aspergers and different facial features?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 8:45 am

So, I know this person that has asperger traits but also has very different facial features. I can't explain the features because of lack of vocabulary and also I am terrible with faces. But when you look at him you see there is something up with him, just like down syndrome has a distinct facial feature.
does anyone know what it could be? aspies have "normal" facial features right? but can some aspies be born with different facial features? or is there another condition that has similar traits to asperger plus different facial features?

add: actually I know two aspies with faces that stand out and they have similar feature characteristics

Last edited by linatet on 18 Apr 2014, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 8:53 am

I believe most people on the Spectrum have "normal" facial features. It's what they "do" with the features which might set them apart. Like facial tics and such.

There are people with autism who have chromosomal differences; this would lead to facial features which stand out.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 8:55 am

I've always tended to think that people with ASD tend to have very front set eyes, if that makes any sense, but I don't know if that's just a misperceived characteristic on my part or simply the more somber, penetrating expression people with ASD may have because we exercise control of our facial muscles differently from NT's. Or none of the above, lol. Any thoughts on that, anyone?

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 8:59 am

Distinct facial features ...

-symmetric face per my optometrist's measurements
-sunken in eyes (i.e., my skull formed so that other people regard my eyes to be set farther back into my skull than most people)

Searching google on "autism sunken in eyes" shows other ASD people report this feature as well.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 9:24 am

LoveNotHate wrote:

-sunken in eyes (i.e., my skull formed so that other people regard my eyes to be set farther back into my skull than most people)

Searching google on "autism sunken in eyes" shows other ASD people report this feature as well.

google images is very contradictory. can you post pictures of what you mean by suken eyes?

Quote:
There are people with autism who have chromosomal differences; this would lead to facial features which stand out.

what kind of chromosomal differences?

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 9:57 am

I've often heard people on here say that those with AS tend to have more youthful/younger looking faces than a lot of the general population. If that's true, it's probably due to them leading relatively sheltered lives in comparison to most NTs( i.e. staying inside the house more away of the elements, among other things)

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 10:11 am

I am not discussing here subtle facial features like things some say aspies have (attached earlobe, wide eyes etc)
I am talking about facial features that do stand out and anyone instantly see they have something, like you can tell down syndrome and williams syndrome.
I am not saying aspies have distinct facial features but that I know two aspies that have, and I wonder what it could be.
I am trying to find a picture on the web of a face that look like theirs, but it is hard. specially because I don't know what is the cause so I could search by the condition name.

Last edited by linatet on 18 Apr 2014, 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 10:14 am

Asperger's has no distinctive facial features in and of itself.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 11:50 am

LoveNotHate wrote:

I've noticed the sunken eye thing recently too! But I've never googled it. I have no idea if everyone with autsim has this, but for some people it is defiantly more pronounced that with others.

For whatever reason, I've always been able to tell by looking at someone if the has autism/AS. I can't explain why I've just always been able to do that even if I just see a picture of someone.

But as Kraftiekortie said, there are no actually documented/ scientifically known distinctive features for Aspergers or autism.

That being said, I do know that sometimes a person's autism is caused by Fragile X Syndrome which is a genetic mutation that causes some differences in facial and body structure as well as affecting some cognitive abilities. So that could maybe be what you are looking for.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 12:04 pm

I don't have facial features that stand out. My earlobes aren't pinned back to my head, my head ain't big, my eyes aren't sunken in or really wide. I don't believe there are certain facial features for people on the spectrum, unless they have some other condition like a chromosome-related thing. I've met at least one NT with these said facial features anyway so a person having these said facial features doesn't scream out ''this person is Autistic!'' like it does when you first look at a person with Down's Syndrome.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 12:41 pm

Are sunken eyes the same as deep-set eyes. I have deep-set eyes and I guess that could look 'sunken."

foxfield
Toucan
Toucan

18 Apr 2014, 1:10 pm

linatet wrote:
google images is very contradictory. can you post pictures of what you mean by suken eyes?

I have difficulty understanding faces as well, but have been using google to try and work out what sunken/deep-set eyes are. Here is what I understand by it.

