Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 3:12 pm

In the past month I've watched both the Danish and US versions of The Killing and found it totally enthralling. Binge viewing at it's best. So pleased Netflix have comissioned a season 4 of the US version. The end of Season 3 was the best tv I've ever seen. Such a sad ending. Such an awful situation to be in. My jaw was on the floor as I watched it.

The thing I like about Danish tv is all the plot twists. The pace is slow, but I like reading novels, so to me the pace is the same as reading a book, but I know some veiwers don't like that. But because I like reading before bed I enjoyed reading the Danish subtitles and watching as the plot unfolded.

I seriously recommend this series to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Is anyone else out there a fan?

AspCat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Apr 2014, 7:03 pm

I am a fan of the US version and have watched the first season twice through on BluRay. I'm not happy that season two is only available in regular def DVD, and have no info as to when season 3 might be available for those of us watching on disc. For this reason I have only seen season 1 so far. I do love rainy, dark-themed shows, and The Killing certainly fits the bill. Besides, the acting is great, Joel Kinneman really nailing his off-center, troubled character. The rights to the show have been passed around and this only adds to the sporadic presentation of the story. I DO have press kits for seasons 1-3 though.

I am intrigued by the Danish stories and appreciate your description of them, as I have read very little about them. However, from what I have noted, only region 2 (region B) disks are available, and I can't play them (I'm in the US). Perhaps I am mistaken? Is there a workaround?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 4:09 am

I watched them all on Netflix. Seasons 1 and 2 of the Danish series are available. I was disappointed that season 3 is not. I'm trying to bid for it on ebay. If you have a multi-region dvd player you could like me try and get a british copy.
Seasons 1-3 of the US version are available on Netflix. I love Joel Kinnemans' character. At first I didn't like him, but he grew on me. I like the way we were allowed to see him develop slowly. He seemed a bit of a doofus at first and I wondered how he was allowed to be a cop, but he really comes into his own and proves himself to be a strong reliable character.

Sarah Linden and Sara Lund are based on each other, but very different. Mireille Enos portrays Linden as very sure and determined. Sofia Grabol portrays Lund as determined too, but in a more ethereal way. She often stares off into the distance as she is thinking which is very captivating. There are similar twists in the two of the versions, but it is not at all the same story, the US version is more intense and drawn out. More heart rending. It is acted so well.

I love the direction. The gloomy arty filming.

*edited to correct a typo

Last edited by hurtloam on 06 Apr 2014, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

kcooper
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Apr 2014, 6:03 am

I love the Danish version of the series. I'm a big fan of the nordic crime drama in general, it is all so dark. Now it's getting to Spring I'm not sure it'll be quite the same watching The Killing - it being dark outside really adds to the atmosphere!

AspCat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Apr 2014, 7:51 am

This weekend Amazon has Season 2 DVD on sale, so I bit the bullet (pardon the pun) and bought it, even though it is regular definition. The cold grey skies really need 1080p to bring out the detail, but I'll go with what's available. Everyone is saying that season 3 of the US version is good, so I am hoping it will be available here on DVD.

That was cruel of NetFlix to withhold season 3 of the Danish version- I mean, really, after getting the audience into it. I note that a region 2 complete Danish series is on the DVD market. If only someone would collect everything and make it available in a consistent format for region 1.

AspCat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Apr 2014, 7:55 am

kcooper wrote:
I love the Danish version of the series. I'm a big fan of the nordic crime drama in general, it is all so dark. Now it's getting to Spring I'm not sure it'll be quite the same watching The Killing - it being dark outside really adds to the atmosphere!

LMAO, I know what you mean. I like to watch DVDs daily at around 6 PM, and the prevailing sunlight varies with the season. My horror and rainy drama films get little attention between May and October.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 9:26 am

Yeah, I've been watching it at night with the blinds down and the lights off and just losing myself in it. My laptop has a mediocre screen and I still enjoy the detail. Would be interesting to watch on a better screen.

Flyer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Apr 2014, 9:59 am

hurtloam wrote:
I love the direction. The gloomy arty filming.

It's beautiful. I even love the way the intro looks. Now that you reminded of it, I have to see the Danish version. :)

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

06 Apr 2014, 2:22 pm

I think the Danish versions are much better. It wouldn't surprise me if the The Killing USA was directly derived from the danish version.