SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 12:11 pm

During the day:
Kids playing outside and screaming all day
Traffic
Bright light (sun)
Sirens (hospital with A&E near my house)

I can't shut one of my windows properly.

I've been having meltdowns every day and I've got bruises and cuts from them.

I'm trying to study for exams.

I wish the kids could play quietly or just go away.

I'm shaking with anxiety.

I've decided to go partially nocturnal. Sleep 03:00 - 09:00 every morning so I can study later at night in peace. What do you think?

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 12:35 pm

I also lead a nocturnal lifestyle, as my schedule permits this, and I can only get things done at night when nobody is bothering me. I say go for it if you can afford it, but remember about your health as this lifestyle is said to hurt it.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 12:54 pm

Thanks. I am not in term now, I'm studying for my exams, so nocturnal could easily work.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 1:24 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
I can't shut one of my windows properly.

You might go down to the hardware store and get one of those 4x8 Styrofoam sheets. cut it to size and put it in your window. If you window doesn't have an extruded sill, you could just place the whole sheet over the window area. whis stuff works great at blocking out sound.

Onoma
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Apr 2014, 3:20 pm

I use 'study music' (find it on youtube) I find it blocks out the sounds going on around me, can use headphones to get maximum use. I also use Bach's rescue remedy and rescue remedy nighttime melts, I know its only homeopathy but I take it anyway.
I also use to go to the Library for some quiet back in the day when I lived in a city that had a library and not in a remote area, like now.
There are also travel ear plugs for blocking out noise while on a plane or train and they could help you sleep too.
I hope one of these are useful for you.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 3:24 pm

I live in supported housing so I'm not allowed to modify anything in the house is DIY.

I cannot study with any music unfortunately.

I will try ear plugs although even my ear defenders didn't work enough.

It's 21:24. I'm going to start my late night study.

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 3:38 pm

I've come across the working at night thing before. There is a physicist called David Deutsch who does the same thing so you're in good company.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 4:37 am

Cool.

I got up at 3am this morning and I'm still not tired.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 9:24 am

Yeah its very easily leads to the batman lifestyle.

Going to sleep when to sun goes up. Waking up from sleep when the sun goes down.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 9:50 am

Yeah, I know what you mean. Styrofoam over the windows sounds great but I need sunshine. It's very vital to my well being. And the bass travels through all solids. I can't even put my head on my pillow sometimes because it comes up my pillow and directly into the bones of my ears. But the kids screaming is really annoying. They were bouncing a basketball yesterday and that was horrible.

I have an MP3 player that I play music through almost constantly now. I wear a fanny pack in the house to keep it in if what I am wearing does not have pockets. I keep the music playing as softly as possible to help the sound and not damage my hearing. But when people play bass on their stereos the only thing I can do is seal my ears shut with my fingers. Nothing else works. I have tried just about everything. I just need to win the lottery and buy a mountain and put a fence around it.

Wreck It Ralph

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 11:48 am

Bright sunlight and bright florescent light has triggered many sensory overloads in the form of meltdowns or panic attacks. I'm going to start home school / internet school and that's partly the reason. I'm very nocturnal. I have a thing called delayed phase sleep syndrome. I want to move to a place that's dark and cloudy most of the time.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 11:59 am

Try the Pacific Northwest in winter. Washington State, Oregon.

England not bad for that in the winter as well.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 4:34 pm

I live in London and I love winter. Cold and dark. I don't like the floods in England but cold dark weather is lovely.

I just want to buy a cottage in middle of a forest.

It's 22:30 now and I plan to stay up until at least 02:00. I haven't even taken my night meds yet.

I can't wait until I live on my own, which will be pretty soon.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 10:41 pm

EzraS wrote:
Bright sunlight and bright florescent light has triggered many sensory overloads in the form of meltdowns or panic attacks. I'm going to start home school / internet school and that's partly the reason. I'm very nocturnal. I have a thing called delayed phase sleep syndrome. I want to move to a place that's dark and cloudy most of the time.

Does such a place in fact exist ?. Unless its like the north pole or something, i dont imagine they get much sun up there.