Can People with Asperger's syndrome learn how to drive a Car

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mikecartwright
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2014, 10:09 pm

Can People with Asperger's syndrome learn how to drive a Car ? I have met several people with Asperger's syndrome who drive Cars and have learned how to drive is it possible for people with Asperger's syndrome to learn how to drive a Car ? I want to learn to drive and I have Asperger's syndrome but I was told I can't or it would be harder unsafe to drive on the high way/free way by family my question is it possible to drive a car without going on the high ways can the high ways/free ways be avoided when driving is this possible because I have met people who drive but don't go on the free way I have also talked to people with Asperger's syndrome who drive but don't go on the free way ?

ASPERGER'S SYNDROME AND DRIVING

http://www.angelfire.com/amiga/aut/driveas.html

Dhp
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 10:25 pm

Yes. I have Asperger's syndrome, and I drive a car. I have been driving since I was 16. So it is possible.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

22 Apr 2014, 10:35 pm

Yes, definitely.

Many autistic people can't drive, but many others can. I wouldn't even say those who can't drive all have the same reasons for not being able to drive.

BlackSabre7
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 11:12 pm

I have been driving safely for over 15 years.
If you don't need to use the highway to get to where you are going then you can avoid it. Some people drive from their home to their bus stop, or local shop, or nearby job, and never anywhere else. You can certainly have a small, familiar route that you don't stray beyond, and do just fine.
You should probably keep in mind that there might be a requirement on your driving test that you go on the highway for a short while. You could find this out by perhaps asking someone who recently did it, or ask your department of motor vehicles (or whatever it is called in your area).
I do not think the highway is generally the most challenging place to drive. Even though the speeds are higher, there are fewer lights, choices, and possible distractions there also. I find the worst situations are in unfamiliar places with complications such as one ways or tangled up non-orderly roads that are easy to get lost in. They can be distressing and at the same time impossible to stop in and try to figure it out.

You could make a point of never going to such areas if you are concerned. There is no law that I am aware of that says that once you have a license, then you MUST drive everywhere.
Not all tests are the same. The examiner will ask you to drive only within a certain time period on local roads. You could choose the place you go to for your test, and make sure your driving instructor teaches you on those roads. If they are too hard, try another area. I failed three times before I passed my test - nerves and confusion made me make stupid mistakes. I still find I drive very well but if my husband is in the car the distraction can be a problem. I did not get my license until I was 29 - but part of that was lack interest, part was fear of the challenge.

If you drive somewhere and miss your turn, and find yourself going somewhere unknown and don't know how to turn around, you must know how to keep calm, find somewhere legal to pull over and work out how to get back on track. (thank good for GPS's and smart phones!)

I have to say though, that if your family are concerned about your ability to drive, then you should consider whether they have reason to be or not. I do not know you or them, and only hope for your safety. If you think they are underestimating you, then you could take some lessons and see how you go. Keep in mind that the roads are unpredictable, and if you fall apart at the wrong moment, it could have serious consequences.
You could avoid a lot of problems by being patient, practicing, leaving extra time for trips, studying your route before you leave the house, having a GPS and maps you know how to use and I'd say avoid travelling at night until you are very competent, same for very bad weather.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 11:15 pm

I have been driving since I was 15 and some people including my aid thought I wouldn't be able to.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 11:34 pm

People with Asperger's can drive as it has been stated, and they can drive on the highway safely.

As a soon to be transportation engineer I say get used to highways slowly, if you do not live near them. Drive on them, get on/off/change lanes during slow hours (this might be 10 PM). Take time to get used to the environment. Learn to watch for signs and drivers etc. The driving environment is only a bit faster, but it is more crowded with less stops. Experience will help, just build experience slowly.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 11:42 pm

It just depends on how your autism effects you. for some absolutely. wouldn't be surprised if there's an aspie race car driver. But for others no. i'm afraid i might be in the no category. Not good at awareness of my surroundings and seems navigating through traffic would be a sensory overload issue for me. hope i'm wrong and i can master it.

Soham
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2014, 11:47 pm

I don't have a problem with it, I think most with aspergers could do so, but there are some people that should NOT be behind the wheel of several thousand pounds of mass (and I say that in regards to all people in general, not just towards those on the spectrum). I have a few friends that drive like crap, and are often oblivious to a lot of what's around them (they're not on the spectrum).

I consider my self to be a good and safe driver, and so I've been told by others (I actually used to race, was trying to work my way into professional race car driving). I become very engaged in driving and I'm hyper aware of what's around me at all times, almost like the car becomes an extension of my self, and I aim to drive as smoothly and as efficiently as possible. I actually find driving to be very relaxing most of the time, I enjoy road trips and the feeling of freedom, driving is meditative in a way for me....but driving in large cities with lots of fast paced traffic and un-familiar streets can be stressful for me. I have a terrific sense of direction, I always know which way I'm oriented and where I'm headed, but under stress of driving in a fast paced and cramped city (like San Francisco) sometimes I'll get disoriented with which way I'm heading and really stressed/anxious.

Also, driving at night with my "visual sensitivities", the glare from street lights and lights from oncoming traffic can be intense and distracting...not to mention I still have problems with being distracted by and "staring into lights" like I did when I was younger, which isn't the best thing to be doing while driving at night, becoming blinded momentarily :lol: . But I've become better and ignoring such things and focusing on the road and the task at hand.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 11:48 pm

I have a permit and I can only drive simple route.
Im ''stupid'' bless the aspie who can drive.

Soham
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2014, 11:52 pm

EzraS wrote:
wouldn't be surprised if there's an aspie race car driver.

I made my last post before seeing your post....But I raced when I was younger and was pursuing auto-racing, I was a capable driver, I just never had the money or sponsorship to follow through with it all.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 12:16 am

I can drive on country roads but I won't drive here in town. Not that it matters as I no longer have a car.

MysteriousMrR
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Apr 2014, 12:19 am

I have my license but I don't have a car. I haven't driven in a few years.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 12:29 am

I was pushed to pass my test at 18 by my parents, but driving was way too exhausting and overwhelming at the time. I started again 13 years later in an automatic car and love the independence it has given me. My brain is better able to process traffic and I'm using logic (like studying shadows and reflections to anticipate if other cars etc are coming around a corner).

Things like busy roads and glare do make it more tiring at times though.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 12:45 am

It's likely my #1 obsession is turbochargers. I say always learn on a 5 speed manual if you're able, nothing's more common.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

ammmartin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Apr 2014, 1:23 am

As a matter, I'm an aspie and I drive too so yes you can.

In fact, it is no different than any other activity. Once you practice any skill, you become a natural.

Of course when it comes to practicing driving, your priority is becoming comfortable and that is an important priority.

I recommend that you have someone you know such as a trusted family member to help you practice driving. I can understand the discomfort of having a neurotypical bark down orders in practicing driving although in my case that rarely happen but still have someone you trust in helping you practice.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 4:21 am

Op I started a thread like this last year and next week I am taking my driving test.