Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 2:29 am

Lots of rocking. Running my hands back and forth on my legs when sitting. Or running my hand up and down my arm. Hand wringing and finger twisting. Humming/moaning/growling.

netspectre223
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Apr 2014, 3:59 am

While performing physical activities without external influence, (Work or otherwise,) I tend to assess things for a moment before acting. I've been told it looks like I'm typing in mid-air.

Any time I'm at work or in the presence of others I tend to work math in my head; It seems to help. Luckily the world is built on math, it isn't difficult to find things that basic mathematics can describe. Use for advanced mathematics as needed is likewise easily found.

As for my free time? Once the wife and kids go to bed and I can be myself? I work on odd ideas, design new projects and as I pace around thinking of new ideas and why old ideas failed, I seem to have this odd air-drumming thing I do that I wouldn't want anyone to see... Ever.

a_dork
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Apr 2014, 5:18 am

Skin picking, finger flicking, chewing the inside of my mouth, moving tongue inside mouth, biting lips, repeating words/phrases, pacing back and forth, spinning in my chair, random laughing, and touching objects.

― L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

jbw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Apr 2014, 5:36 am

Wow, lots of familiar stims in this post. If I'm sitting, superficially it may seem as if I don't move a lot, but actually most of the time I'm stimming in one way or another.

sonataform wrote:
i make this throat noise like I'm clearing my throat...I want to stop it but it's so ...addictive.

My son recently started doing this :)

Falloy wrote:
biting fingernails and finger tips

Yep.

TaciturnPhantom wrote:
grinding my teeth

Yep.

structrix wrote:
wringing my hands, chewing my inner lips and cheeks, clapping hands, jumping.

Yep. As a child I also used to bite the tip of my tongue.

skibum wrote:
I rub my feet together especially if they are bare, I rub my eyebrows or my forehead, I pace.

Yep.

netspectre223 wrote:
Any time I'm at work or in the presence of others I tend to work math in my head; It seems to help. Luckily the world is built on math, it isn't difficult to find things that basic mathematics can describe. Use for advanced mathematics as needed is likewise easily found.

This as well, but it only leads to further stimming :)

Ideally twice a week or whenever possible, I go windsurfing. Nothing beats a good session on the water.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 5:40 am

Leg vibrate, fingers clasping, clapping with hands at "bowl like" shape (it makes a funny sound, like a drum), making funny sounds using tongue (which pisses my mom off xD) or destroying/being creative with something (for example I can rip a candy wrapper to pieces or make a origami from it without thinking about the shape).
I try my best to hold myself in public and I just clasp my fingers or do the ripping/origami thing then. And I realized something funny - once I start doing the ripping/origami thing some people around me get their own piece of paper and do the same. I am causing NTs stim. :D

Oh, and I rock too. But usually I do it only when in meltdown or close to get into one.

AmandaMarie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Apr 2014, 6:21 am

I rock if I am upset, I pace, I bounce my leg, but the worst one is I pick at my scalp constantly. My scalp always has sores. I remember distinctly when I was a young child, my step-mom told me I was disgusting because of my scalp picking. That was upsetting. So I learned to try not to do it in front of other people. I still want to do it in my discussion groups and things, which I sometimes give into a little bit. I'm not sure how noticeable it is to other people at those times.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 7:58 am

normally i whisper to myself, or i chew on things and squeeze things in my hands.

but in stressful times screaming, humming, pacing, and pressing on my eyes is all i can do

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 8:04 am

I bang on things (though not hard), I bump into walls like an American football blocker, I howl like a wolf, I meow like a cat, I bark like a dog, Whenever I'm frustrated, I bang my head against hard objects (though I control the intensity). I say, when the subway's delayed "Whaddaya doing?"--like an echolalic script type of thing.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 8:07 am

i used to bang my head on things but now i just hit myself.

my dad doesnt let me though

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 7:49 pm

Chew, With things like screwdrivers, rulers I whip them back and forth rapidly. Rub hands, Take one hand clasp it around arm and move it back and forth from elbow to hand. The last one is hardest to control for me in public. In support groups I noticed a lot of people doing that when the atmosphere is tense due to a emotional topic being discussed or near the end of the meeting.

I rock irregularly. The ones above I do often.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

srd
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Apr 2014, 7:41 am

I do different variations of rocking. Whole back, forwards/back or side-to-side; head alone (like a very soft head bang). I am very self-conscious about people possibly observing unusual behaviours

If other people are around I will do things that are less noticeable, such as fidget my hands, stretching them as far as I can go, from squeezing hard into a fist, to a flat like appearance, except bending slightly upwards, going back and forth between the two states.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 173 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 45 of 200

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 7:46 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
i used to bang my head on things but now i just hit myself.
my dad doesnt let me though

That too. And my dad usually subdues me.

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 8:33 am

Finger twisting, nail skin picking, peeling the skin off my lips with my teeth (working on stopping that), foot shaking, rubbing my feet together (usually just before going to sleep), flipping up and down from standing on the bottom of my feet to standing on the sides of my feet, and sometimes swaying when I stand (which I often don't realize I'm doing until my dad asks me if I am dancing :lol:).

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 11:04 am

I pace, bite my cheeks, and tap my fingers in a quick rhythm from pinky to forefinger. If no one's around I love snapping my fingers, it's like crack.

Mpregangel
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Apr 2014, 12:59 pm

I shake my leg whenever it starts hurting, I use headphones a lot to listen to rhythmic music(I con only listen to certain beats and vocals to a very picky degree. I never really listen to American singers or dub step music because they hurt), I eat spicy or sour food/candy, I wrap up in a plush blanket, I stare at patterns and follow them, I bite my fingernails, I chew on my tongue, and wiggling my body.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 5:10 pm

I shake/bounce both legs side to side/backwards and forwards/up and down when I'm sitting down, growl, chewing things (I have a chewbuddy thing, which is basically a stick man), shake my head a small amount side to side quite fast, touching each finger on my thumb one after another and kneeling on the floor and rocking back and forwards.