You can experiment with your own eyes in front of the mirror.
When you frown, your eyes look more deep-set. Your eyebrows get closer to your eyes, your eyelids become hidden, and your eyes get narrower.

When you raise your eyebrows in surprise your eyes look less deep-set. Your eyebrows pull away from your eyes, your eyelids are clearly visible and your eyes are wider and more protruding.

People with deep set eyes look more like the frowning version all the time. It is a look associated with mystery and intensity. It is a feature commonly found among male model types, and women tend to rate the look as very attractive.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhRVrLlXO8s[/youtube]

Its kind of the opposite for women. Women with more open, more innocent looking eyes tend to be deemed more attractive.

Another interesting point is that Hans Asperger in his original paper described his subjects as having a "brooding frown". So maybe there is something to the deep set eyes thing.

Last edited by foxfield on 18 Apr 2014, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 1:11 pm

It's not as much a set of facial features as an expression. People with High Functioning Autism have a more or less permanently ingrained look of preoccupation and stress and they rarely smile, even when they think they're smiling.

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 1:57 pm

http://sfari.org/news-and-opinion/news/ ... m-severity

Quote:
“We’re not talking about kids you would pick out on the street as looking different. These are subtle differences that are systematic, [in the range of] 2 to 5 millimeters,” Aldridge says. “It is extraordinarily precise.” She has used 3DMD to assess facial dysmorphology in children with birth defects3.

However, there are certain things that are very recognizable to me, and I have trouble sometimes even recognizing my own children if they appear out of context, such as surprise me at work, but other people I do not know that well I can recognize immediately after not seeing them for years. Also, it should be mentioned that I have met quite a few autistic people around the city and very many from attending aspie functions, and almost all of the latter look just like anyone else. but not all. A few have pronounced foreheads but what is even more noticeable is that some have kind of rounded features. Once you have spotted it you will know it, as it is then easily discernible, but this is only one subgroup.

The thing is, by my understanding, if autism is a developmental disorder with some genetic underpinnings, I do not see how far it is possible to go in understanding autism by reducing so many people to one common factor, but this is not the same as saying ALL autism is genetic. I said before I think there are basically two different kinds of autistic brains and got attacked for saying this, but I do still think there are, though maybe this is a bit of an oversimplification, and I am not accounting into this assesment autism that may be primarily environmental.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 2:30 pm

I've read two studies done on identifying facial features associated with Aspergers/Autism. I think I posted on another thread and will have to look. But from memory these were some features they thought they had evidence of showing in the autistic population more then NT population (note 'more' not 'always'):

-Larger eyes
-Eyes wider apart
-Shorter distance between nose and top lip
-Large Lips
-Larger top half of head
-Small tufting in spots at hairline

The above, particularly concerning eyes is believed to come closer to child proportions and may contribute to the youthful appearance. The features are not at all displeasing to the eye and may also contribute to some better then average looks, though this is very subjective. The features also do not deviate from norms enough to be very noticeable. They are more subtle. There are not enough studies and repeated ones to call it established. At this point they are suggestive and need more verification. It is good to also mention that just as autism comes in a range so might the features, and far from all have them. There is just a significantly higher prevalence found in the studies.

I have always had faces as a special interest and my personal observation is that ASD women have a bit more attractive facial features on average then NT ones. Most of that belief is based on the many facial pictures posted here. Now that is very subjective, and based only on about a 100-200 sample, but I would be willing to bet on it. :lol:

What I found on whether the faces are more asymmetrical was conflicting/non-conclusive.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 2:34 pm

ImeldaJace wrote:

That being said, I do know that sometimes a person's autism is caused by Fragile X Syndrome which is a genetic mutation that causes some differences in facial and body structure as well as affecting some cognitive abilities. So that could maybe be what you are looking for.

I did a research and it may be fragile x syndrome! Actually the 1 in every 25 aspies also have it. The facial features of those I know differ most on the eyes and ears area, but the head shape is not oval like typical fragile x, it is a different shape than normal but not oval. Also it is said that fragile x is a form of mental retardation but those I know are intelligent...