Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 6:25 pm

Scientists believe we routinely pull 21 distinct faces - more than three times the long-accepted figure of six.

See them here>> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... sions.html

Kinda interesting... I think I usually look at people's mouths when they are relating to me... whatever...

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 8:34 pm

How can someone be "happily disgusted"??

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

31 Mar 2014, 9:26 pm

They are wrong. They forgot some. Like weird. Better known as me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 11:13 pm

They also forgot dower, with the sad eyes and the bubby lip.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 6:52 am

i thought about posting about this too, you beat me to it.

however, i do not believe those emotions are different; i tried and tried and examined the expressions with a magnifying glass, but i only saw 4 different 'combined' emotions, 6 of the offered pictures being identical and the others mainly personal differences, but in no way a different emotion, let alone that any of the 'combined' emotions was recognizable as combined in the first place

also, i keep finding it strange/depressing if some computer is better at reading emotions then i am

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 7:01 am

linatet wrote:

Oh its like when something is so gross it is amusing...or entertainingly squicky.

Its a similar thing to liking movies becaue they are so bad they are good. You know like some of the ridiculous B movies from the 60s or 80s. Bizarre story lines, bad effects, terrible make up but fun to watch all the same.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 7:16 am

izzeme wrote:
i thought about posting about this too, you beat me to it.

however, i do not believe those emotions are different; i tried and tried and examined the expressions with a magnifying glass, but i only saw 4 different 'combined' emotions, 6 of the offered pictures being identical and the others mainly personal differences, but in no way a different emotion, let alone that any of the 'combined' emotions was recognizable as combined in the first place

also, i keep finding it strange/depressing if some computer is better at reading emotions then i am

I just see someone pulling faces that don't look genuine to me, the expressions look exaggerated and artificial. There is an essence missing that you find when an emotion is genuine, like with a fake smile. I am apparently very good with telling a real smile from a fake one. A genuine smile has warmth to it, is more spontaneous and you can't help but to smile back (mirror it). A fake smile does not have that effect and is no where near as warm. Its artificial.

This is another reason I doubt aspergers, people say I misinterpret things but actually I wonder if I read them too well sometimes. People like to conceal things, they don't like it if someone can actually see into their soul and neither do I if it comes with an information overload.

I can also tell if someone's friendliness is genuine when I don't have brain fog as well. As a child, despite my similarities to aspergers in regards to quirks and difference in development to my peers (advanced development in some areas, but also being over sensitive, emotionally immature and too idealistic and not fitting in with my peers due to my being interested in different things to them and seeing the world differently) I was actually an emotional sponge growing up. I could even go so far as to sense someones emotions in the atmosphere. You can tell when two people have been arguing..the atmosphere is thick, and heavy and negative. It feels unfriendly with a cold vibe to it. You can tell when someone is genuinely friendly or warm by sensing their energy. It's not about mental analysis, its an instinct. A feeling. A knowing.

When I did the fake smile test on the BBC, when I relaxed, went by instinct and didn't think about it I got a perfect score. When I went back some weeks later and tried again this time using analysis of facial lines and features I made a lot of mistakes.

Meaning I probably do have instincts when it comes to reading people but can only access them when relaxed and not thinking about it.

However I still have other traits of Aspergers, very much so, especially with difficulty fitting in, dificulty finding peers with similar interests to myself, no having anything to say to most people, have sensitivities and having very intense interests.

My need for routine vanished when I went full blown paleo...and my ability to sense peoples feelings is improving as my brain fog is slowly going away. It seems a gluten free casien free legume free processed food free diet is beneficial for me in that way.

I still am adoring my intense interests though. Presently it is all things paleo, evolutionary nutrition and mental and physical health, weightlifting/fitness and learning music. I want to teach music in the future. I am learning to play piano and also have my eye on a claranette. On saying that I also still like needle crafts, hiking, solving puzzles of all kinds but mostly jigsaw and logic puzzles and would also like to learn to sketch, paint, draw, scuba diving, kayaking, climbing and all about camping (I want to camp out in the back yard during the summer...a chance to get closer to nature, closer to our lifestyles as we ere evolving as a species. I shall research tent prices later. It is beneficial to spend time outside, especially for vitamin D production which I find beneficial for both sleep and mood). I also like geology particular that pertaining to volcanoes and marine biology.

Oh so many fascinating things to learn about, so little time to learn about them all. I have to pick favourites. I need rest and sleep and food and I just don't have enough hours in the day to learn about everything that could fascinate me.

So I have intense interests but many...not one, although if I did have to pick one as my main focus I'd say it's between the paleo thing or the music thing right now because every other interest I have comes back to it. Ie if I were to learn to paint it would have a primal theme or a musical one. On saying that a lot of people draw from their favourite interests for drawing material if they want to create art work.

Sorry to rattle on but whilst a lot of my traits fit Aspergers, something doesn't and I am trying to find out what that is. A straight foward diagnosis of Aspergers is not sitting comfortably in my gut, in the sense that my instincts are telling me there may be something else going on. I am not sure what yet. Perhaps I have a few things combined.

TaciturnPhantom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Apr 2014, 2:38 pm

Never trust the Daily Mail!

Davvo7
Toucan
Toucan

02 Apr 2014, 2:35 am

TaciturnPhantom wrote:
Never trust the Daily Mail!

The UK equivalent of Fox News. Odious.

aspieMD
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2014, 4:19 am

linatet wrote:

Easy. Let's say someone they hate pukes themselves in public. They're happy because it isn't them, but grossed out nonetheless.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 4:20 am

It's all nonsense anyway.

I mean there are an unlimited number of facial expressions.

You can't put a definite number on how many there are.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 4:21 am

It's all nonsense anyway.

I mean there are an unlimited number of facial expressions.

You can't put a definite number on how many there are.