Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ShotgunRider
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Apr 2014, 2:30 pm

I have enormous difficulty swearing at other people, while my normal classmates swear at each other all the time. I easily swear(out loud) when I'm alone and something makes me angry/frustrated(such as if I accidentally hit my head against an object, or get killed in a video game), but I almost never do it towards other people. I did it once, and my classmates made a big deal out of it, likely because I am known not to swear. They guy whom I directed it at responded "You have no sense of humor". Say what? I was't trying to be funny. Someone else in my class, who swears a lot(just like most of them) said "Since when do you talk like that?", which irritated me because, after all, everybody uses profane words, so what's wrong if I did it too?
Do Aspies generally find it hard to swear at other people, or is it just me? Do you ever do this?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 2:34 pm

I don't curse too often. It replaces more substantive words.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

20 Apr 2014, 2:45 pm

I swear too much, I do it without even thinking about it. I don't like the way I talk, that's just what I heard growing up and how the people around me talked.

TaciturnPhantom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Apr 2014, 3:05 pm

I swear too much and too easily. I get into trouble a lot at school and at home for my swearing. When I'm not swearing, I'm silent.

It doesn't help whenever I yell, "OH FOR F***'S SAKE!" at the computer screen in ICT class when something goes wrong or frustrates me. I always get a hefty boot up the backside for it by my teachers.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 3:09 pm

I swear like a sailor and have since I was in grade school. Probably started as a reaction to the Fundamentalist household I was raised in (although My NT sister is as straight-laced as my parents).

I also noticed during my career in Broadcasting that it was common among radio DJs, almost as though it were a way of releasing all the off-color things we couldn't say while the mic was live.

That said, also because of those two environments, I am always aware that there are times and places where that language is not appropriate and I've certainly got an extensive enough vocabulary to either use profanity or not use it and get my point across either way, but there are times when more colorful language makes the point more emphatically.

I'm not usually in the habit of hurling profane invective at other people as personal insult, though, I find that as degrading to the user as it is to the target. While it might be appropriate to describe certain people as R@T B@$T@RDS or whatnot in a third party situation (provided it's the truth), saying things like that to a person's face is equivalent in my mind to spitting on them and I would not stoop to such barbaric crudity.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 3:16 pm

**** no! :wink:

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 3:40 pm

I swear, but not during any kind of professional or personal business related discussion such as with customer service or something like that.

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 4:12 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
**** no! :wink:

Nice one! :lol:

Honestly, I have no idea.
While I am not a fan of swearing, I have done so a lot in my life (probably as any other human). But compared to other people I know directly, I seem still rather calm and am usually alone, if I'm swearing. For me it's something private. :roll:

I doubt there is a person who has never sworn (on others), but of course I can be proven wrong with that assumption.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 4:30 pm

Sylvastor wrote:

I doubt there is a person who has never sworn (on others), but of course I can be proven wrong with that assumption.

You just met someone who has never sworn.

Growing up, my parents never swore in front of us, but it wasn't like I never heard swears. Neighbors, cousins, friends, and classmates swore, so it's not like I never heard anyone swearing. But regardless, I simply don't want to swear, and I just don't feel comfortable at the thought of doing it. And I guess I also just don't see a need for it.

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 4:33 pm

ImeldaJace wrote:
Sylvastor wrote:

You just met someone who has never sworn.

Growing up, my parents never swore in front of us, but it wasn't like I never heard swears. Neighbors, cousins, friends, and classmates swore, so it's not like I never heard anyone swearing. But regardless, I simply don't want to swear, and I just don't feel comfortable at the thought of doing it. And I guess I also just don't see a need for it.

And my thesis was smashed, I was proven wrong. :lol:

BornThisWay
Toucan
Toucan

20 Apr 2014, 4:39 pm

looking over your post, it seems like the real question is not about swearing, but about the fact that you went 'out of character' with your classmates. Sounds like they had pigeonholed you as a certain 'type'...Well, just goes to show that you're just yourself. Then again, if you used cuss words in an inappropriate or weird way - they might find that odd too - and THAT might be what they were questioning. Did you just swear in a normal fashion (like out of frustration or something)? If so, the jokes on them...and you don't need to worry about it.

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 5:16 pm

I don't really swear. I have once or twice said minor swear words when I was really frustrated, but I have never sworn at anyone.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 5:35 pm

In periods I do. Not always.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 5:57 pm

f**k no, i never f*****g swear, i have the best f*****g vocabulary, its god damn clean, never even f*****g swear.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 6:14 pm

I swear a lot, sometimes in situations its not appropriate unintentionally

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 6:24 pm

I only swear when mad or when I die in a video game or messed up in it. I swore today at the game I was playing on my Nintendo 3DS because they made these levels hard. So many obstacles and enemies. But I finally beat it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.