Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

DCGSage
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Apr 2014, 9:57 pm

I don't post in here much but I do lurk of and on and mostly find my answers accordingly. Here is the situation, our 15yr old son (who is brilliant) is officially diagnosed as having High Functioning Autism, OCD, ADHD, high anxieties, etc. Our 16 yr old Daughter is also diagnosed with high functioning autism, OCD and intense social anxieties. My wife and I watched our children growing up and it has been pretty close to looking in the mirror of our own childhoods. We have taken some online autism tests/quizzes which we passed with flying colors so to speak confirming that in all likelihood, we as well have these same conditions and disorders but we have never saw the need for official diagnosis.

So, here it is, two parents with Aspergers/high function autism trying to raise two teenagers with the same issues and disorders. Well, it is a struggle to say the least. Any thoughts? We have exhausted our savings account on counseling which frankly here in Idaho appears to be a complete waste of time and money as there just aren't good resources here in this highly religious paradigm where people are mostly taught that pray/go to church and God will help you....also suck it up, get tough and cowboy up mentalities. I think we are on our own. The school systems suck and our kids were washing out so we home school them now and they seem to be doing better in that aspect. Still, 4 completely different aspies in the same house trying to function, comes with some big trials.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 5:14 am

Well between you and me, both my daughter and I have aspergers.

I think you should all just kick back and enjoy each others company, lifes too short for anything else.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 1:03 pm

DCGSage wrote:
I don't post in here much but I do lurk of and on and mostly find my answers accordingly. Here is the situation, our 15yr old son (who is brilliant) is officially diagnosed as having High Functioning Autism, OCD, ADHD, high anxieties, etc. Our 16 yr old Daughter is also diagnosed with high functioning autism, OCD and intense social anxieties. My wife and I watched our children growing up and it has been pretty close to looking in the mirror of our own childhoods. We have taken some online autism tests/quizzes which we passed with flying colors so to speak confirming that in all likelihood, we as well have these same conditions and disorders but we have never saw the need for official diagnosis.

So, here it is, two parents with Aspergers/high function autism trying to raise two teenagers with the same issues and disorders. Well, it is a struggle to say the least. Any thoughts? We have exhausted our savings account on counseling which frankly here in Idaho appears to be a complete waste of time and money as there just aren't good resources here in this highly religious paradigm where people are mostly taught that pray/go to church and God will help you....also suck it up, get tough and cowboy up mentalities. I think we are on our own. The school systems suck and our kids were washing out so we home school them now and they seem to be doing better in that aspect. Still, 4 completely different aspies in the same house trying to function, comes with some big trials.

You and your family should become part of the intentional autistic community within an already existing community we are putting together in thornton Colorado. As long as I stay in remission [sometime it's for years] we could have a blast together. Feel free to ask any questions.