Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

sunset
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Feb 2007, 5:32 pm

Did, or does anyone hear experience night terrors? My son (10yr) has experience these on/off for the last few years obviously its not just as aspie thing but im intrigued & what people thoughts. My hubby hates it when he gets them cause he never knows just how to deal with it as they are always so different, sometimes he walks and talks as if its noon and carries on casually, other time its screams of something about his body, third eye in his forehead or something out of hammer house of horrors :) or more so just of late, something particular i.e he needs to check that his brother is ok, or his dog, or his duvet, or something on tv. I can handle all of this, just be nice to hear of other parents/aspies that had the same. By the way 50/50 chance of him either remembering nothing, or a vague something the next morning when i ask him.

Mom2D
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Feb 2007, 6:24 pm

My son used to have very bad night terrors when he was around 1 to 3 years old. He would scream & scream uncontrollably for about an hour. Trying to comfort him just seemed to make it worse. When he woke up in the morning he never had any memory of it happening. Fortunately, he seems to have outgrown them. He hasn't had one for over a year now.

hexel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Feb 2007, 6:28 pm

I myself have never experienced any night terrors personally, but we went through this with our son for a couple of years when he was smaller. He's six now, and hasn't had it happen since he was about four. He's never been a good sleeper, and would wake up just plain screaming before he could talk well. As he learned to talk, he'd cry and scream about all kinds of random things. We never were able to calm him down or wake him up; each episode would just run it's course with us sitting helplessly by. There were nights when he'd scream for a good hour. And like your son, most of the time he'd wake up the next morning perfectly happy and unaware that anything had happend. We also went through a period where he would cry and be incoherant every time he woke up from a nap. He was aware of being awake, but he would still talk incoherantly about the things he must have been dreaming about. It was almost like he was in some kind of limbo... I would sit and hold him while he just cried it out and worked himself back into our world.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 7:17 pm

My oldest son has autism and we went through a phase of night terrors for almost a year around age 4 but they seemed to have passed, it wasn't easy. Just went in and tried to calm him and get back to sleep.

sunset
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Feb 2007, 4:28 pm

thanks to all that replied nice to know sometimes that others have experience of this, and gettin my hubby to understand that we arent the only parents going through this.

ta

mumof1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Feb 2007, 4:45 pm

Our daughter, who's 6, has had night terrors for about 3 years. They were a nightly event, usually about 2 hours after she went to sleep and like the others have said, she was just inconsolable but always had no recollection in the morning.
She still has them about once a month or so but I found they improved enormously (from every night to once a month) when we eliminated artificial colours, flavours, msg (and other flavour enhancers) and artifical preservatives. Now when she has them I can usually link them with something she has eaten. (Like the other night she woke up screaming, ranting and walking around the house like a mad thing - I checked the bread wrap we had for lunch and sure enough it had 2 artificial preservatives in it. Don't know why I didn't notice that when I bought it)
Hope this helps. :)

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 8:45 am

Night terrors and nightmares are not the same thing, and while all kids can have night terrors, more kids on the spectrum than NT kids get them.

itsangel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2007, 11:16 pm

my daughter had night terrors

don't wake them
walk the person back to bed and make sure they don't hurt them selfs or you lol
i used to think she was awake becouse her eyes were open and she was shouting
but then was very odd and then i realised
i made the mistake of trying to comfort and got my head bashed lol
id sit nearby to make sure they were ok