Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

zirsus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Apr 2014, 5:17 am

A boy with psychic disability records the 'bullying' that suffers and the college denounces him.

Christian Stanfield, a 15-year-old teenager with psychic disability that recorded the harassment to which it was submitted by other boys of the college and even by the driver of the bus, has been a defendant of illegal recording for the police of Pennsylvania because of not having the approval of the engraved persons.

The mother of the boy, who comes to a center of special education, sent the recordings to the director of the school to denounce the harassment, but this one urged her to erase them under threat and later he called the police. Finally, the boy has been an arrested for illegal scouts, as reports The Inquisitr.

Organizations like the national association of the autism recommend to use devices of recording in case of suspicion that exists a problem, but others as the teachers' national Association of special education remember that this practice can have legal consequences with regard to the privacy of other children.

The boy was affirming constant that it was suffering bullying in the college and it recorded these situations with the school tablet to demonstrate to his mother " that was not lying ". The school erased the images of the device before calling the police to denounce the child for illegal recordings in a space " in that privacy is waited ". The boy was interrogated by the police. The attorney of the family of the defendant has argued that the recordings were serving to a legitimate intention. The harassing ones that were recorded have not received any sanction for what the parents of the child glide to appeal the decision next April 29 in the near appearance.

When a misfortune happens still they will say that nobody was waiting for it.

trick70
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Apr 2014, 7:07 am

That is sad. Even if I accept the states prohibition on non-consensual recordings, there is a valid complaint that needs to be followed up on. This situation is just another example of someone hiding behind the idea they are protecting someone's rights while they ignore the right of another to be free from harm.

mila_oblong
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Apr 2014, 8:14 am

Psychic disability? Don't you mean psychiatric? Apologies for playing "Grammar Police".

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 10:28 am

mila_oblong wrote:
Psychic disability? Don't you mean psychiatric? Apologies for playing "Grammar Police".

My thoughts exactly. Psychic?? 8O Mind reading, ESP and psychokinetic abilities!

Anyhow, beyond that point, bullying is really never addressed.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

22 Apr 2014, 11:47 am

It's apparently referring to this case:
http://www.inquisitr.com/1216349/christ ... peaks-out/

(judging by the OP's EMail address, his first language isn't English)

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 1:22 pm

This has nothing to do with any bullying or his autism, it's about his recording and how it violates state law on infringing the rights of other citizens by illegally recording conversations. The law is in place to protect people from entrapment and blackmail.

The authorities are not singling the boy out for his disability. The law is the law. They can't change it or reinterpret it at their whimsy.

It would seem that the bus should have a security camera that would have recorded the same event and they could simply subpoena the security video, unless a security cam would violate the same law, but then boarding a bus with a visible security camera would seem to imply consent to being recorded.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 4:37 pm

We have a thread on this case
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt256573.html

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 8:43 pm

Sorry but when I saw this title I thought of this.

Now to the actual story, maybe I should have checked to see if it is illegal in New South Wales to record someone without their permission. It probably is unless you're a cop or a spy. Whoops. After a few months of immature games I called my employers out at a job I had. I showed them a log I'd write in at the end of the day with everything they'd been saying about me through thinly veiled covert aggression (what most people mistakenly call 'passive aggression' even though that's actually something good, like the non violent resistance that Ghandi used for example). They completely folded and tried to reassure me that none of it was happening and that they didn't want me to quit. Only because they knew how much it would hurt them to lose me two weeks out from Christmas. So anyway given that a lot of the cowardly remarks were vaguely threatening I went in there with my head shaved in case I had to defend myself as I'd been growing my hair out and I didn't want them to pull my hair like the big fairies I suspected them of being, like most bullies that run around in packs deep down. The relevant part to this story is that I also had my phone in my pocket recording the conversation I had with two of the guys in case I needed to prove they started any confrontation because I sure as hell didn't go there for that. It kind of p****s me off that if they jumped me without my phone recording it would have been their word against mine and my silly little journal wouldn't have been proof of workplace bullying. I could have just made it all up then gone in and picked a fight. There should be some way that one person can go and stand up for themselves independently against a pack of cowards with proof that they did the right thing without having to break the f*****g law to do it. This kind of thing just empowers cowards who bully or don't have the courage to talk about what's actually bothering them at school or the workplace. They know if they get caught red handed being complete d***s the person that caught them is the one who gets in trouble? wtf? :roll: I don't care, If I was in the same situation I'd probably do it again just to have that trump card proving I wasn't the trouble maker. Also I know what type of guys they were. If I ever find out they were talking crap saying that they fired me or that they intimidated me and scared me off I'll be able to show people the recording and how much they kissed my booty to get me to stay and how they swore they didn't have a problem with me. It's also good to listen to just for a laugh now and then. Considering how bad I felt for the next two weeks after I quit I deserve to be able to enjoy it now.
In short, imagine if you went to confront people like that but you said 'Oh hey, do you mind if I record this?' :lol: Of course that will change their behaviour, it kind of defeats the whole point. Of course a coward won't intentionally do it in the open if they know they'll have to face the consequences of their actions. If nothing else I know that if I asked permission to record them the guys in my case would have told their buddies later on 'If he wasn't recording that we would have beaten him up' when obviously that's not the case.

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 9:03 pm

Willard wrote:
This has nothing to do with any bullying or his autism, it's about his recording and how it violates state law on infringing the rights of other citizens by illegally recording conversations. The law is in place to protect people from entrapment and blackmail.

The authorities are not singling the boy out for his disability. The law is the law. They can't change it or reinterpret it at their whimsy.

It would seem that the bus should have a security camera that would have recorded the same event and they could simply subpoena the security video, unless a security cam would violate the same law, but then boarding a bus with a visible security camera would seem to imply consent to being recorded.

I completely understand what you're saying in terms of the letter of the law but as I pointed out in my post if they knew the bus or even the class room was being recorded that might have changed their actions. Then you just have people getting away with it in the places they know there's no surveillance. And what, the privacy of the students doesn't matter if it's the state bureaucracy watching and recording every day? It only matters if it's someone trying to defend themselves? To clarify I do accept the law as it exists but obviously there are places it might need to change and I have no problem breaking those laws to defend myself or to make a point. It's obscene when people who are breaking the law also hide behind it. Complete hypocrisy. At least this kid only broke it in self defence not to try and hurt others like his bullies did. Even if you just look at it causally it's their illegal behaviour that caused the whole situation. Why no attention on them? It's just exacerbating the problem of bullying instead of dealing with it head on. Would you prefer kids go back to shooting their tormentors with guns instead of cameras?

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 1:44 am

I have to wonder if there would have been the same result, if the parameter of harassment was race, gender, or sexuality. In every jurisdiction, police and procecutors can apply prosecutorial discretion. That is the way they allow an individual to turn into a state's witness and let that person off the hook. So, in the interest of justice, the police and prosecutors could have simply not charged the boy and proceeded with a harassment action against the bullies. If a young woman had recorded a bunch of boys grabbing her breasts, what would the police have done?