happy, he'd rather I just be happy.

If you want to wear a bra, that is your right. I was presenting science related to bras and their potential risks, which is not being looked into properly. It was not my purpose to make any of you feel bad about wearing a bra if you must. I did say in my earlier post, "use it like men use a jock strap". I have my own sensory issues that effect what I wear as well. But if someone told me a particular garment I like to wear posed an unknown to me health risk, I'd be interested in knowing about it.

My incorrectly interperated Aspie desire here was to be sure you know that there is scientific evidence about risks which are being concealed for reasons to do with money. The thread is titled "problems with bras" - right? I was bringing up a very not well known fact about the things.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 11:07 pm

alannanicole wrote:
And for the record. A proper band size is what your rib cage measures. Do not add inches. Adding inches makes for improper fit and serious lack of support..

In the USA, standard bra sizes are the measurement right under your breast plus 4 inches if even, or plus 5 inches if it is odd. The is apparently not true in all countries.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 6:33 pm

Screw you guys - I'm a 34FF and I can't function without a bra. All that stuff about bras causing breast cancer is a load of s**t. What evidence that doesn't come from a conspiracy website proves this?

Seriously, do you even understand what a bra is? What it's for? If I don't wear a bra, it causes me great discomfort and pain. They were invented by a woman as well! The first modern bra was patented by Christine Hardt in 1889. If men are trying to opress us with bras, then why do dudes wanna take them off us? Oh, snap!

But seriously, the forum has gone to crazy town.

gdgt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Apr 2014, 9:33 pm

I am a DD and I rarely wear a bra! (I'm also 5'2 and 100 pounds, so maybe a bit large for my frame.) Proof that you don't have to be small-chested to go braless! I do doubt the whole cancer bit, bras cause cancer probably about as much a using a cell phone or breathing... actually, probably much less than using a cell phone. Anyway, I found that if I want a tolerable bra I have to go be fitted and pay a bit more. I'm poor, it sucks, and it's why I only own two bras. I have much better luck layering clothes with a tight camisole underneath, sometimes with a band or some padding of some kind. It's more comfortable, and it holds them in place enough that they don't get in the way.

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 12:26 am

nebrets wrote:
alannanicole wrote:
And for the record. A proper band size is what your rib cage measures. Do not add inches. Adding inches makes for improper fit and serious lack of support..

In the USA, standard bra sizes are the measurement right under your breast plus 4 inches if even, or plus 5 inches if it is odd. The is apparently not true in all countries.

The measuring techniques in the US are outdated. Bra bands are not 4 inches smaller in the US. Theoretically, they should be the same, but I find that US bras are actually *looser* due to poor quality materials. I think a lot of people who don't like bras because they are uncomfortable might like bras more if they could find a better fit. Not all, obviously, but probably more than one would think.

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 2:48 am

[quote="Opi i probably should go get professional fitted, but it's so damn expensive and i haven't been able to justify (or afford, for that matter) the expense let alone the "good" bras.[/quote]

Where would you need to go and get professionally fit that costs money? My sister was a store manager at Frederick's of Hollywood, and she used to size women all the time (a few men too, but that's for another forum). Any high-end department store should have someone trained to size. I went to Macy's. I'm in Texas, though; your area may be different.

All that being said, I'm inclined to agree with one of the posters who said that American sizing standards aren't accurate. When I was sized, it came out to something like 44F or something (I'm a big girl, but not THAT big). But a 44D fits me well. The standards may not take into consideration women who may have a larger or smaller than average bone structure, and likely a larger/smaller ribcage.

I hate wearing bras with a passion, but because of my size I can't really go without in public, especially now that I'm older and have gone a little saggy. And unlike most of the ladies here, I MUCH prefer underwire. I've tried to wear bras without wires, and my boobs spread out and go all flat. I need the wires on the sides especially to hold things together.

Go as far as you can see. When you get there, you will see farther.

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 May 2014, 7:21 am

I only use sport bras. They are comfortable.

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 11:00 am

pinkgurl87 wrote:
Gosh I hate bras, people comment I don't wear the right bra. But I go for comfort, I hate wires. My boobs are huge I wish I could have breast reduction :(

Have you consulted a physician about it ? You might qualify for reduction under certain circumstances.

sueinphilly
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 May 2014, 11:22 am

I just found Hanes ComfortFlex Fit® bras at target

NO UNDERWIRE. I like them!

I have also worn the Genie bra, but I think I like the Hanes bras better

I had a breast augmentation 4 years ago (at age 49). Now I have boobs for the first time in my life!
I had a hysterectomy the same year.

the boobs were a present to myself so I could feel like a woman.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2014, 6:56 am

GivePeaceAChance wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
I've got to agree with Smudge, the women advocating no bra must not have D cups. It's annoying not wearing a bra when you're larger sized.

The more expensive the bra the better the fit usually. Don't buy bras from Wallmart, go to a shop that offers measuring and get one that fits. It's worth the money.

great advise - unless you can't even afford groceries, my clothes all come from Thrift stores, not spending a fortune that I flat out don't have and starve just to satisfy people about what I wear

I sympathise, I buy bras from Wallmart. They are so uncomfortable, but that's all I can afford. But that's how I know that cheap bras are not as good quality as properly fitted bras from department stores (which I only own one of). My advice is correct.

Plus it's not about satisfying other people, it's about wearing an item of clothing that fits you comfortably.

Thanks for trying to bring me down a peg or two, but no I actually don't have money and you are not educating me with your inverted snobbery.

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 12:12 am

Have you tried making your own bras ? There are patterns you can buy for your size, and, if you have some basic sewing skills, you can make your own.

Just a suggestion. A bad bra is ver uncomfortable, especially if you are larger sized.