Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

AZprofessional
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Apr 2014, 10:53 pm

Nightmare situation. Bad enough I have the aspergers/ADHD for a bipolar teen to take well advantage of - when she's off her meds. She also has an eating disorder and blames it on me because of the lack of emotional support - family also blames me. Combination results in a roller coaster - yet high anxiety because I stress out with change and meltdowns galore. Tried to join a parent support group but the parents were annoyed with me as "odd" and I have a hard time fitting in - even with similar interests with other ppl without the same illness.

inachildsmind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Apr 2014, 1:03 pm

please tell me more!

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 1:10 am

Is there any way to try and stop your daughter going off her meds? Does she have a regular therapist she sees who could try and stress the importance of staying on medication at all times to her? This is really really important.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 2:13 am

I don't really understand the situation. Does the teen has ADHD and aspergers and bipolar or do you have ADHD and aspergers and she has bipolar or does she has aspergers and/or ADHD and bipolar? :?

Sorry for the question, it's just my language problem.

It's best if you could provide more information like why does she wants to go off her meds and why does the family blame you?

inachildsmind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Apr 2014, 9:58 am

I was misdiagnosed as bipolar as a teen and I suffered endlessly with meds and psychiatrists not understanding me etc. I finally got a diagnosis of Autism and it has changed my life and given me answers to things I did not know how to explain to other people. Females often get misdiagnosed with bipolar if they are autistic because they may not show the same character traits as boys do or females with boy traits do. I would get her a complete mental evaluation and check for possible autism/aspergers. If you have it she may very well have it but is showing it differently. Medication destroyed me and going on and off trying to figure out what was going on with me made everything worse. Now I got my answer and I am seeing a special therapist that specifically deals with autism and I have done 100% better because I am getting proper therapy as before I was only getting therapy from NTs that typcially talk to other NTs. Just a suggestion. I would hate someone to go through the same pain and misunderstandings that I did the last 15 years of my life.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 2:11 am

inachildsmind wrote:
I was misdiagnosed as bipolar as a teen and I suffered endlessly with meds and psychiatrists not understanding me etc. I finally got a diagnosis of Autism and it has changed my life and given me answers to things I did not know how to explain to other people. Females often get misdiagnosed with bipolar if they are autistic because they may not show the same character traits as boys do or females with boy traits do. I would get her a complete mental evaluation and check for possible autism/aspergers. If you have it she may very well have it but is showing it differently. Medication destroyed me and going on and off trying to figure out what was going on with me made everything worse. Now I got my answer and I am seeing a special therapist that specifically deals with autism and I have done 100% better because I am getting proper therapy as before I was only getting therapy from NTs that typcially talk to other NTs. Just a suggestion. I would hate someone to go through the same pain and misunderstandings that I did the last 15 years of my life.

Yes, I would agree with this also, bipolar meds are not trivial stuff. But if she is bipolar then meds are definitely better than not being on them. Best to make certain either way.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 7:18 am

sunshower wrote:
inachildsmind wrote:

Yes, I would agree with this also, bipolar meds are not trivial stuff. But if she is bipolar then meds are definitely better than not being on them. Best to make certain either way.

Yes that's why it's important to look into this situation more deeply. Maybe because she wants to go off her meds because she has the feeling they aren't helping or has side effects. I mean we know close to nothing what's really going on. That's why we can just guess when the OP isn't providing any more information. :?