Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 1:17 am

So, the other day during one of my assessment sessions, the psychologist asked me if I sometimes find myself talking too much. I said "yes" without hesitation and told her that I often get the feeling that I either don't say much at all or I talk an awful lot. I tend to talk a lot about things that interest me and just random things that are on my mind when I'm in the mood for it. When I'm not in the mood for it (which is most of the time) I'm pretty quiet. Then I usually just observe things and people, think a lot, count things, ponder the world and my place in it (and a lot of other things).

Yesterday was one of those days when I talked a lot. I talked a lot about books (I love books), things I observed, I quoted the same things from movies repeatedly etc. Today I pretty much don't want to talk to anyone, which will be a bit difficult since I'm currently visiting my family. I just want to be alone and play video games, read books and think. Visiting family is always a bit difficult and I'm always quite ambivalent towards it. I love my family but not getting time to be by myself makes me anxious and depressed after a while. Going back home on Sunday.

Anyway, yesterday I really felt like I was talking an awful lot and I mentioned that to my boyfriend. I also mentioned that the psychologist had asked me about it. He laughed a little and said he definitely agrees with me being either very quiet (most of the time) or really talkative. Other people have told me similar things. That I tend to participate in conversations when I'm interested in the topic but that I tend to be quite withdrawn otherwise. Nowadays I sometimes try to participate in conversations that don't interest me too but I sort of just "zone out" really quickly. I sort of nod or say "uhuh" etc but I'm someplace else in my head. Do you know what I mean?

Can anyone relate to this? What's it like for you?

(This post feels a bit messy/incoherent. Sorry about that.)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 2:50 am

I find that no matter how careful I am and how much I second-guess myself, it is unavoidable that offensive things come out of my mouth. it never fails to happen. I am just not meant for human social interaction. the best thing I can do is to live by ben franklin's excellent advice - "'tis better to keep silent and as a fool thought about, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 2:52 am

Last edited by tall-p on 19 Apr 2014, 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 5:00 am

rebbieh wrote:
So, the other day during one of my assessment sessions, the psychologist asked me if I sometimes find myself talking too much. I said "yes" without hesitation and told her that I often get the feeling that I either don't say much at all or I talk an awful lot. I tend to talk a lot about things that interest me and just random things that are on my mind when I'm in the mood for it. When I'm not in the mood for it (which is most of the time) I'm pretty quiet. Then I usually just observe things and people, think a lot, count things, ponder the world and my place in it (and a lot of other things).

This describes me very well. I have those two predominant moods:
1) very agitated and happy talk a lot nonstop and go around dancing, singing
2) facial expressions following my thoughts not environment or expressionless, and quiet, don't answer or answer in monosyllabus.

Either extremely quiet or extremely agitated. usually 1 when I am talking about something exciting or something exciting happened, and 2 when I am spacey/reflexive or focused; other situations may be both. When I am in the 1 mood and change to the 2 people ask: "what is wrong? why are you sad?" etc and that actually irritates me because I answer "nothing! I am ok!" but they think there is something saddening me and I am hiding it!
maybe that with meltdowns may be the reason some aspies are disdiagnosed bipolar.