Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

RikkiK
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Apr 2014, 11:07 am

I'm getting evaluated for Asperger's this summer, I've recognized the symptoms in myself for years and we believe that my father has it also, you can read some of my past posts to get the whole story. I'm in my first year of college, and despite having had good grades first semester, I'm becoming more and more frustrated with how much work I seem to be putting in to do well, as compared to how little it appears my peers put in (and do just as well).

I've always been a serious procrastinator, but more problematic is the fact that homework takes me HOURS to do, despite understanding the material and having relatively light work to do (or, lighter than it could be). Ever since highschool i just didn't do my homework because i knew if i started doing it, i wouldn't finish for hours (or i would just give up and get distracted, so what's the point), but i got by on just getting A's on tests without studying. I've also been crazy messy my whole life, and truly lose or break everything I own. Now that I'm here in college, I actually have to do the work, and I have been, but I'm at that point where I have so much to do and I know it takes me at least three times as long to do work as everyone else that I truly don't see how getting it done is possible.

I'm an acting major who can't even sit through a movie. it pisses my professors off when they find out I can't read a play in one sitting and don't like watching films or plays, but I can't focus on them. my sister was finally diagnosed ADD (perhaps ADHD? don't know the details) at 23, because my father doesn't "believe" in ADD, but my mother clearly has utterly rampant ADHD, she doesn't even finish her sentences often, she gets so easily distracted.

of course, there are things that might just be ASD (or vice-versa). I absolutely will not focus on someone if there is a tv or radio on while they are talking, I can't remember verbal instructions or directions, i forget dates and important things......

is there a common co-morbidity of ADD and ASD? I never thought I would consider psycho drugs, but at this point I don't see how I'll make it out of college alive, much less make it as a successful self-sufficient adult...

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 11:41 am

Yes, absolutely there is comorbidity between AS and ADD. Now, certainly not all ADD individuals have Asperger's, of course, but many/most Aspies have at least some features of ADD.

I've never been diagnosed with ADD. But I bet I easily could have been; I recognize some signs within myself. You've outlined the pattern: Aspies do really well in high school, getting by on their raw intelligence - then go to university and find they also need other skills - then endless feedback loop of desperation - in turn affects motivation - then self-confidence - procrastination cycle gets worse as a result. You'll need to break this cycle.

RikkiK, I just want to assure you and tell you to be confident. I really do know what you mean and how different it is to be, well, different. Your path will be different from that of your peers, but you already have some advantages that they do not (although I'm sure it does not seem that way just now). You might wish to speak to a special needs (disability service) person at your university so your professors know.

I used to procrastinate......and hated myself for it. Seemingly an endless loop of procrastination. But I do not anymore; I'm the opposite. I honestly do not know what 'flipped the switch,' but mostly it was motivation. You will need to clarify your goal and de-clutter your pathway for virtually every academic task you do for now. I've used PowerPoint slides to organize my thoughts to write papers. Now I am a strong analytical writer, but that attribute came later for me. Colour-code your notebooks, build yourself a shelving unit or whatever works to make it easier for yourself. Study with a digital timer (I did it). I believe most of us need structure to succeed. Afterward, once you've found your own way, then you'll wonder why it was all so hard for you in the first place. Persevere. :)

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

19 Apr 2014, 12:14 pm

I've suspected I've had ADD for a while now, the last psych eval I had agreed but I don't know what that really means as far as being official. I've procrastinated half my life away, I was never able to get my work done in school and am so easily distracted. I always have stuff I want to do that I never can finish.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 12:37 pm

I've seen a variety of estimates of comorbidity for Aspergers and ADHD, ranging from 20% all the way up to 80%.

Mpregangel
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Apr 2014, 2:10 pm

I don't know, I think add is over diagnosed. It's natural for and aspie to get bored if something doesn't interest them. I know I'm very, very picky what I will watch on tv or what games I play. I don't want to do anything boring. However I'm not ADD because I can sit through a 24 episode anime in one sitting if it's compelling and engaging.

I had a cousin who was actually add and he couldn't do anything for more than 5 minutes whether he enjoyed it or not. He bounced from video games, to movies, to toys, to running around constantly even though he absolutes enjoyed each activity he didn't have the ability to sit through it.

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 2:21 pm

I have both.

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~

cannotthinkoff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Apr 2014, 3:14 pm

LabPet wrote:
I used to procrastinate......and hated myself for it. Seemingly an endless loop of procrastination. But I do not anymore; I'm the opposite. I honestly do not know what 'flipped the switch,' but mostly it was motivation. You will need to clarify your goal and de-clutter your pathway for virtually every academic task you do for now. I've used PowerPoint slides to organize my thoughts to write papers. Now I am a strong analytical writer, but that attribute came later for me. Colour-code your notebooks, build yourself a shelving unit or whatever works to make it easier for yourself. Study with a digital timer (I did it). I believe most of us need structure to succeed. Afterward, once you've found your own way, then you'll wonder why it was all so hard for you in the first place. Persevere. :)

I am a student and have real troubles with procrastination (as you said, in uni I discovered I seriously lack some skills and then it spiraled into an endless loop). I really liked your insights on this. Do you have any more advice on how to beat it? Specifically, how to start on beating it.. (Sorry to derail the thread)