When someone asks you if you would beat someone up

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Crankbadger
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2014, 3:36 pm

Twice I've encountered this situation, I don't know what it means. The person starts asking me if I would kick the s**t out of someone, or kill someone. When I ask who, they don't specify anyone in particular. Its a completely mind boggling question, how could I know if I would want to harm someone if they don't even specify who it is. I can't think of anyone I want to beat up or kill so the answer is always no, but why would someone ask questions like this, is it intended as a warning like "you're pissing me off, keep it up and we're gonna fight"? Is it one of these things NTs call "reading between the lines"? I have to admit, I feel inferior in this sense, its like normal people can see something thats invisible to me. Reading between the lines, I know what they mean by that, but I don't know how to do it. A drunk guy on the bus today was asking me if I would beat up or kill someone. Every time I'd say no, he asked the same question with a slightly changed scenario. Confused the hell outta me. I was in a friendly mood the whole time but I don't know if that was going both ways since I have trouble "reading between the lines". At the end of it he said "I'm worried about you" and "I'm looking out for you". It was a bizarre conversation.

My theory is that he was pissed off that I openly laughed when he fell off the seat as the bus rounded the corner. When I laugh, theres never any harm intended, I don't get the whole "laughing at you, not with you" idea, when I laugh its always about the situation, not at people. With my humor, theres never a butt of the joke.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 3:46 pm

Say something like: "I'm not sure, but I certainly would if the person in question walked up and started attacking me!"

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 3:50 pm

That's when you say "Nah, I'm not much of a fighter. That's why I carry a gun." :wink:

Crankbadger
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2014, 4:54 pm

I can handle myself just fine in a fight, its just I have to know for sure that someones starting a fight to ready myself. The only reason anyone would wanna fight with me is some kinda misunderstanding anyone, so I'd prefer to avoid it but if it happens, I'm not gonna get beaten up over a misconception if I can help it. Happened once before, I won the fight but the other guy threw the first punch outta nowhere and it knocked me down. If I'd known it was coming, I woulda just waited for it and dodged it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 5:04 pm

I'd tell them that they're asking the wrong person and that I'm a lover, not a fighter.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 5:15 pm

Maybe they are just talking hypothetically, like if there is any situation in which you would do that....and the drunk person on the bus was probably just wondering hypothetically what you would do in the senerios they mentioned. With the first one you mention I probably would have said I generally would not want to beat up or kill someone....if I ran into the second one I would have thought about the senerio and if I thought I'd resort to violence in that situation.

For instance if someone asks me if I would kill someone in self defense then I would probably say yes, since I probably would try to defend myself and I wouldn't be too concerned if it kills the person attacking or not. If someone asked if I would murder someone out of curiosity I'd say no.....I don't know I suppose those are weird questions to ask a random person but I am assuming usually if people ask things like that they are talking hypothetically.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

01 Apr 2014, 5:16 pm

It's circumstantial, and I don't like jail.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 5:56 pm

Tell him to fight his own battles. You could be subject to arrest for assault/battery (depending on the state). A misdemeanor conviction, in the US, carries with it severe penalties, especially those related to obtaining employment. In New York State, you cannot expunge a conviction from your record; it's stays with you for the rest of your life. A felony conviction is even worse. Jail is not a good place for people on the Autistic Spectrum. There's no such things as "accommodations" there.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 6:59 pm

Willard wrote:
That's when you say "Nah, I'm not much of a fighter. That's why I carry a gun." :wink:

You can take it one step further and say: "Fighting is for liberals. I carry a gun." It fits especially well in Republican states.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

01 Apr 2014, 7:42 pm

People ask you that because they are thinking of someone who is a bigger a-hole than they are. It's theory of mind man. That is how hobo drunken billy badasses strike up a conversation. You supposed to talk to them about all the people you want them to beat up. All of your ninjitsu traning. How many times you broke someones wiener. Stuff like that.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 8:56 pm

Maybe they thought you were the "dangerous loner" type?

Anyway, the guy was drunk; I don't think you need to be reading that much into his actions. Asking a total stranger whether they'd beat someone up is a pretty rude thing to do. Even most Aspies would know better than that.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Crankbadger
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2014, 7:31 am

Thanks for the replies, but I'm still no closer to understanding what it means. The first guy who asked me this wasn't some crazy drunken bastard, he was my brothers friend who had some a problem with me for some reason, but I couldn't figure out why. In self defense, I'll do what has to be done to put the other guy outta commission, but I'd never attack some random person who I don't know, for no reaason. This guy was asking me slightly varied questions like "who in your area do you want to kill, tell me and I'll go and kill them for you" or "if I go to this place to fight this person, would you back me up". Answer to the 2nd question was "depends who the person is" and first question answer was "theres nobody in my area that I want to kill", basically just answered everything truthfully like I always do.

Callista wrote:
Maybe they thought you were the "dangerous loner" type?

Anyway, the guy was drunk; I don't think you need to be reading that much into his actions. Asking a total stranger whether they'd beat someone up is a pretty rude thing to do. Even most Aspies would know better than that.

Unless I have a death wish, I wouldn't go up to a "dangerous loner type" and ask questions like that. He was talking about gay people with aids though, and talked a lot about homosexuality so I think maybe he had AIDS and had nothing to lose so didn't give a crap. I was mildly high at the time so I was steering the conversation towards more positive and funny topics like starting the revolution by taking down a public monument and replacing it with a giant plasma globe. He approved of my idea and said he'd join my cause, then he dragged some girl behind us into the conversation which made it funnier because I was saying "this is where it starts, now theres three of us, pretty soon there'll be a million of us, the snowball effect" and the drunk guy was planning how he was going to take the monument down with a saw but I informed him we'd need a blowtorch (its made of metal) and possibly some explosives. The funniest part was when the girl asked what the snowball effect is, and as I was explaining it in scientific terms, the drunk guy was repeating key words like "gravitational force" and "momentum" but clearly didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

He got me embarrassed when he said "this girl likes you, you two are meant to be together, you could even have kids". This is my major weakness in life, I haven't made any progress with girls and this one was pretty nice looking, I could never see someone like her having an interest in me. Then he told me "you just need to think positively". So all in all, it was a very bizarre conversation. I don't know whether the guy was being friendly or beligerant or both. Thats how drunk people are though I suppose, one minute they're friendly, next minute they're angry and violent.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 10:17 am

That's exactly how drunk people are. Their emotions vacillate between the extremes. Maybe, in his drunken stupor, the guy was trying to hook you up with a girl, people do have matchmaking instincts.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 4:25 pm

I wonder if he remembers doing all that. Probably not. He must've been pretty drunk.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Al725
Toucan
Toucan

02 Apr 2014, 5:21 pm

Did guy who was not drunk know you have aspergers? Further more are you big and mean looking? The drunk was probably angery about something, but I wonder if the other guy was trying to mess with your head.

kaiouti
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Apr 2014, 1:53 am

Willard wrote:

THATS A GOOD ONE! :)